Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | RF Applications VFD Help

Reviews Summary for RF Applications VFD
RF Applications VFD Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: 0-3kW or 0-5kW Vacuum Fluorescent Display Wattmeter.

No longer available. A high end VFD (vacuum flourescent display) replacement meter called the PowerMaster has been introduced as a replacement for the VFD. See website for info.
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com

You can write your own review of the RF Applications VFD.

K7UXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2009 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will keep this one simple. I give it a 5 because:
It measures peak reading SWR quickly and accurately.
It does it well.
It has not broken, nor does it appear prone to.
It is straightforward and simple to use and set up.

Cons that do not detract from the 5 rating because they are probably beyond the scope of the design.

Not available in N connectors. UHF connectors are obsolete. (the meter is not available any more either!)

Plastic display box. I would not use it in an environment where it may be receive an impact.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2008 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Continues to please  Time owned: more than 12 months
More than 12 months followup and I finally joined the QRO crowd with my modest SB-200 I picked up on eBay. The VFD wattmeter satisfyingly shows the higher power levels coming from this classic amp. (It also demonstrated that I have a problem loading it up on 10 meters - but that's another story.) If you can find one of these classic digital readout Power/SWR meters, buy it - you won't be disappointed. A great addition to any shack. Remote sensor lets you put the meter right in front of you. Alarm settings let you keep track of trouble. Very satisfied. Highly recommended.

K2FDR Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2007 18:09 Send this review to a friend
A great wattmeter! Easy on the eyes!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 5kw version of the VFD wattmeter on ebay. What a pleasant surprise to see quality workmanship and remarkable accuracy for reasonable price. The meter has the SWR alarm option, to let you know when your SWR are beyond 3.0. Easy on the eyes... you won't need your reading glasses... The VFD is no longer produced, however, there is a new version currently available at more than twice the price!

Find a good, clean, used one, and it will be the last wattmeter you'll ever buy.

W7KPQ Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2005 14:02 Send this review to a friend
A Great Meter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This meter is no longer manufactured and there are no more in stock. It's a pity, because it's a great meter. If you can find one on the used market, purchase one, you won't be sorry!

WB6Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2004 23:21 Send this review to a friend
My last wattmeter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simply the best digital wattmeter on the market. Had to wait 6 months for delivery from RF Applications but well worth the wait. If you got an amp you can tune it for maximun output on the bar graph. Love it when it hits a digital readout of 2200 watts on voice peaks, into a dummy load of course.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2004 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Best Value Out There  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'll just add my high marks to the others. My favorite feature is the remote head; let's me put it where I need it and not crowd up the shack. The bar graph display is something to be seen in person; no way to describe how good it is and how useful it is. The SWR alarm is a real winner, too. Highly recommended.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2004 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this meter about 4 years ago at Dayton. Paid a high price for it but it is worth every cent. Accurate and reliable. I use it to tune my Alpha 99 and it takes every watt without squawking. Nice peak reading indicator, even displays my callsign. The meter is on many hours a day and no sign of display fading or dimming, still bright and clear. Highly recommended. One complaint, cheap plastic housing could use improvement and then it would be near perfect.

PA5DD Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2004 02:50 Send this review to a friend
Using it on more bands  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the VFD some time ago with the 3kW HF coupler. It is not calibrated on 50MHz, but rather showns 75% of the true output.

The real innovation of the VFD is the readout unit. I am wild about the peak indication, which in contrast to the BIRD range of wattmeters works fine with SSB. The bar graph gives a good tuning indicator without any button actions needed.

I made some couplers for 144MHz & 432 MHz. Calibrated them to the same scale as the HF coupler, and simply paralleled them to give one central readout for 1.8MHz - 432 MHz. Great !

The story about the extra couplers can be found here: http://home.hccnet.nl/uffe.noucha/uffe/tech/vfd/vfd.htm

W4TQT Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2004 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice looking and seems to be accurate. Or at least agrees with the power meter in my Ameritron AL-80B. I like the VSWR protection feature. My unit arrived with one nut rattling around inside the case and two others loose. But it worked fine after correcting this problem. I will overlook this and assume the assembly person was having a bad day.

The manufacturer seems willing to talk to you and offer help if needed. My only dislike is a personal preference - I prefer a meter rather than a led display. The led seems to flutter and fades out on the high end where you really want to see it. Overall though I'm satisfied.

W7KPQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2004 15:22 Send this review to a friend
What a Great Meter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This meter is the cat's meow. It's works like a charm. It performs well and the information it displays is very, very accurate. Most Highly Recommended!