Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage D-3010-N UHF Amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage D-3010-N UHF Amplifier
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $389
Description: 30W in 100W out 70 cm/420-450 MHz UHF Amplifier w/ FM/SSB/CW Modes
More info: http://www.mirageamp.com/mirageamp/products.php?prodid=D-3010-N

You can write your own review of the Mirage D-3010-N UHF Amplifier.

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2007 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Worked - Without Problems!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Mk 2 version (black face/blue switches - pre MFJ ?) and it has given no problems with general shack use (with a TS2000X). Recently it was used with an Icom IC7000 for Cray Valley RS's VHF Field Day 2007 entry - 24 hours solid/continious use - in a tent! No problems whatsoever presented themselves - bar the last hour of the event when a particularly 'fierce' operator was on hand. Then it cut out for a few minutes & went into 'thru' mode - you could cook bacon & eggs on it! 10 minutes later it 'jumped back in' by itself for the rest of the event. Next year a cooling fan on a bracket above the fins will be a worthwile adition. It was owned by a keen UHF contester in GW before me and has survived intact. Pity one hears bad comments about the MFJ items - this could be a good line of workhorses!

N0TTW Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2006 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this model for about a little over a year. I bought it on ebay as an upgrade to the 1010 (traded it for a tower) because my radio puts out 25 watts.

After making some basic adjustments to the input and output of the final, this amp kicks. At 25 watts I'm seeing 100 watts. SSB and FM are pretty clean (based on reports).

Those who use these (and other brands) on SSB without using the KEY line are going to have problems. RF detection circuits in these amps are to just get you on the air, they are not perfect.

The best way to use any amp is to use a sequencer or the TX line from your radio. I see too many complaints of the amps "fluttering" or "cutting out too early" when using SSB. So do yourself a favor and use what I mentioned.

The only fault, and not a big one, is the lack of a preamp. On very short runs (under 50') of cable, an internal preamp makes a difference.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2006 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Older one works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these amps recently for a very good price ($120). I have the older brown and white faced one, and it seems to work fine for me. I can only drive it with 20 watts from a Yaesu FT100D but it is probably putting out around 70 watts or so. Makes a noticable difference on OSCAR 7, and somewhat of a difference on OSCAR 52. Tried it out with the ham I bought it from when I got it home. He is about 60 miles from me and runs vertical polarization on UHF. We both had 19 element yagis, but mine is horizontally polarized. He said the amp took me from at the noise level to perfect copy on SSB. I wish it had a built in preamp, but that is not a deal buster. Overall, seems to get the job done for me. Can't wait for the January VHF contest in a couple of weeks. My amp had the N connectors replaced with SO239s. Will have to see about getting the N connectors back on it at some point.

You need to understand, though, that there are 3 generations of Mirage amps:

1. The brown and white faced amps. Made by Mirage who I think was under KLM at the time. Very good amps.

2. The black faced amps made in California. Look on the back to see the company address. These tended to have blue rocker switches. Mirage had split off into its own company. Good reputation for these amps also.

3. The black face amps made in Mississippi. These are the ones made after MFJ bought out Mirage. These tended to have red rocker switches. I have never used one of these. I personally have had good luck with MFJ products, but others don't like them as well. Draw your own conclusions.

WA9ENA Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2004 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Good amp, but needs circuit help  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I see that other people have had problems with the keying circuit time constant on this amplifier. Like the others, I had to wait while my amp got built. I don't hold that against Mirage/MFJ because the market is limited and I can understand the issue of finished goods cost while sitting on the shelf.

However, the keying circuit operation is a disaster. I elected not to mess around with returning the amp because I suspected similar problems to what the others have had. So, I re-built the circuit. There are 2 problems with it: it needs more cap to extend the hang time; it needs a less sensitive "trigger" so as to avoid "burping" with small RF bursts that some rigs emit when they are first keyed. (I own a Yeasu FT-790 R Mark II, which emits a very small, very brief RF burst when hitting the mic PTT button.) The "trigger" is a Darlington-type transistor that drives the relay, so it has gobs of excess current gain.

In short, I added about 5 or 6 microfarads of cap to the circuit and an extra shunt resistor (to ground) in the base circuit of the relay drive Darlington amp. I don't recall the resistor value, but you can experiment. One nice part of the layout within the D-3010-N is that it is open and fairly easy to work in their. DO NOT even think of messing around the finals - just stay with the control circuits.

One note: although I now have a decent hang time for SSB, there is very little difference between SSB or FM hang time. (FM is supposed to be NO hang time - immediate drop when the input carrier ceases.) I am not sure why this happens, but it is not a big deal for me as I seldom use the amp in FM mode.

Again, a poor choice of component values in an otherwise nice, stable, amp that really does deliver about 90 to 100 watts for 25 watts drive.

KK7AC Rating: 2/5 Mar 11, 2002 21:03 Send this review to a friend
ehaa, not real impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like the review that K4TB wrote, I experienced simular problems. The SSB "hang time" was WAY TO FAST... the TX relay would "clip" within about 20ms. Way to fast. So I sent back to Mississippi. Holly cow, I am glad that I was not in dire need of the amp! After about 5 weeks not hearing anything, I decied to call the very uninformed and poorly educated staff. No one knew about the amp I sent in for warranty work so many weeks prior. But after a 30 min. search, they "found" it and said that it will be on its way. (I assume that it was just sitting there) Once back in my shack, a simular problem appeared. Frustrated, I shipped the amp back again. Low and behold THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEND! After weeks of not hearing anything, I had to call them to find out the status. Well it works OK now, but will not buy another one in the future. MFJ s-u-c-k-s. period. If you want cheap, poor quality amps, with service to match, then certainly consider an ameritron/mirage. KK7AC

K4TB Rating: 2/5 May 13, 2001 20:35 Send this review to a friend
OK, if you can WAIT for it.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Six months after I placed my order through HRO, I had a working amp. Seems Mirage only builds them when they accumulate some orders. The first one had a peculiar problem with going open-circuit on receive. After two returns totalling $25 out-of-pocket for shipping, I determined the real problem was a bad T/R relay, which worked OK upside down on the bench, but not right-side up!!
Mirage paid for the 3rd return and sent me a new amp, after another month's wait, which works OK. The new amp uses a different model relay. Operationally my only comments are:
(+)It runs cool even at extended key-down
(-)The adjustable carrier-sense T/R relay circuit should be capable of a little longer delay for smooth SSB; and the manual needs updating on phone numbers and addresses, and is confusing on saying the T/R delay adjustment is on the "left" side of the amp (which left?). There's a similar pot on the other side so don't get confused and adjust the wrong one. The correct pot is on your left if you face the radio's front.