Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip
Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$54.99
Description: 2m/440 whip antenna with PL-259 type connector, 3/5.5dB gain

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip.

KB8LKH Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2017 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent antenna!

Also works great for out of band VHF/UHF listening too. Not so great for listening to 700/800.

My concerns were 2M/70cm, Railroad (160-162MHz), Local PD/FD (UHF), and NOAA (162-163MHz).

This antenna far surpassed my expectations on all of these bands.

I would highly recommend.

AK1CT Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2015 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Comet SBB-5, a stealthy black antenna dual band mobile. Time will tell if this was a good purchase. Only had it for 2 weeks, and can compare it to the previous. My old antenna was a 1/4 wave mag mount on the roof of the vehicle. The coax made slight scratches on the roof over time, so I replaced with a lip mount, on the hatch, no ground plane, and mounted "low" so part of the antenna is lower than the car body - probably the worst position short of horizontal inside the vehicle. Even in this poor position, this antenna performs about 20 to 30% better than the old antenna. I commute on hilly parkway, repeaters that used to drop out in the dips no longer do. I can go 10 + more miles before losing the same repeater. Made a mobile to mobile simplex contact, and we were both impressed with the range. I thought I liked the old antenna; wow was I wrong. In addition, the black antenna with the black Diamond 400 mount looks good too, hardly noticeable along the hatch line. Time will tell if it holds up. But I don't think I have to worry much about trees, I parked next to a pickup truck, and my antenna was lower than the truck's roofline. The only complaint I have is now I hear more often distant repeaters on the same freq - if that is a complaint. SWR reading is 1.5:1 or lower across both bands. I was also worried because the Diamond mount had a very thin coax compared to my old mag, but the loss on the line is nothing compared to the antenna's gain. I can't say it is reasonably priced, so it better not fail.

KE5RVY Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Not what it was designed for, but it works well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Initially, my intent was to use the SBB-5 as an emergency backup antenna for my base rig by using a magetic mount on my attic A/C cabinet. It was not meant for full-time use, nor was it intended for long-range contacts. However, during some recent EMCOMM tests, I used the antenna and was able to make repeater contacts 30 miles away with 10 watts output. I have been using the same make/model antenna on my vehicle for two years without problems. A bit tall, but extremely functional! Highly recommend this antenna!

IW2CKM Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2011 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cheap but very efficient antenna.
It works well on all frequency bands. excellent reception UHF, VHF, AIR VHF and 250 MHz bandwidth (SAT).
Super stainless steel construction. Looks good !!!
Required magnetic base diameter 150 mm and PL-259 connector.
I recommend it is a good buy.

KB6TWC Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2010 14:20 Send this review to a friend
BEST antenna !  Time owned: more than 12 months
The is the BEST dual band antenna ever! It is super quite, very broadbanded and very sensitive! I run APRS through it with a Kenwood D700 and I can actually hear the difference and see the differnce and notice the difference with this Comet SSB5-PL. The PL is also gold plated. I have run all the various brands of dual band antennas and the others suck! They are noisy and performace is poor. Nothing can touch this one! GET IT! Incredible performance! Tough too !

W3GFY Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2008 21:58 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great antenna. Excellent performance, has held up well after 2 years in the great outdoors. Finish is still in good shape and the connector is still water tight with no apparent leaks. I also very much like the fold down feature. Have made simplex contacts around 20-25 miles away with good conditions on 2 occasions running 50 watts with a Yaesu ft880.

KC5TPA Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2007 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Still going!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this one for better than 7 years, and it still works great. I've had I don't know how many run-ins with trees, garages, and the like but no problems.

WH6QB Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2007 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Works Great on My F-150  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine is mounted on a Diamond door mount on the left rear door of my F-150. So far it works great. Plus I've dragged it through some trees and overhangs and it snaps right back into shape.

I'm pleased

KG6YGT Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 02:02 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up this one at local HRO. Installed it with lip mount on the trunk, antenna is a great performer. Very simple and durable, very solid construction make this antenna good for those who drive fast. Pretty much, noting to brake, as there are no glued coils of any kind. It won’t give you a lot of gain, but it surely will last.

KD5WLH Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2004 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Buy it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This thing works almost as good as my Comet UHV-4 does on 2m and 440 and that's saying something. I've got a lip mount on the trunk of my Kia Sephia and it works really good. Sturdy, solid, good range, priced right, and it looks good too.