Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-245 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-245
Radio Shack HTX-245 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $200
Description: 2m/440 VHF/UHF Hand Held Radio

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-245.

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2003 15:09 Send this review to a friend
A bargain $49.95 dual-band HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
here's the story of my 245...

- purchased a month ago (April 2003) for $49.95... should have tried it in the store, but didn't - when i got home i found out the audio was dead... not only that, but upon inspection it appeared that some fool tried to do a kludge of a hardware mod for the extended rcv/tx (which wasn't even necessary, as it may be done through a special reset)...

- AFAIK there are two models of the 245: an earlier one (which required a hardware mod) and the last one (which has an 'A' in the model # [19-1106A], and which can be reset for extended rcv/tx... hold down the 2 and 3 keys when turning on to turn on the MARS/CAP capability; to reverse, again hold down 2 and 3 upon subsequent power-up )...

- took the 245 back to RS the next day, and sent the radio in for repair... then waited...

- exactly 30 days later i got a call that the radio was ready for pickup and had been repaired at the RS repair center in Jacksonville, FL... apparently IC507, the audio amp, was replaced (an LM4864?)... no charge for repair, although the chip was listed at $4.84 on the invoice...

- powered up the HT and... it works great! no problems whatsoever... hit the local repeater right away...

- so it looks like i have a little 5-oz, dual-band HT w/keypad, DTMF, 50 memories, scanning, and NOAA WX that transmits at 700mW on batteries, recharges batteries internally if desired, and has 1.5W out when on a 6V DC external adapter...

- there *are* bargains out there if you look hard enough, but i'm afraid that this unit will be the last one for me from RS, as it looks like it has gotten out of the amateur radio business... i was also fortunate enough to previously find an htx-200 in excellent condition for $24.95...

- would i have popped for the original retail of $229? nope! would i have purchased it on sale at $170? nope! would i have bought it at $100? maybe... but at $49.95 how can you go wrong, even it doesn't work right away but can be repaired for free?

KD7QZW Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2003 21:40 Send this review to a friend
took a real beating  Time owned: more than 12 months
got the radio 1 year ago "first radio I owned" set it on the roof of the car one day and forgot about it and drove off... come off the roof at 70 and hit the blacktop... then a 18 wheeler fit it! sent it off to the shoulder of the freeway... brok the antenna... but there sorta cheep... break easyly the radio still works good but the desplay only works on the bottem half now... never come apart didn't loose the batturys and a true shook test 73's good luck with yours...

KA3TTU Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2003 13:13 Send this review to a friend
At $45.00 it's the best radio in the world.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I was in the local RS and saw this little jewel hiding behind the FRS radios. I was looking for a little 2m handie for echolink. Well I found the HTX-245. Does a pretty good job. At $45.00 it is the best radio in the world.

73's
Jim, KA3TTU

KB7QDI Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2002 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the HTX-245 from a ham fest (didn't know Radio Shack came to hamfests, but that's an entirely different topic).

I have been looking for a couple months on a small dual-band HT that will give me low power for use on EchoLink and when our club uses a cross-bander to link to our 2-meter repeater. The HTX-245 seems to fit that bill perfectly.

700 mW is adaquate for my purposes, and it is usually enough to hit some of the Milwaukee repeaters when I am close. Receive audio is better than I anticipated as well.

There are comparible models, like the Yaesu VX-1, but they don't have external DTMF pads, which I use quite a lot with EchoLink.

My first impression is good. Even better if you can get it for $70.

N4FDG Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2002 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Best Deal Going!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine for $90.00. Except for not having a way to skip unwanted channels when scanning it is perfect. The alkaline batteries are easy to use, I can get into phone patches, and the feel and size are better that the small Alinco I have or my FT-50. If this thing would do another watt or two I would rate it above the FT-50. For $100.00 or less you can't beat it.

K1VP Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2002 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Great for what is  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used a 245 for several months. My other HT is a VX-5R so I know what the 245 is and is not. It is a great AA battery, low power HT. For around $100 you get a number pad, WX bands, a small rig that feels nice in the hand and is easy to use with all the features most use most of time. Sure its antenna is not all that great and its power is quite modest. Check the QST review for how it tests out. It does perform and it performs well.

