Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | International Radio (Inrad) Crystal Filters Help

Reviews Summary for International Radio (Inrad) Crystal Filters
International Radio (Inrad) Crystal Filters Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $115-155
Description: Maker of OEM type IF filters for various transceivers. mailto: sales@inrad.net
More info: http://www.inrad.net/

You can write your own review of the International Radio (Inrad) Crystal Filters.

JUNKMAN Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2010 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product and #1 customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought two Inrad filters for my TS-940 to widen the transmit audio and the results are stunning. Excellent filters. One was bad and had to be returned but Trey at Inrad sent me a replacement the next day and I was able to keep the old one installed and the radio still working while I waited on the replacement filter. Now you can't ask for any better customer service than that. Excellent product that works as promised and top notch customer service to go along with it. Don't get any better than that!

SQ5EBM Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2010 04:00 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought and installed (thanks to SQ5NHL and SQ5LTF) #92 Inrad 8pole crystal filter for my TS-2000. Though it is expensive it does the job. Noise level on 80m is s2 lower. It is similar on other bands. DSP works better in sens that you can hear stations better when on 1400hz. CW signals are clearer. It was a good purchase.

Definitely the audio changed ... or were it my ears? ;-). I had to add 2 extra mid and low frequency home audio philips speakers to compensate.

best regards
Maciej "Miles" Muszalski
SQ5EBM / SN5V

W4PAH Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2010 07:38 Send this review to a friend
amazing difference on RX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After mustering up the courage to do the install, I finally am enjoying a much more enjoyable experience listening to CW on my IC-735. I had purchased this filter second-hand (eHam.net classifieds, I think) and it had sat in my closet in the "to do" bin for a long time. After spending some time working on my CW skills, I decided that it was finally time to upgrade the radio.

The installation in the IC-735 was a little tricky. You must wire-in the filter, as it is too large to fit in the optional slot made for the FL-32. The RG-174 coax runs from the top of the board to the filter, which is adhered to an empty spot near the speaker, below. Capacitors are provided for the radios, as needed (the IC-735 requires them). The trickiest part of the entire install was getting access to a solderable point of the radio. This vintage of Icoms don't have foil on both sides of the PC board, so you must gain access from below. Lots of wiring harnesses and other physical difficulties make it a particular challenge.

In any case, I am *very* pleased with how well the filter removes adjacent QRM on CW. I only wish there was room for a narrow filter on SSB, too (or that this filter could also be used in SSB for digital modes).

Great job, Inrad!

F5VIM Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2009 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Inrad CW IF Filters (TS930)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently equipped my TS930 with two Inrad 250Hz CW filters (# 22 for the 2nd IF 8.830 MHz and # 186 for the 3rd IF 455 kHz), replacing the two Kenwood CW filters. It was a shock, really amazing. You don't believe it if you don't hear it by yourself. Though I consider the original filters as beeing of quite decent quality, with the INRED filters you boost your receiver beyond what you expect.

About one year ago I already purchased the INRAD TS930 roofing filter option. Of course the effect by essence is less pronounced as for these steep IF filters. I am very happy with this roofing filter, it is a real improvement.

The INRAD service is really great, a real service by HAMs, for HAMs : Filters in stock, shipped immediately, perfectly packaged, precise documentation. These product are really worth the price. Tnx Tray.

Klaus - F5VIM

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2009 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Great product, Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a used FT 1000D that had all the stock filters, but was missing the accessory CW 250Hz 3rd IF filter (Yaesu YF-110-CN) I could not find either a used one or a new one anywhere. INRAD not only carries them,(#704C), they have them IN STOCK. It was on my door within a couple of days, along with the roofing filter. The quality was OEM, and it plugged right in. Performance was great, it works as advertised.

An amateur radio company run by, and for hams. Great!

K0EX Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2009 07:16 Send this review to a friend
for a Kenwood TS-570D(G)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just bought a 2nd TS-570D(G). in my 1st 570, i have the 500Hz YK88C-1. for this 2nd one, i decided to try an Inrad 400Hz. after installing the Inrad, i put both radios simultaneously on antennas. wow... what a difference btwn the filters! the stock 500Hz filter has "blow-by" for several kHz beyond the roll-off point of the audible signal. the Inrad 400Hz rolls off faster, steeper, and has no detectible "blow-by", period. yes, two of the ten filter-mounting pins on the 570's main PC-board have to be snipped. be prepared for doing that. i am very, very happy with the Inrad filter!

G4IPZ Rating: 3/5 Feb 29, 2008 10:13 Send this review to a friend
filter works great but......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to add the narrow band ssb filter to my TS130S. I could have taken the one out of my qrp TS130V and in hindsight wish I had.
I ordered the filter from Inrad since no one in the UK had them at all (Normal thing "Sorry sir thats sooooo old!") and they're like rocking horse manure on ebay.
Ok the price was good as was the shipping to the UK but what I didn't realise was that the unit which was to be supplied is not a pin for pin substitue for the OEM filter.
Firstly the filter itself is much larger than the OEM device. Also the pin outs do not even correspond. Hence it is supplied with a piece of thin coax, a strip of double sided tape and a poor quality photocopied installation sheet.
The first problem was that to stick the filter on the side of the vfo housing where Inrad suggest needed two pieces of coax of the length of the single piece they supplied to reach the IF board. Inrad state the one piece supplied, when cut in two will allow installation. This is totally incorrect. Luckily my junk box offered up some suitable cable.
Wiring up the filter wasn't a problem and fitting the coax to the IF board was ok but no matter how you try fitting the filter in the suggested position, two of the connection wires are very likely to short onto the lower case half even with the connections trimmed. So I ended up having to add some insulating material above the filter 'just in case' .
As for the performance I can only be quantitative with my ears.
It is certainly no worse than the OEM filter in my TS130V and switching back and forth between the 130V and 130S on the same signal showed no discernible difference one way or the other.
Inrad make the excuse that the filter they supply is larger than the OEM device because it's better.
Hmmmm - maybe it is if you sling the gear on a test jig but audibly it seemed the same to me.
So the filter's OK but a bit more clarity as to the level of modification required prior to placing the order would have been a nice idea.

W3PH Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2005 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Added a pair of 400 Hz filters to a TS-940 that I'm refurbishing, and performance is the best I've seen. Filter skirts are very sharp (signals just disappear when you cross the edge of the bandpass).

Shipped immediately, got the filters in about 3 days.

8P6SH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2004 01:06 Send this review to a friend
There's nothing better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've purchased a number of inrad IF filters, for Kenwood and Yaesu rigs and they have significantly improved the performance of each rig.

Up to now, I've used the 2.1KHz, 1.8KHz and 400Hz filters mainly for 8 or 9 MHz IF's but also for the 455KHz IF.

The 400 is particularly good for CW and RTTY, while the 2.1 is a great compromise between sharp selectivity and fidelity. I've found the 1.8 good for contests, but a pair of 1.8's cascaded makes copy for me a little more difficult.

My last order involved some complicated shipping to get the filters to me at a hotel, before travelling, and the service was excellent, and filters arrived on time!!!

For serious competition grade DXing and contests, there's nothing better.

N4HY Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2004 12:37 Send this review to a friend
A must for FT1000 owners  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently purchased the FT1000MP modifications from Inrad as well as optional filters. The modifications if you purchase them all, fix the key clicks, hiss, etc. well known problems. The filters really make the radio much more enjoyable in crowded CW and RTTY bands. The FT1000MP is a great radio but is really improved with the Inrad upgrades. They were professionally packaged and delivered promptly.