Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-T22A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-T22A
Icom IC-T22A Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $230
Description: 2 Meter HT
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-T22A.

KB4MQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2014 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Good basic 2 meter HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up one of these on ebay a while back and while I have a number of fancier HTs, I just like this little unit. When I reach for an HT this is usually the one I grab. It works great and is one of the simpler radios to operate. I like that it uses a BNC antenna connector; yeah, I know I'm being old fashioned disliking the SMA connectors. I have several other ICOM HTs that use the same batteries, so I have a half dozen of them and a couple of fast chargers. There are LiIon battery packs available for them now.

W9CLL Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2011 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Good small HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my T-22A for well over 17 years now and it still works as good as the day I got it.

The only downside I have run into is the weak antenna connector. When using a longer antenna like the Smiley telescoping 1/2 wave the strain on the connector causes it to break the solder joint in the rig. I have over the years disassemble this little radio to re-solder the pin many times and I no longer use a bigger antenna as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

You can pick these up cheap and with a quick mod will receive 108 to 170mhz including AM aircraft.

73's
W9CLL

PATRICK526 Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2005 08:36 Send this review to a friend
A high tech radio in its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this radio years ago, when cellular phones are not yet that popular and when text messaging are not yet integrated to GSM phones. Yes, this radio (I think) pioneers the use of "text messaging" since it can transmit 8 letter characters to another radio (Icom brand). I love this radio, very highly efficient on power, great TX and RX (most especially, it can received cellular signals) and very small. However, the quality is not that great. The antenna connector just broke off sometimes. I didn't expect that quality from Icom... but it just happened.

WR2W Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2004 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice, Very Nice...  Time owned: months
I started off in 1988 with a IC-02AT, with the IC-2GAT, IC-T2H, IC-V8, and the IC-T22A since then. The IC-T22A is very well built, fits very nicely in my hand, easy to operate, has a manual squelch, and a very good but long antenna. It's design makes very good use of the battery packs with lower mAh ratings. The battery is the full bottom of the HT so it stands stable. The 12V DC In jack is very nice to have for mobile use but is not the standard size barrel. The display contrast adjustment could be better but it is best viewed from above. The belt clip is steel, and mounts on the HT itself, not the battery where you have to change it when replacing batteries. The new belt clips are plastic, and can break easily. Sensitivity is very good, and yes, some intermod but they all have it...the nature of the beast. The speaker audio is not as full-bodied as my IC-T2H or V-8 but very good with enough volume. All in all, a very nice HT...

KB3IKG Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2003 00:45 Send this review to a friend
First Radio, Good Experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio even before I got my ham ticket nearly two years ago. Its very rugged and well sheilded. I've used it in all conditions with good results. The battery life is pretty good and its DC input can handle a wide voltage range. I've used this with an amp with excellent results. My only 2 minor qualms are the intermod and perhaps the battery it comes with. It has a habbit of picking up strong signals in the 150MHz range. And the battery that comes with it only allows it to do 3.5W. Getting a stronger battery or hooking it up to a strong external power source allows it to transmit at 5W.

Really nice radio otherwise and I would reccommend it to beginners.

YD1WYD Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2002 09:17 Send this review to a friend
T22A IS O.K  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased T22A second hand from local ham radio store. It still working fine now. Good frequqncy RX coverage from 54 - 412 mhz, but only TX from 124 - 180 Mhz. For me T22A is good radio.

73 de fri YD1WYD.

KD4SAI Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2002 00:46 Send this review to a friend
Really energy efficient with the battery pack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am impressed with this radio, it has great recieve sensitvity and draws very little current from the battery pack during recieve and transmit. I have had good audio reports, could have had a little more audio in the transmit but I have fixed that problem by venting a small hole where the buit in mic is on the front right side of the radio. This seemed to have dramatically increased audio sensitvity and some added audio boost to make a more legible contact when long distance is an issue. I have found that the portable antenna that came with the radio works better than most stock portable antennas that come on the hand helds today. The internal speaker could be a little louder but works great when you are inside a room or where it is rather quiet or when you use an external speaker. I would say this is a great radio, but it is priced rather high for being a mono-band VHF hand held.

KD7OLF Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2002 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Good 2m Handheld  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this radio as a factory refurb, getting it for about half normal new prive. Overall the radio is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone. It was a replacement for a HTX-202 that was getting too bulky to carry with me all the time. The small size is nice, although it's not too small to be inconvienient. The radio functions perfectly, although I have two minor complaints about the radio. First off, the display is somewhat lacking in contrast if it's not in direct light. Not unreadable, but could be better. Second is that the radio seems to be designed to be used with the left hand. In the left hand, the buttons are exactly where you would expect them and the feel is very good. In the right hand though, the small PTT button requires a bit more awkward position in the hand that's not quite as comfortable or secure feeling. Even so, I feel this is a quality product that is well worth the money for anyone looking for a durable, smaller 2m handheld.

VU3SCD Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2001 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Best Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a proud owner of IC-T22A for more than 2 years and the way I have handled it you will be superised that it is still working. The Set is super HT. Through I have opened all its locks on the RX and TX freq, but man the set is the best.
I tell you one day my wife was cleaning the bed and the set was on the bed , she was unware of the set presence, she took the bed sheet in a hurry and the set went flying in the air over 3m and came down on the LCD side. My heart skipped the beat. When I took the set I the hand and pressed the on button HEY I came alive it was TX on the local repeter. Though they was some damage to the set, but very less. I was very happy.

So guys If you go for a 2m HT go for IC-T22A . It has a RX from 100Mhz to 410Mhz and TX from 118Mhz to 174Mhz.If you have doubts call me at 91-11-5640634 or you can mail me.

WD4FGH Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2001 00:45 Send this review to a friend
Hefty, easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio has been around a while. I can't believe somebody hasn't reviewed it before.

Basically, its a "medium format" HT. This means the buttons and knobs are large enough for a man to use as long as some care is exercised! I chose it from dozens of others at a recent hamfest because it was large enough to see and feel! Those tiny little HTs (including the multi-banders) are ergonomically impossible so far as I'm concerned.

The 22a has a rugged feel and has so far lived up to that in service. Programming it took me a while to master, but not too long. Now it seems fairly easy--much easier than the 32A. Battery life is excellent if you don't get too long-winded. The rubber duck antenna should, of couse, be replaced. Also the wall wart is very slow to charge the unit, so I'd recommend Icom's or a 3rd party's rapid charger.

The receiver is super sensitive (with a better antenna) and transmit audio reports I've gotten are good, too. It has more memories that most will ever use. The standard battery allows 3 watts out and I've found this entirely adequate. It'll put out five using 13.8 volts in. Another plus is the squelch is a real knob, not a menu function.

I highly recommend this HT to anyone who is concerned that HT's are getting too small. It has most of the bells and whistles and is still big enough to find if dropped.

My only major complaints with it are display contrast and the manual. Its kind of dim under incandescent lights and I can't tell the difference between the two contrast settings. The manual is thorough but strangely organized and worded.