KC2BCL Rating: 1/5 Jul 21, 2002 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The only good thing about the HTX 245 is that the price dropped to less than $120. However, I wouldn't pay $100. for it. This radio performance was very poor. Stay away from the HTX-245. Most Radio Shack sales staff don't know a thing about Ham radio, therefore you wouldn't get much tech support when you have problems with their rigs.
You are better off with a Yaesus, Kenwood or ICOM.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2002 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two. First off there are two versions one being the older 19-1106 and the latter 19-1106A. The latter does the extended range if you invoke the reset procedure and seems to run a tiny bit more power. Of the two the first is now 13 months old and the #2 unit is about 3 months.

Both work as expected. That being for a ~700mW TX and a 6" duckie only adaquate. A better antenna such as the Pryme dual bander is a significant improvement. When used with a good quarter wave mobile I can work repeaters in excess of 15 miles. From the Jpoles on the base (146 and 440) the useful range is 20+ miles. For a while it was the only radio I had for the 50 mi commute I do every day! The higher power feature is good with both units delivering an honest 1.5W. I found that RS also sells a vox and boom mike that works excellent with this and allows hands free use while mobile. The CTCSS and touch tone have proven handy while mobile. Programming is simple and does not require a rocket science cheat sheet.
The backlight is only OK, the battery box is tough to open but has never self ejected either. The ability to take standard AA alkalines is handy for time when recharge is unavailable. The good battery life as a good trade for the lower TX power. My solution for the SMA was adaptors and they were easily obtained. I use mine daily with NiMH cells with excellent results.

Things I like, battery life, good performance for size with out missing features.

Thinks I dont like, SMA antenna, rubber duck supplied and weak backlight.

Good unit, great buy at 120$ (first was bought at 180$ and I thought that was good). Despite the limitations, for that price, size and battery life what can you get thats better?

Allison
KB1GMX

N4NRW Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2002 09:22 Send this review to a friend
What a Bargin!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First - you better run the the closest Radio Shack and see if any are still left!

My son just passed his Technician test and I wanted to surprise him with his own radio. I had seen these at R/S clearanced at $119.99 and thought that it sounded like a good deal. So I started looking for one for my son. I found the last one in my area and was shocked to learn the price was now $99.97! I purchased it and a 19.99 speaker mic. I then sat down with the manual to see how this guy worked. Programming is much better with the direct entry keypad - have you tried to pgm a HTX-200? Features are nice and what most hams need. Negatives - No cross band repeat and no ch. skip/lockout function for long winded QSO'ers and no way to vary power level. (Power output is adequate for local repeaters.) The backlite is poor and the batt cover does require a crowbar to open. But for $100 bucks - no point continuing here. Now for the problem. This unit would not bring up my clubs repeater less than a 1/4 mile away! I suspected the CTCSS tone deviation as the problem. A quick check with my service monitor killed that idea. So I then tried to deactivate the tone input to our repeater with the DTMF sequence. Guess what - the repeater did not recognize the DTMF tones? Back to the service monitor. Well the CTCSS tones were approx 2 Hz low - that's 16% off at 123.0 Hz! The DTMF tones were off as well. What a bummer! Off to the phones I go to try and resolve. The R/S rep found another one 150 miles away at another store. They shipped it to him and I swapped units. The new one works fine. Just to show how happy I am I found yet another in another state and it's on the way as well. Get one fast! They won't be available much longer!

W6KAP Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2002 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of the disappointed buyers of this radio could have prevented their unhappiness by reading the manual. First, don't buy this radio if you are in a weak signal area. It's a low power unit designed to work in strong signal areas. Remember that .5 watt is 20db down from the 50 watts that many repeaters run. The battery saver feature is great. It is not a malfunction, and can be turned on and off with one button push. Programming memories is easy. Simply enter the frequency in VFO mode with correct +/-/S and PL and press MR twice to enter to a blank memory slot. You only have to program the offset once for each band and not for each channel as someone here stated. The antenna connector is not non-standard. It is an SMA connector for which adapters to BNC are available. The criticisms about the dial lighting and the battery case lock are valid, but really very minor unless you operate a lot in the dark.
This unit has a tone pad which most others in its power and price range don't and it has good TX audio. RX audio sounds good too if you're not in a noisy environment. All in all, the HTX-245 is a lot of radio in small package.