Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron Clipperton L Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Clipperton L
Dentron Clipperton L Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $???
Description: 4 572B's HF Amp

You can write your own review of the Dentron Clipperton L.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Update to my review  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Dentron Clipperton L is working great. It is an excellent desk top amplifier. I use it on 80 meters mostly and puts out around 1200 watts. I don't run it that hard (around 800-900 watts and the original tubes are still working fantastic.

It is a nice desktop size amplifier that I recommend highly. If you decide to purchase one, make sure it has all the upgrades or was not used on CB. CB'ers seemed to like this amplifier a lot and gutted them to work on 11 meters making it a mono band amp.

It is a fairly simple amplifier and can be worked on easily.

I highly recommend the Dentron Clipperton L.

KJ7USA Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2014 00:03 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this great looking 10-160M amp with tuned inputs and the original Dentron 572Bs. This amplifier is performing flawlessly with all the original equipment inside. I get 1200W out with 100W input on 240VAC. Tunes up easily on all bands with great audio reports. I replaced the fan with a 12VDC PC fan which pushes the same CFM with half the noise. I am completely satisfied with this amplifier and hope to keep her running for many years to come.

VA3KBC Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2013 15:16 Send this review to a friend
My first amp.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this amp from Bill VE3NH who had done all the modes to this unit.
I did have to get a new bulb for the green power socket. Got it from Mouser Electronics.
I run the amp on 240 volts and drive it with 35 to 40 watts from my TS590. 500 watts pep and will run all day.
If you can find one with the modes done get her!!
For her age she works great!

G1EUZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2012 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Superb value amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Picked up one of these on ebay. It arrived with a dent in one corner where the courier had dropped it and a broken valve. Sorted the dent out myself and got a refund for the value of a valve. I ordered the Harbach PSU board and replaced the fan with a new one with the same airflow spec but quieter. Driven by an Orion 565, this is superb value per watt. Only drawback is some transformer hum, but it's not too loud to be drowned out by the radio audio. When you look at the price of a new amp it makes perfect sense. It positively loafs along at the UK limit in the CW (lower HV) position.

AK4NJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2011 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Dentron Clipperton L  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Clipperton L from the original owner he purchased her new in 2002 used her a few
time moved and put her in storage back in 2003, she arrived in the original box with manual and
instructions spotless inside and out. I ran her a few times and her output was about 1kw with
nice clean signal reports. I decide to upgraded the power supply to a Harbach's unit before the
filter caps let loose, the Harbach instructions and components made for a nice clean install now
she easily put out 1.5kw with the same clean audio reports. I like her - she's a keeper. 73's Douglas AK4NJ

K5VSH Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 15:43 Send this review to a friend
A Great Old Timer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've submitted an earlier review of this amplifier. Now that I've had it for over two years, I'm still impressed. I use a MFJ-945E for an input tuner rather than my built in AT's. Still working Great. I call the net on it every Wednesday night at 800 Watts Key Down or +/- 1000 Watts PEP.

KG0WX Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2010 20:50 Send this review to a friend
After a few upgrades, nice amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this Clipperton L from a local ham who was upgrading to a 3-500z single. I paid roughly what they go for on eBay with the tubes being advertised as "soft". Now I have roughly $300 in mods, tubes and upgrades installed. Like the others have said, this is an amp for those who love to tinker.

It's kinda like rebuilding an old muscle car from the 70's - it's got the power but needs technical refinement and updating.

Here are the mods my amp now has:
1) New 572b tubes from ESRC1 Corp
2) New Harbach power supply kit
3) New 9.1v 50w zener diode from Mouser
4) Added 470pf doorknob cap to tank (C14) (40m)
5) Replaced the plate blocking cap with 2x 470pf Doorknob caps
6) Recycle the OEM plate blocking cap to pad C16 (160m)
7) Dropped filament voltage with Teflon wire mod
8) Added (2) 1n4007 protection diodes to meter
9) Doubled plate lead wire
10) Added cooling fan to left side of chassis
11) Replaced Parasitic Suppressors
12) Added Harbach step-start
13) Added 12v relay to bypass fan resistors on TX
14) Added 30 ohm, 1/2w r and 470pf x2, 1kv caps as grid fuses
15) Replace power strip (cheap insurance)
16) Service main fan (clean/oiled)

I also plan on replacing the plate choke with the Ameritron part from the AL-572b and replacing the anode clips with Ameritron Ceramic clips. (another $28)

Google ESRC1 Corp and you'll find a great dealer who backs up his independantly sourced 572b's with a 1 year warranty.

The R. Measures updating kit is a fantastic value and a must have.

Most of the Clipperton L mods and tips can be found here:

There is also a Dentron Yahoo email list:

The 470pf, 12kV Russian Doorknob caps can be had cheap from eBay. I paid $22 for 4, shipped.

The cooling fan added to the left side of the chassis is there simply to get some fresh cool air into the power supply comparment. I use a standard 12v PC fan.

Note on the Chinese tubes: Yes, they were crap but the tubes coming out as of this writing are getting much better, esp. the ones from ESRC1 Corp so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Without these mods I would rate the Clipperton L a 3 and with the mods a SOLID 5. So, I gave eHam a compromise rating of 4.

I'll post a follow up review in a few months but for now, I'm off to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Ken KG0WX

K6RJP Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2009 14:10 Send this review to a friend
"Best Buy"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought an "L" off eBay with an add-on input board installed. When it came I put a new set R.F. Parts Taylor tubes in and fired it up. Great power but poor input SWR. I removed the input board and went with the original input circuit minus the 11 meter FL-1 filter. I drive this with an Icom IC-746Pro and I get 1300 to 1500 watts out on all bands short key down with less then 1.5 SWR on the input. I just installed the Harbach HV board and Caps just to be on the safe side. This amp is a keeper. I have a TL-922 and a pristine SB-221 also. For the money and the cost of new tubes ($200.00 a set, CHEAP !) You can not beat this amp.

K9FON Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2009 20:39 Send this review to a friend
I FINALLY found one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a GREAT Clipperton L. A local ham and I traded amps ( My Swan MKII) and I will say this Clipperton works very well. Full output on all bands, except 10 and 15 meters which is only 500 watts. For some odd reason, my old Yaesu Ft 101EE is weak on 15 meters, and only will do abut 60 watts out. The real suprise in on 160 meters, which from what I hear is the weak spot with this amp. On 160 meters it will do 1 KW plus. The Clipperton also has the tuned input but for some reason someone unhooked it. The amp is very clean inside and out and looks well cared for. Overall, so far it is a good amp and if you can find one get it!

KK7YC Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2008 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these old amps off of e-bay a couple of years back, had original Dentron 572b's still in it. It would do about 800 watts most bands about 400 on 160m. After several months of use the tubes went flat but would still do 500 watts on most bands, then the expected happened lost a filter cap ($250 to replace and 6 hours travel time)and I was back in business then about three months later another one went, I almost junked it until I found a complete power supply board replacement kit from Harbach for $100, easy project thanks to easy to follow instructions + new tubes this amp now does 1300 to 1400 watts on all bands! Should last many more years now, it looks great and has a small footprint. Theses are old amps and the capacitors are now at the age that they will start to fail if you buy one I highly recommend replacing them all if one goes south.