Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-196T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-196T
Alinco DJ-196T Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $189.00
Description: Two meter Handie Talkie
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-196T.

KB9PLD Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2001 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Easier to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first ham radio is a Yaesu FT-50R dual band, but I found it very frustrating to program and to read the display. After a 2-year hiatus from ham radio, I decided to buy a simpler HT, and got my DJ-196. It is so much simpler to use, and I can read the disply! Things I miss: 1) cannot set scan limits to ham band, 2) have to hit a key then use volume knob. Other fault: damn small blinker to indicate scan funciton. Other pluses: good belt clip, more sensible controls & labeling.
A pleasure to use.

K4PDM Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2001 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Good basic HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to admit I would have bought a radio only from one of the "Big Three", but I won the Alinco at a hamfest (thanks!) Although the radio is bigger than the cutting-edge HTs of today, and uses a large Ni-Cad battery (not lithium-ion, which would be stronger and smaller) it is very usable. In fact, the receive is the equal of my VX5R on two meters, and is BETTER on the National Weather Service frequencies. My only complaints are that you have to push a button to adjust volume or squelch with the single knob on top of the radio. (I have had no opportunity to try the tones, so I can't comment on that.) By today's standards, its not fancy or flashy, but if you're looking for a simple HT with good basic performance, it certainly is worth examining.

K0AUE Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2001 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Big problem with touch tone pad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I purchased an Alinco DJ-196T. It would not key up the local autopatch. Holding an outboard touch tone pad to the mic and transmitting, I could key the autopatch. Returning the HT to the supplier,I was told that indeed the audio frequencies of the DTMF were not accurate. The supplier technician also told me that Alinco was aware of the problem. Unfortunately, the audio frequencies are permanently set in the CPU and cannot be changed. Alinco would have you believe this is a modulation/deviation problem. I now own an Icom IC-T2H which works fine.