Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | Maha MH-C777 Help

Reviews Summary for Maha MH-C777
Maha MH-C777 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description:
Intelligent microprocessor driven -deltaV detection.
Quick charge nearly any types of rechargeable NiCD & NiMH
without the use of any additional cups or adapters.
Employs the "movable contact pin" technology which can be
reconfigured freely for various types of battery packs.
Built-in conditioning feature which rejuvenates your old
battery packs.
External temperature sensor to guard against malfunctions.
Can be used in a car with the included car kit.
Automatic voltage sensing range from 4.8V to 12V NiCD &
NiMH battery packs.
More info: http://www.mahaenergy.com

You can write your own review of the Maha MH-C777.

VE7BGP Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2001 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Radio Shack Version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In Oct. I bought this charger at Radio Shack, It is identical to the MH-C777 charger I don't know if it is available in USA Radio Shack Cattalog # 23-250. I am using batteries that I have thrown into the recycle box I use a 4 AA holder I bought from Radio Shack years ago to charge the standard AA cells. I also have several packs fot 2 handies an older Sanyo camcorder and other toys. I like the fact you charge the packs you put the standard AA cells into. At $79.95 it is way less costly than the Icom accessory fast charger and I am sure it does just as good of a job. Only complaint I have is the led flashes way too fast to indicate the pack voltage, I wish the flashes were a lot slower. You have to make sure the correct voltage is indicated or the battery will overcharge and the temp sensor will shut down the charger another snag is that it does not support 8.4 and 10.8 battery packs 7 and 9 cell used in older HTs. The temp sensor will shut them down when the batteries get very hot after being overcharged. I really rate this unit 4.5 for this reason. I hope this helps you. 73 Gerry

K8DXX Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2001 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Tricky but does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Radio Shack version of the Maha C777 for the express purpose of charging sets of 8 AA 1600 Ma/H NiMH cells for my Yaesu FT 817 (currently on closeout for $29.95... the charger, that is!). As to construction, fit and finish, heft of the wall wart power supply, etc. the unit appears above average. The wall wart is LARGE!

To charge sets of AA cells, I purchased a $1.49 plastic cell holder at RS, along with a 9 volt battery clip. Thus, you place the AA cells into the holder, connect the 9 volt clip & leads to the "battery" and connect the aligator clips from the charger to the color coded leads off the battery clip. According to the instructions, you are them supposed to plug in the charger and watch it detect the nominal voltage of your battery and charge it. My unit did relatively little after being plugged in. However, I did discover that if I disconnected/reconnected the battery while the charger was plugged in, THEN it correctly detected nominal battery voltage and did a charge.

What I find positive is that sets of 8 AA cells coming off the C777 start out at 11.0 volts on my FT 817 and spend quite a lot of time above 10.0 before descending down to the 7.4 volt lower limit of the radio. AA sets off my old trickle charger started out around 10.3 volts and promptly descended to 10 or below within the first 30 seconds. Quite an improvement!

As other posters have said, charge time is FAST. Batteries do get warm. Thank goodness for the magnetic temperature sensor.

Were it not for its failure to perform according to documentation, I'd give this item a 5. Howwever, since it does its job at a bargain price, I give it a "4". Readers needing an intelligent rapid charger might want to rush to their local RS because once they're gone, they're gone. The RS part number is 23-250.

73 de Bill / K8DXX

31337 Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2001 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Good price, fast, easy to use, truly universal charger  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the Maha MH-C777 charger for a couple years, it's probably been 3 or 4. Maha actually relabels(ie OEMs) this unit to a couple other resellers, so don't be surprised if you see another companies' product that looks identical.

Since most of my radios are HT's, battery power is important to me. I often purchase the highest capacity battery available, which goes up into the 1500+ mah rating. Most of the trickle chargers(which are usually included w/ the radio) only charge at 60mah-70mah --- which drives my charge times to 25+ hours. This is simply way too long.

