Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | AALog for Windows 3.1/9x/NT Help

Reviews Summary for AALog for Windows 3.1/9x/NT
AALog for Windows 3.1/9x/NT Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $49.00
Description: Shareware Logger
More info: http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/aalog/

You can write your own review of the AALog for Windows 3.1/9x/NT.

VE6DRW Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2009 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Seamless Operation with Other Programs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried just about all software logging programs over the past 5 years. As a professional software developer, I have found most to be poorly designed and executed. However, AALog 3.0 is a winner! It integrates very well with other programs, such as DX Atlas, OMNIRig, and Band Master; allowing seamless control of the radio(s) across all programs; true point and click operation with DX Spots in Band Master.

The user interface is thoughtfully designed which makes it easy to record QSOs quickly. There is ample room to record QSO-specific data (notes, pictures and awards), which makes it ideal for rag chewing, nets and casual operating. I don't do much contesting, so I can't comment on that aspect of its operation.

For digital modes, it interfaces with TrueTTY and CWGet, CWType, also part of the DXSoft suite of programs.

For tech support, you e-mail directly to the developer. Response and communication has been very good.

For about $100, you can have a very sophisticated suite of programs that provide solid integration for just about all ham radio computer functions. Well worth the money. AALog by itself is about $50.

In summary, its the BEST value in logging software that I can find.

W4CX Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2006 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Intuitive, Simple...not bloated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't tell you how many logging programs I've tried and bought, DXBase, DX4WIN, and lots of others. Maybe I'm stupid, but all those bells and whistles and window-after-window-after-window of automation literally rips the heart out of the personal experience of hamming for me. I want an simple, elegant, up-to-date (XP type GUI)logging solution that flows well and has all the right features, but not too many features. I find AALog suits my needs perfectly. I don't want to overstate it, but it's a joy to use AALog because it enhances my ham-time, not complicate it! Plus, Alexander is VERY responsive to questions. He really wants to make his customers happy. I also have his CWGET and BandMaster software, and use his integration into DXAtlas features. I never have found hamming experience rudely interrupted by a complicated bloatware logging package. And the GUI is very easy on the eyes and habits of this XP power user. I recommend AALog highly

TF3KX Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2005 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Simple, yet serves most of my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using AALog for about a month. No logging software seems to do EVERYTHING I would want, but AALog seems to come closest. What I specifically like is:

- Ability to keep separate logs for /QRP, /P, etc.
- More "Windows-like" interface than many other software; easy to use.
- Simple and uncluttered interface.

What I would like to see different or improved:

- Some aspects of the integrated awards manager.
- It would be nice to be able to define my own ADIF-fields (my power output, antenna, etc.). I am not aware of any logging software providing this kind of customization.

I usually don't give "5" for rating, but I simply found no other software that came close to the AALog in terms of user-frienliness and the aspects I mention above.

AE6GT Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2004 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product Support and Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
This product is really rated a 5 out of 5, not the 4.7 at the time of this writing. The one reader gave it a 1/5 on the trial version because the reader put all his eggs into the trial version and was unable to export his contact due to its trial version limitations. This is not fair to the product evaluation at all.

My story is that I purchased and have used AALog on my WinXP platform for 2 years without much thought to how well it performs to the point it has become a real fixture in the shack and taken for granted. This last week Windows did something funny during an external hard drive backup up routine and I presume corrupted my log files of two years, DX contacts and all. I could not open the log files despite my efforts. The feelings of loss I can't express.

With very low expectations, I pulled down the "Help" menu from within the program and emailed the author, Alexander. To my surprise, he responded within 24 hours. Imagine that two years later, well beyond a reseasonable warrantee period, the author responds to address my problem!

I explained the symptoms of the problem and he requested I email him the log files. Within another 24 hour period he responded with the log files restored. That is great service!!! He went beyond my expectations.

What I like about AAlog, 1) Integration of DX Atlas, an atlas/mapping program that provides dx station location, beam heading, city, greyline, mag flux, topo info, scaling, much information, etc. on map for visualization, 2) rig control via Ham Port(free), so that you don't have to manually enter freq or band into the appropriate field, 3) File handling, import/export log files, create unlimited of user defined logs, duplication detection of previously worked stations, and 4) Product Support. These are the Top 4 with many other feature worth discussing but can not due to review column limitations.

All is working fine now, backup routines, file sharing between two computers and all. Congratulations to Alexander, well done.

73's

SQ5BE Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2003 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Log  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using AALog for already 8 months,
and it does a great job. Easy, fast and solid.

K5JX Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2003 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Logger  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been very satisfied with this program, except for one minor shortcoming. It does not provide for deleted entities. If Alexander can fix that, it will have everything I need.

KB6TRR Rating: 1/5 Feb 2, 2003 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Do not use trial version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Software is not bad I tried it for a couple of months but decided instead to go with TRX- Manager which is a complete rig control program and has the logging function built in. By the way TRX Manager is a great multifunction program. However when trying to export 3 months worth of logs into my new logging program I find that there is no export function in the "Trial Version". Had there been ample warning of this prior to use I would have never tried it. I contacted AALog feedback on their web page and not even the courtesy of a reply. I say forget it, and try one of the excellent freeware/shareware or commercial programs out there that allow for exporting log data in the trial version.

MW0EDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2002 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice stuff. Comprehensive support. Almost friendly guys from Russian.

Russia rules the logging software ??

73 !

4X6HP Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2002 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great log  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tryed first version 1.1. Now we have 2.3. More powerful, easy to use. Evry bug or something Alex fix within few days.

ON1DSZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2002 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using AALog for already 6 months,
and it does a great job.
I have never problems, it is easy to use and
you can specify many options.
I hope that the new release of AALog will
have a contest-mode, then will the program
for me perfect.