Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-941E Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-941E
MFJ-941E Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: 300 Watt antenna tuner covering from 1.8-30 MHz
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-941E

You can write your own review of the MFJ-941E.

VK2FTNY Rating: 3/5 Apr 11, 2008 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Quality control is an issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for over 2yrs,In that time it has been replaced under warranty twice and the third one repaired also under warranty.Mine was a fairly common problem mentioned in a few reviews of this tuner.My sensing diodes died on all three.The third time i asked my supplier to repair instead of replace and since the tech replaced with geranuim equivalent diodes have not had a problem since.Great tuner when working properly but there are a mirade of manual tuners around that i believe will give less problems especially down the track when the warranty runs out.

W9CPI Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2007 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 17 years. It and my FT-757GXii have been to Florida, Illinois, Ukraine and now Paraguay with me. During these years I have never had the pleasure of running a really nice antenna. Everything I've had has been a compromise: random wires, end-fed zepps, low dipoles, trapped verticals, homebrew ground planes, etc. Usually the 941 could match it. Sometimes the inductor switch has arced on 10 meters, and without a ground I've had the knobs end up "hot" with RF.

But the bottom line is I have made DXCC and WAS from everywhere I've been, using much less than perfect antennas! The tuner is a workhorse for the price. Steve W9CPI/ZP9EH

KU4MY Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2007 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for quite some time now and have used and owned some similar to it (MFJ 949D - MFJ 949E - Vectronics VC-300 DLP, to name a few). I purchased this one used at the Shelby, NC hamfest and was concerned about the low price as visually, it is perfect. For $50, it was and still is as new. It can even tune 160 and 6m with little difficulty. If you need a 300w or less tuner and don't mind the slightly smaller than the new models meter, in the $50 range, you simply can't go wrong. Being somewhat optically challenged myself, I have found that using the supplied backlight makes viewing the meter quite easy with no eye strain. I read the previous entry of loading up a wooden fence with a smile and I will go one further than that..... I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that you could load up a sack of cow manure with this baby and get good results. Seriously, tuning is easy as pie everywhere on all bands but 160 and 6m and it really does a decent job on those too. I would say that the degree of difficulty in tuning on those two bands is very close to using a Vectronics VC-300 DLP on ANY band. Oh and yes, it really does work well on 6m, but the folks at MFJ won't tell you that.

VK4TJF Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2007 07:25 Send this review to a friend
great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
well, this tunner will tune up a wooden fence! i thus far have not had one problem with this piece of equipment and it has preformed great work. i use it on many antennas wwith out a problem

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After a 5 year period of being QRT I am back to ham radio and this tuner was one of the first things I bought a while ago. It tunes everything I want and I cant complain about the craftmanship. Personally I would prefer a larger power scale. This one will be kept in my shack.

VK3HDR Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2005 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Great, but not outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great tuner, does the job very well. 160 to 10, what more could one ask for?...

Quality control. Had to re-trim the front overlay panel and fix the severely ugly creasing. Not what you'd expect when buying new.

Advice: When purchasing from a shop/store, 'always' inspect the unit before signing that chequebook.

Another niggly thing I found was that the spacing between the knobs is a little too close for my liking. Especially with the coax select and inductor rotary switches. Many times I've inadvertantly altered the transmitter and antenna settings.

Overall, a great tuner for the price.

OH5HZW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2005 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Best tuner I ever use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It can tune almost everything!Its tune easyly my MFJs G5RV antenna to all bands.Great job MFJ!

W9RPE Rating: 3/5 Feb 22, 2005 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this one for more than a few years. Tunes well, but keeps burning out the sensing diodes. I replace them at least twice a year. Keeping it, but just got the 962D. So far it seems ok. Like I've said before...It's a quality control crapshoot when you buy MFJ products. My experience indicates a 50/50 chance of getting a dud.

K1OWA Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2003 09:58 Send this review to a friend
So far? ==> Wow!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For several months, I've been running an Icom IC-718 to a G5RV without a tuner. Yesterday afternoon, I was in a rag chew on 75m and was being told my S/S was +9 and that I should get a tuner. I told them I had one on order. Well, my doorbell rang, and it was this tuner being delivered by FEDEX ($69.95 - used). Within 5 minutes, I had it hooked up and was tuned to ~1.5 SWR (I agree with the previous post about the meter markings being kind of small) and getting S/S +20 reports from the same rag chewers. So far ==> Wow!!!

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2003 18:17 Send this review to a friend
OK if you don't need glasses  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
- i tried to like the MFJ-941E i purchased... the fit, finish and knobs were all fine... the price is right for the features...

-but honestly, i just could not read the smallish meter, and the even smaller (nearly agate [6 pt]) font size of the numbers on the meter...

- tried getting good matches on a windom that was resonant on 20 and 40, but results were confusing...

- i liked the antenna switching and built-in balun, but in the end i traded it in for LDG AT11MP (which, btw, has a meter about the same size - but the meter has a magnified lens! much, much easier to read)...