Then, I heard about the Maha charger. I purchased it right away -- probably spent about $40-$50 on it. This is a bargain if you compare it to the $90 fast chargers for some of my other radios.

The charger is FAST. Depending on capacity, of course, this charger will charge most of my batteries within 2-3 hours. The rapid charge rate is something like 650mah, so you are dumping a huge amount of power into the battery per hour. It also supports a discharge button, for fully cycling your batteries. I always full cycle my cells. Knock on wood, I haven't had to replace ANY of my amateur radio batteries.

Since this thing has a temperature probe which is a magnet that sticks to the battery, it assures that you aren't damaging the battery during discharging or charging. It also has some other features for detecting whether or not you are hosing your battery.

This thing basically has two spring loaded contacts which the weight from the battery presses the battery contacts into the charger contacts. It's easy to use, you can adjust the spacing of the contacts to match your battery. It has an a/b switch which lets you change polarity of the contacts. I typically use a multimeter to find the right contacts and right polarity. This is mostly unnecessary and with a little trial and error you can determine the proper settings. EASY TO USE.

This thing is definitely universal. In addition to my various ham radio batteries that I've charged, I also use it to fast charge my R/C car battery. Because of the connector on the R/C battery, I wasn't able to hook it up normally, but with a pair of alligator test clips, I was able to hook it up. I'm constantly finding new ways to use it.

I gave it a 5 mainly because of cost-value ratio, the fact that it's very flexible, fast, and easy to use.

Like another poster mentioned, it does occasionally get confused with an almost dead battery. The charger will report the battery is fully charged, and I think this is a result of the Delta -V protection kicking in accidentally. In any event, if you simply unplug the charger and plug it back in, the problem goes away. I've seen something similar, where, after about 5 minutes the charger will indicate that the battery is fully charged and go to trickle mode. Simply unplugging the charger and plugging it back in will fix it.

You'll probably notice this behavior, which is a little annoying, but is easily recognizable and fixable.

Maha's website is www.mahaenergy.com. Actual product web page is

They have tech sheets as well as the manual online.

N0PWZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2001 00:00 Send this review to a friend
A Good Charger for the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is really a good charger. I've had mine for three years and I've recharged uncounted batteries with it. It will occasionally become a little retarded when recharging a dead pack when it doesn't realize what voltage it is. However, once you discharge the battery again it seems to just fine in getting the voltage where it should be. I realize others have had problems with Maha chargers, but I'm not one of them. At $45 - 50 it doesn't take long to recoup your investment in batteries. Even though it fast charges the batteries, I think it is easier on them than putting them in a trickle charger and forgetting about them for 4-5 days. Yes, it's the perfect charger for me.

KC1MK Rating: 0/5 Oct 12, 2001 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Useless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the MH-C777 for use with several HT battery packs and a W4RT One-Plug Power battery for the Yaesu FT-817. The charger went up in smoke the fourth time I used it, taking the circuit board for the One-Plug Power with it. (The OPP battery pack itself did survive.) Don't waste your time and money for this poorly designed and flimsily made junk.

NV0U Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2001 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Have yet to find something it can't charge  Time owned: months
I bought one of these about 2 years ago along with a bunch of NiMH batteries for my digital camera. Wish I had done it sooner. The thing will not only charge your batteries (only works with NiCd and NiMH - sorry Li owners) but will discharge them first as well. I was impressed. What really impressed me however was when I decided to try a battery pack for an old cordless phone that had a shorted cell. I ran the pack through a charge/discharge cycle about 4 times and now, two years later, that battery pack still works - even the previously shorted cell that was in it is still working fine. Have tried it on really old NiCd C Cells (13 years old now) and they still are able to hold a charge - granted, not like they used to, but enough to not have to throw them away - which, as we all should know, NiCd batteries are not all that great for the environment. (no, I am not throwing them in the trash, btw, they will go to a recycler).