Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-196T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-196T
Alinco DJ-196T Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $189.00
Description: Two meter Handie Talkie
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-196T.

KC7SBQ Rating: 1/5 Jul 30, 2009 03:14 Send this review to a friend
This is not a good radio, Alinco screwed up  Time owned: more than 12 months
Alinco screwed up on this one. They made no provision to dissipate heat. The power output on my D-196 suddenly dropped to MW's after three years of medium use. The radio really can't be repaired. Costs more than new to fix it. I am hesitant to buy another Alinco handi-talkie. Its a shame, it was an easy radio to program. Alinco could have done better, especially when I compare the Alinco radio's quality to my still working , but ancient, Icom IC2AT.

VE2MNC Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2009 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Decent overall  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good little radio. Had mine for probably 4 years now and it's taken a massive beating. I also have owned an Icom T-90A and the Alinco beats it hands down. My only problem or complaint would be the battery contacts on it are terrible. They never make proper contact and the radio will power off all the time.

Pros
----------
Solid
Easy programming
Intermod is decent
Battery life is good
No hidden problems. Not amazing unit, but no bad surpsises

Cons
----------
Battery contacts
Bit of a keydance to operate (But nothing compared to the Icom)

VK2FTNY Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2008 20:33 Send this review to a friend
3yrs and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had this H/T for over 3yrs and in that time has proven very reliable.I bought it on ebay for $165 australian delivered to my door,Now 3yrs ago the cheap chinese imports hadnt arrived here so $165 was very reasonable for hand handheld.As mentioned in previous reviews the unit is solidly built and can survive most operators day to day uses.Mine has been permanently mounted in my 4x4 for the last 2yrs and never failed me yet.I run it on constant 13.8v with the battery removed to save the extra bulk and use an external speaker mike for the handpiece and an external mounted antenna.For the first 12mths it was used as a handheld only and also worked well supplying full 5w when needed from the standard battery.Supplied as standard is a drop in desk charger and handstrap and an easy to understand owners manual.Unit contains most used features that you would expect even on a budget transciever such as scan and programable offsets and even has some that other hand helds miss all together such as anti theft alarm and mosquito repeller (Unsure bout this feature as ive never used it).Only things that would make this a better allrounder is extended recieve and extra memory channels.Other than that if your after a 2m only HT with no frills just solid performance i cant fault this little gem.The thing is it is a handheld not the latest and greatest mobile radio,It was not designed for that but used for its intended purpose and this radio works just fine.Its rare to have an electronic devices under $200 run for 3yrs let alone one thats used daily so i give it a 5.

AD6VU Rating: 0/5 Jun 23, 2007 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Died a premature death....  Time owned: more than 12 months
After barely a year of very light and considerate use this HT inexplicably lost all transmit power - a troubling problem which has befallen other DJ-196T owners. After some cursory disassembly and examination I felt this 'sealed-unit' radio was not really designed for any out-of-warranty home repair and thus appeared to be essentially a 'throw-away'HT. Considering what I originally paid for it, I believe there are much better single band HT's now available for comparable prices.

I replaced my DJ-196T with a Yaesu FT-60R which has thus far given much more reliable service.

KC0ZXB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Rugged simple HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this radio as my first HT. Matched my expectations when it first arrived. Built like a tank and can take a beating.

The Good:
-Simple
-Rugged
-No knobs
-Good battery life
-Easy to read display

The Bad:
-Mediocre antenna
-Lots of pushbutton motions to get access where you want.
-Only forty memories, more than I need, but behind other HTs in the same class.

Overall, a good starter radio. If you want ruggedness with good tx power then this is the radio for you.

W5TD Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2007 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Good simple 2m HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these HTs in a trade recently, and overall it seems like a good HT. It is a little larger than HTs like the VX150, but also smaller than the Icom T2H and some of the older HTs. Fits in the hand nicely.

It is very easy to use, as everything you need is on the front keypad. Never really need to go into the menus.

It has pretty good receiver audio, and seems to make the repeaters just fine.

Why the 4 rating?
1. No autorepeater settings. Alinco doesn't seem to have figured this out yet.
2. You have to push a button to adjust the volume? Not the best setup. Same for squelch.

Overall, a good HT for the price. If I was buying new, I would probably go with the Yaesu VX150 because it is a little smaller and has more features, but this HT wouldn't be too far behind.

WB0SVS Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2006 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought this little jewel at a local hamfest. I am pleased with the sturdy construction and excellent transmit and receive audio. Public service bands best reveal the receiver audio quality as there are too many variables on ham band transmissions. The outer case appears to be a high tech polymer similar to that found in a Glock pistol, while the actual case is cast aluminum. Xmit power output is more than adequate at 5 watts/800mw. While the design is several years old it is a great value for the price. The battery furnished is 700 ma Ni-MH and lasts for days at 20 ma drain with battery saver feature on. This is my first Alinco product and it speaks well for the company! My only minor complaint is the lack of discreet volume and squelch controls (you must depress the vol or sql button to toggle dial functions.

K7MP Rating: 2/5 Aug 6, 2006 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Won't buy DJ-196 again  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the DJ-196 for just over a year and my transmit power dropped from 5W to nothing. Out of warranty - $135 to repair. Yeah, it happens, but... I noticed that there is no easy way to get into this radio to look at the circuit board.

I have the DJ-180 and DJ-280 and those older rigs just keep on going.

For the amount of money it would have taken to fix the DJ-196, I bought a Yaesu VX-170. Now that's a radio I'm very impressed with.

JS K7MP

KC0LCS Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2002 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Great HT, Really simple to use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the DJ-196T after getting my license. This HT is so easy to use! It is really easy to program memories, change power, and everything else. My dad has an Icom T2H, and the T2H is a lot harder to use than my 196T. I love my 196T! I use it for 2m uplink on UO-14, and it works great with that too. I love my 196T!

KC9AIC Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2002 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio at a hamfest as my first rig. It was rather rugged (I dropped it from several feet up onto a hard tile floor, and it worked fine), was cheap, and has great audio output. I love it because its price is right. I suppose I don't have much to compare it too, but I'm glad I bought it.