Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000
Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$50-150 on auction/E-Bay
Description: Year Produced 1964
16M
17.1 - 18.5 MHz
16.87 - 18.78 MHz
More info: http://www.radiks.net/~tdufres/transoceanic.html

You can write your own review of the Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 00:05 Send this review to a friend
A piece of American history  Time owned: more than 12 months
With out any doubt this is an American classic! The 3000 is the same as the 1000/1000D before it with the addition of the FM broadcast band. When properly aligned they are high end performers as far as portable receivers go. No there not the most selective and they lack a built in BFO (some folks add their own or use a Zenith add on kit) but for the era they come from they're top notch! The sound quality from these radios is also nice. As far as the solid state T/Os go, the 1000/3000 series are the best looking in my book.

I own several and things to watch out for are cracked handle which also happens to be the whip antenna housing (Zenith calls it a "wave rod"), battery leakage that has corroded the chassis (slight leakage from past batteries isn't uncommon, don't let that worry you) and of course bubbling finish of the exterior metal parts. This sadly is common on the 1000/3000 series radios.

If you find one in good to excellent condition that is complete, buy it. Once aligned and tuned properly, you wont be disappointed by this great American icon.

VE7LGT Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2005 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Great sounding and classy looking  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hate to brag but I got mine at a garage sale. I asked how much he said make an offer I said $5.00 (thats Canadian) he said sold . Now it sits on my desk beside my bed . Mine also has The BFO kit This works not bad but is fairly touchy with no fine tuning control

KC0GXX Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2001 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Golden Oldie!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my latest addition to my growing Trans Oceanic family. I gotta say, this one really is cool. It is a Zenith Trans Oceanic 3000. It was built in 1964. This is "transistorized", unlike the ones before it, and still has that GREAT T/O sound.
I found one on E-Bay, I got the bid. Pretty heavy competition at the end, got bumped up all the way to $33.00. I thought it was a steal, and it is.

This is a cool oldie. Got the dial lamp working, and it glows like the dash of my old '66 Dodge Charger. Nice! I did some mild cleaning, and it really looks good. Beautiful sound, incredible sensitivity an selectibility. All and all a really good receiver. I have the Radio Shack's DX-398, and although the push-buttons and whistles and bells on the R/S rig are nice, the Trans-Oceanics' sound is sooo nice! Not bad for $33.00, eh?