Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | SGC SG-2020 ADSP Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-2020 ADSP
SGC SG-2020 ADSP Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $795.00
Description: SG-2020 ADSP Synthesized HF-SSB Transceiver (20WATTS - 1.8-29.7 MHZ)
Catalog #05-02
-Including: single 50 ohms output antenna connector
-Dynamic fist microphone included
-Pending DOC certification as applicable; CE Certified
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com/2020/2020adsp.htm

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-2020 ADSP.

AA3LE Rating: 3/5 May 11, 2003 00:04 Send this review to a friend
ASDP2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just received my unit back from SGC with the new ASDP2 installed. Am not happy for these reasons, 1. with the ASDP2 on a cracking noise is heard in the speaker when a strong SSB signal is heard. It will only go away when the ASDP2 in turned off and 2. A loud hum is foung in the earphone when the ASDP2 is on making CW operation difficult. It will go away when the ASDP unit is off. SGC has agreed to take another look at the unit and it will be shipped back. I am hopeful I just have a bad unit and this is not standard.

AE5OV Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2003 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Best I've ever used!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ever since I saw the SG-2020, I have wanted it. It was my dream rig. But I read some reviews that said it wasn't all that great. Like a fool, I believed the hype, and didn't buy one when I had the chance.
Fast forward several years of waiting, and I finally got the SG-2020 ADSP. I chose to check it out myself. I could kick myself for not getting one sooner.
When I first tuned 30m, there was a signal buried way down. My wife and I couldn't copy him at all.
I narrowed the bandwidth, and kicked in the ADSP. Boom! As the 2m guys say "full quieting" it was almost scary how well we pulled this station out of the mud.
I primarily work CW with this rig, and have yet to plug in the mic. I may never use the mic because I am new to iambic keying, and I'm learning how to do that. So far, iambic is pretty cool, and the keyer in the radio is good.
The functions are fairly easy to memorize and are well placed. Single hand operation of the controls is possible and easy.
I really like this radio. I would reccomend it over any of the others in this class.

K0KAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2003 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Don't Leave Home Without It  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio for portable and occasional mobile use. Also one of my favorites at home. Punchy Tx audio and good rcv audio. Very simple to operate (not burdened with excessive menu's). Excellent DSP. All around good little package that grows on you. Built tough, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

N2XE Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2002 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Well Done!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent rig in a bulletproof package. I purchased the rig primarily for portable operation and it fits the application very well. Power consumption is relatively low, size and weight is perfect. Receiver is sensitive and selective, the DSP works great. Transmit audio is good and RX audio is fantastic. The controls and menus are easy to follow and the front panel is well thought out. The mechanical design and construction is as exceptional on the inside as it is on the outside. Customer service at SGC is exceptional!

The unit isn't loaded with bells and whistles but it is a solid performer in a really nice package. An excellent value that will last forever.

N4JBI Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2002 21:58 Send this review to a friend
A great Rig1  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have worked with the SGC-2000's, and tuners overseas in very rough terrain. I have, over the years learned that SGC is here to stay and they make tough radios. So when the SG-2020 came out I watched for a while, not really wanting a radio without DSP. Then the SG-2020ADSP came out and I had to have one. It is a fun rig, is very tough, and works well. I get reports all the time that the VOGAD audio is punching right through the pile up, and they can't tell me from the 100watt rigs.
The DSP filter is fully adjustable and has almost "brickwall" skirts. Overall this is a great little rig, I find myself using it in the shack, instead of my other rigs, and I have lots of them! I purchased a third party backpack, added a 7.5 AH battery and what a "backpack" rig this is.
You'll love it, it's a well built little rig.
The microphone is a little "whimpy" -cheap-". I added an H-250 military handset to correct this little shortcoming. Not to worry about the "pigtail" connectors, they appear to be well built and should last fine. Go for it you won't be sorry, a great little fun rig!

STEVE Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2002 18:37 Send this review to a friend
we love it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The radio is a real good work-horse i have a m3 call 10w p.e.p in the uk,i get very good reports from all over the world the dsp makes a 10w p.e.p sound like a 50w signal.The mk1 was great this is even better i love it when i tell folk what radio i am on,get the feeling they think i am kiding,that just says it all to me.This is a real radio mans radio it just works well & does the job,what more do you want.THE BEST RADIO I HAVE EVER HAD & yea i tryed them all.