Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 76PA Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 76PA
Alpha 76PA Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1,350
Description: Description: ALPHA Legacy Amp.
3 - 8874's
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 76PA.

N6YV Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 23:08 Send this review to a friend
great workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just keeps on ticking. I have had this for15 years and it just loafs along. All SSB work.

EA1AUS Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2012 21:02 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned for over 10 years and till today with original tubes operating on all modes. I have an other new amplifier but this one is my favourite.

K2WO Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2012 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an Alpha 76 for several years now and all I can say is that it is the best legal limit amp that I have ever owned. I've owned Henry, Heath, Collins Ameritron and while they all have their own strong points, the Alpha blows them all away. It is quiet and puts out full power with little drive. It is built like the proverbial tank and it is in a relatively small (albeit heavy) package. I strongly recommend Alpha and the new company, RF Concepts, is great to deal with and provides technical support for even their older products. You just can't beat Alpha!

AH6RR Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2012 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Like a Rock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ran across a 76PA 2 holer at a yard sale I guess some CB'er had the thing for (are you sitting down???) $45.00 yes $45 bucks. and after going through it cleaning and testing componets I found some bad componets in the power supply changed them out and hooked it up to my Variac slowly brought up the voltage and no bangs Yea.
I let it burn in for 24 hours a full voltage then applied 50W drive and got around 1100W out so the tubes were good I then rasied the input power to 80W and got 1450W out man am I a Very Happy Camper ;-). In the last year I have compleatly rebuilt a SB220 and it looks like a tinker toy compaired to this ALPHA man what a Tank. I hope to use this amp for years to come.

ZS4U Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2011 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Alpha Legacy Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did not understand the hype about Aplha amps until I got one...... I picked up the 76PA in pristine condition for $1800 which is a lot of money for an old amp. I have not regretted it yet and I must confess - it crept in under my skin. The amp easily delivers 1400 watts with 80w drive and it is super quiet. I did the QSK mod and now it rocks on CW. Why do I like it?

a. Rock solid construction.

b. Vernier knobs for precision tuning.

c. VERY quiet.

d. Low plate and grid current at high output.

e. Still supported by Alpha.

f. Integration with new rigs is no problem.

g. It just looks good!

The only negative part is the availability of replacement tubes.......

WX4US Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2011 09:15 Send this review to a friend
76A Dick Byrd modified  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I found a remarkable deal on a 76A 2 holer that was all original and running up to specs. I asked N4UQ to modernize it with low drive, WARC bands, 3cx800 tubes. The unexpected bonus was a type of tuned input! My FT-1000MP MkV now sees VSWRs of less than 1.3:1 going into the amp on all bands. Legal limit is a walk in the park for the 2 800s with drive levels of between 35 and 50 watts depending on band. Dick also rebuilt my cooling fan and it runs even quieter than before. The only thing I would do differently...I would have added the QSK and soft start mod just to complete the package. For a small "foot print" amp it delivers large scale value.

N9PYS Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 76A  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Didn't see a category for a 76A 2-tuber, so I'll just put it here. Bought mine 2nd hand from a retired Ham. The amps in perfect shape inside and out and I love it. I re-built a SB220 and a AL80A about a year ago and both were better than new. I had an ich to look for an alpha and found this one. I sold the SB220 and kept the AL80A for a backup. The Alpha is everything they say it is. Very nice looking and easy to tune. Mine will cruise at 1350w on just about every band. I know the 8874's are expensive and hard to find but the ones it came with are in great shape, so hopefully they will last. If not I'll send it to Dick Bryd and get the 3cx800 upgrade. I talk to Dick right after I got this one and he said if ain't broke don't fix it. Glad I had the ich. So the Alpha bug has bit me forever.

W7AAA Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Hard to Believe This Amp is 30 Years Old!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an Alpha 76PA out of an SK estate at a fair price. I am running it on 110 and this beauty will put out a kilowatt with 55 watts in on SSB. Signal reports are great. This is the first amp I have owned. I'm glad I waited until I could get an Alpha. Alpha really makes amplifiers to last.

N4JHY Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2010 05:51 Send this review to a friend
LOAFS ALONG!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a good deal on this amplifier (June 2010) as the three 8873's were soft, and band switch was trouble. Previous owner ran it on 27 megs!?!?!

Did a conversion to a new pair of Eimac 3cx800a7's and replaced the band switch and now the amp just purrs along at legal limit.

Have run a Drake L-4B for 20 years, and just wanted something new, and am very happy with this 76PA. I have wanted one of these amps since they came out, and decided to "pull the trigger" when this one came available.

Also, wanted an amp that would do 160 meters, and loaf along at legal limit.

At legal limit, the grid current meter just wiggles a slight bit, and the amp is much cooler running than my beloved L-4B.

Heavily recommended, especially if you can do your own work.

See you on 160 this winter! Look for my big Alpha signal!

W3PH Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2010 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Great amp, great support from RF Concepts  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 76PA is at least 25 years old, but still performs beautifully. Very easy to tune (settings are stable - just dial in the numbers and you're ready), plenty of power.

Mine developed a power supply problem a few months ago and I decided to send it to RF Concepts to see if it made sense to trade it for something new. They checked it out quickly & said all it needed were new power supply caps & diodes, and that the tubes were still fine (after all these years - nice). Decided to let them fix it rather than trade it in, for now. Fixed & shipped back quickly. Very impressed with RF Concepts. I asked a millions questions, and they were very patient, and the 76PA is as good as new.