Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | WinAPRS 2.x.x Help

Reviews Summary for WinAPRS 2.x.x
WinAPRS 2.x.x Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $60 (shareware)
Description: APRS software for Windows

You can write your own review of the WinAPRS 2.x.x.

WB8NUT Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2006 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Program Now  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am now using version 2.8.1. This is an update to previous review. Support for Tiger maps is now built in. Just download the maps you want. No more paying Precision Mapping and other folks for maps. They are free! WinAPRS is very stable now and has a lot of capabilities. Seems the authors are updating it more frequently and they now offer registration via email/Paypal which is a big plus.

I use WinAPRS in conjuction with AGWPE and have it on VHF and HF at the same time.

For $50 it is worth it given dynamic mapping is free with Tiger maps.

KG4NDS Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2005 07:53 Send this review to a friend
problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a paid in full registered user.
I've been through several revisions w/ minor problems that I've been able to work out on my own. latest and one prior has been giving me fits w/ a MAJOR crash that after several (more than 10) emails going unanswered INCLUDING a "free registration upgrade" as required by the latest revision. I've desided to go w/ another software. With the amount I paid for the program you would think that no mater how "bogged down" they get they need to "step up" and at least give a response of some kind.
I can understand the "freebe" users but we of the "paid and registered" should be a priority.

My opinion.

"There is nothing wrong w/ me that a change of someone else's opinion can't fix."

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2003 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Version 2.7.2 is good  Time owned: more than 12 months
In it's current version it can use the Precision Mapping program 5.0 or it can use FREE USGS TIGER data, that you download from the USGS web site. It's a lot of map data, you need something other than a dialup modem. At Dayton, in the APRS booth they were selling ALL the TIGER data on CD's.
The APRS community needs a APRS program with great map/street data, that is not tied to a commercial map program.
It seems true, the brothers would rather do MACaprs than WINaprs. I've been doing APRS since DOSaprs in 1993. Current version of WINAPRS is the most stable for me.

WB8NUT Rating: 3/5 Sep 8, 2001 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad program, but expensive and not kept up to date  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried all the major APRS programs for Win95/98/ME machines. I would rate UI-View the easiest to set up and use (about $15 USD for full 32 bit version), followed by WinAPRS ($60) and finally APRS+SA ($50) as the most difficult of the bunch (almost too many features for me). UI-View and APRS+SA seem to be enhanced on a regular basis. WinAPRS seems to be updated when the authors have some free time. Their free time seems to be lacking over the past few years. My biggest complaint is that WinAPRS uses a Chicago Mapping CD for the basis of their street level maps. The problem is that it will only work with the older version 3.0 to 3.5 which are no longer marketed by Chicago Map. They will only sell version 4.0 which works somewhat with WinAPRS (you can zoom down to the county level), but you cannot get street level maps. That forces you to find another ham with the older CDs who are willing to make a copy for you (if you do this, please make sure that you have purchased a 4.0 version from Chicago Map).

Unlike the first review, I do not find it to be a memory hog. It works very well on my Compaq 150 Mhz Win95 system with 48 MBs of RAM.

So if the authors would spend the time to update the program, I would give it a higher rating, but it is a bit outdated at this time. If they do not want to devote the time to it anymore, I wish they would put the source code into the public domain so that other interested parties could pick it up and run with it.

Final point, you can register UI-View via the web allowing you to get the registration code back within hours. WinAPRS and APRS+SA force you to mail in your request to receive a registration code. This takes a much longer time. It would be helpful if WinAPRS had an option to register via the web.

This review is in reference to version 2.5.1

N0RKX Rating: 1/5 May 13, 2001 12:17 Send this review to a friend
You're kidding, right?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took the weekend to explore this APRS thing we've got going on. There is a decent amount of activity around here and I thought I'd give it a try.

I downloaded WinAPRS 2.4.9 and installed it.

What's good?

- If you want to get up and running on APRS quickly give it a try.

What's bad?

#1. It's a memory hog. If you've got less than 128M forget it.

#2. The documentation is pitiful. I don't know how many dead links I clicked through.

#3. The maps that come with the program are basic and will work well enough, but you need to pony up more cash if you want some maps with decent detail, Chicago Mapping, Delorme, USGS et al . Then you have to configure the maps by hand to get them to work.

An example:
The documentation states that MacAPRS and WinAPRS use the same map format and that all you have to do is download the higher res Mac maps and unzip them in the maps directory. Fine and dandy. The only problem is that Mac and Windows use different .zip protocols. The documentation points to an esoteric little proggy that will unzip the Mac maps for Win systems. The problem, IT'S A DEAD LINK!! (see #2 above)

#4 With all of the hoops you have to jump through a $60 registration fee is ridiculous. Of course you don't have to register it but then you need to do the setup everytime you start the program.

With the amount of time, and apparently money you need to spend just to get decent maps installed this proggy ought to be freeware.

It's not ready for primetime.