Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu SP-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu SP-5
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $179
Description: Accessory external speaker with adjustable filters intended to cosemetically match the FT-1000(D).

You can write your own review of the Yaesu SP-5.

K4CLL Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2011 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I am pleased with mine. It is odd how they can put the same speaker in 10 different boxes, and get such different reviews. The sound is closer to the operator because of forward direction, it completes the station in looks. I am pleased with the sound of my FT-1000D without it as well. The filters work, but I really don't care for them in any speaker that I have owned.

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2010 13:45 Send this review to a friend
good for what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
alot of people say its crap.all i can say it sounds better than the tinny speaker in my ft-890.
so i think its good as i need i will fit the bhi dsp when i can this speaker is comms quilty nothing more and it fine for that its no hifi but its ok as for packing it out i cant see how you can tell any diff sounds like pure phycology to me as the sound come from its front not its anus.................jeff.....m6glh.. ps cost me 50 quid..monney well spent.

K3ROJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 20, 2006 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my SP-5 on E-Bay for $30 but was disappointed with it at first but read another review here on E-Ham and obtained some packing to put behind the speaker. It did make it sound much better. I needed another speaker for my ICOM 756PRO and went to a popular electronics retailer. Speakers made for stereos are expensive.Iasked the store clerk if they had any single speakers sold as is. He showed me a medium sized speaker and siad the mate had been damaged since they get them in pairs. I got it for $20 and it actually matches the color of my ICOM and with the small tweeter and mid range speakers, it sounds really great.

NL7FK Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2006 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Good but you can make it great..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yaesu has done a great job with this speaker. As far as thge cosmetics it is top shelf. The sound quality is above average and the built in filters actually work.
I improved the sound quality by leaps and bounds by adding some fiber fill that can be found in any craft shop behind the speaker element. The sound is now full and not tinny.
I did have to replace the speaker element after five years of use. I purchased the speaker element from Yaesu's parts department for $25.00. I was amazed they still had the part.
Anyway the speaker functions as it should and it is not that bad of a speaker. I have heard better and I have heard a lot worse. Matches the FT-1000D and the FT-990.
I run my Icom 706MKIIG on the additional input as well and it makes the 706 play great.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2006 19:56 Send this review to a friend
I LOVE IT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own a Sweet Sound Speaker & love it. I had never owned a "matching" speaker that was worth having ... until I bought the SP-5. I absolutely love it. The Sweet Sound Speaker adds some "lows" ... but the SP-5 seems to provide audio exactly as it is ... completely pure and clean. It is the only speaker by a major radio manufacturer that I think is worth owning. Yes, when they were new, they were over priced. But if I can find another one ... I will buy it immediately.

W6IML Rating: 1/5 Feb 13, 2004 14:02 Send this review to a friend
What junk!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What was Yaesu thinking? I have the FT-1000D, and wanted the matching speaker. It matches alright, but sounds awful! Yaesu would have done well to make a speaker that not only matches it's line of rigs, but make the output sound as good as the input. $.50 worth of insulation would fix the problem with this speaker, but I guess Yaesu was more concerned about matching gear and profit than making a good sounding speaker.
I sold the SP-5, and now use a Sony insulated box speaker with a woofer, mid range and tweeter. Sounds like you are in the room with me!

KD7MBB Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2004 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker but Overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great external speaker for Yaesu transceivers. I got one of these for my FT-1000D and it makes a world of difference in the audio. I like the filter options which really do work to help cut out line noise and bring out the best audio signal possible. Only problem - like all of these transceiver speakers - they are way overpriced!

NX1G Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2002 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
How about you guys leaving the reviews as posted. There is a thing called freedom of speech. You let hams on here who never really own a products review stand, but you erase parts of mine. Shame on you and by the way, it is illegal. Enough said, Thanks for making a great product Yaesu. Of coarse I am sure Eham will erase this too. I now know what pepole are talking about when they say Eham is censoring post to this site. 73, Steve

NX1G Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2002 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Very nice sounding Speaker!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of them and one with the Time Wave DSP unit installed and I have found nothing that is shielded that sounds better and the speaker is a nice match for the great FT1000 radio which I have and love as well. I use one with my FT1000 and one with my UHF/VHF set up. I am a muscian ands sound tech so I do know good audio when I hear it. I may not be that good at cool though, hi hi!!! I really like the control flexibilty and the filter set up. Hey I think the SP5 does look cool , hi hi LOL..but it really sounds great too. 73...

WB9YCJ Rating: 3/5 May 3, 2001 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced as most ext speakers  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wouldnt be surprised if the actual mfg cost is ten percent of retail. Be aware that the Japanese Ham Mfg's often make good money on selling us pricey accessory items (batteries, speakers, crystal filters, etc.). If they need to do it in order to stay alive, more power to them. The SP-5 itself is a good item however you can go to Radio Shack and pick up some nice bookshelf speakers for much less. Same thing with the SP-6. I have run two SP-5's in parallel on each side of the radio. Sounds much better than only one and looks cool!