Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-941E Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-941E
MFJ-941E Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: 300 Watt antenna tuner covering from 1.8-30 MHz
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-941E

You can write your own review of the MFJ-941E.

VK2JEM Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2017 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Tap tap... yep all good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like this one.

Has built in balun for hi Z antennae plus two 50 ohm antenna and dummy load switch.

I like the cross needles. Can see output power as well as reflected and SWR at a glance. has 30W or 300W range switch. Can connect it to 12v then it has a light on the meter, but I have never bothered.

Sometimes the needles stick on the meter. A couple of taps on the glass (plastic) and they're back.

Feels like it could tune a rusty nail can handle anything I throw at it.

If I wanted to be picky the paint seems to get chipped and scratched easily but its just a tool that does all thats asked of it.

K5OX Rating: 3/5 Jul 20, 2017 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Mystery Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't recall very many equipment problems in my 56 years as a ham, so when my G5RV's SWR would jump from 1:1 to 5:1 suddenly, I blamed the antenna.

After two months of aggravation, I finally suspected something else and it was a problem with the MFJ 941E Tuner. I'm not sure of it's precise problem, but putting pressure on the Antenna matching capacitor's shaft caused the SWR to jump all around. On further inspection the shaft has considerable "play" not evident in the other variable capacitor.

I am going to call the dealer to see what course of action is best, but I may try to call MFJ to get a replacement part or whatever they recommend. I need the tuner to use the G5RV so it's not something I can do without.

KE8EC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this tuner as a small one that I could use in my camper or as a portable station tuner. I feel that it is a good tuner for the money. I have a multi-band antenna here at the shack, fed with 300 Ohm line, tunes what I need, no problem. I read the other reviews on this site concerning the tuner, and I did open the case to take a look for any misplaced or missing parts. But generally I get what I pay for with MFJ products. For a basic tuner it is fine.

WA1UFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2016 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Sweet  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this ATU on all HF bands except for 160 and I love it. It looks nice, tunes about anything so no complaints here. This is a lot of tuner for the price.

VA2PBJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2015 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
No issues with this tuner. It tunes everything I have. Great value and works as advertised.

K8BDW Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Mine Works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my 941E for over a year using an Alinco HF xcvr and never a problem with LMR 1/2 wave antennas. I wonder if you folks having problems have the tuner to a direct earth ground? Mine is, and again is works great. Sounds like operator error and not the product.

OZ8AGB Rating: 3/5 Jul 13, 2015 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Do your own quality check  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine a few years ago. When I turned one of the capacitor knobs I could hear scratching sound. I opened the tuner and found that one of the wires going to the coil was too close to the capacitor! It could easily be bent into place and the tuner was worked well since.
But do your own quality check as MFJ obviously doesn't do any Quality Assurance.

W5NM Rating: 0/5 Jul 13, 2015 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the worst tuner I have ever owned. I have built tuners that run circles around this one.
It doesn't want to tune much of anything. I think its just a bad design. I own a MFJ 949E and it does a great job.

DL7ISA Rating: 0/5 Jul 12, 2015 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Display was wrong. When the Transceiver showed minimum SWR and maximum output Power, the 941 showed maximum SWR and minimum output Power.

I checked the cables again, they were installed correctly, it wasnt the cables, the 941E came damaged right out of the box, I bought it new.

When I was turning the 941E over while packing it back into the box to send it back to the dealer to get my money back, I noticed a ticking, it sounded like a little screw that flew loose inside the 941E and hit the casing somewhere inside.

The worst thing was, my Transceiver even shut off when i slowly increased the output Power to about 40Watt in SSB in the 80m Band, while the Frequency was tuned in to minimum SWR already according to the Transceivers SWR Display. if it was my old Transceiver it would have been destroyed, the old doesnt has the protection circuits to shut down.

Apparently mfj really doesnt has a Quality Control at all and that means they dont mind selling Junk like this 941E of theirs, for that reason I think rating this Product 0 is still to good.

KK7TH Rating: 1/5 May 28, 2015 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Maybe it's me, but ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, I am a new Extra Class and I have the following Shack: Alinco 330FXT, Yeasu FTDX1200, Alpha Antennas J-Pole Sr. I just picked this tuner up and I admit I don't know alot, but with my set up, I can get loweer SWR using the internal tuner on the FTDX1200 than I can using the 941E. Perhaps I am doing something or many things wrong when trying to tune with it.

I tune my radio by selecting a clear frequency, and selecting the RTTY mode (USB or LSB depending on the HF band I am on). With my output power starting on 5W, I turn up the carrier until I see the power out meter register something like 5-10 watts on the MFJ-941E.

Then I try to tune the antenna by selecting the inductor letter that results in the highest amount of noise. Rotate the Antenna Capacitor first to lower the needle, then the Transmitter dial is lowered to lower the needles as low as I can go.

I've only had success on the 40M band, all other bands I can get an SWR of 1.3 or less on the internal antenna tuner on the radio and the MFJ-941E gives an SWR of 3.0 or higher.

If anyone knows what I am going wrong, or not doing correctly, please feel free to shout out at me.

In the end, I'll probably hang on to this for the low investment, in case I ver get a different antenna or I make my own Dipole.

Cheers, and 73