Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip
Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$54.99
Description: 2m/440 whip antenna with PL-259 type connector, 3/5.5dB gain

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip.

KE6NFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2001 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the SBB5 for a little over a week now and have already thrashed it up pretty good. However, I have no complaints about its performance or finish. Much better than the mag mount mini antenna I had before. All the local repeaters hit beautifully. I can simplex with a friend that lives about a mile away with low power while still registering 5x5 (we live in the city with buildings and such). I like the fold over feature (for garage use). I am using the Comet RS-720 mount and a Diamond C211 cable kit on an Alinco 605TQ. I'll try and add updates as I continue to use it.

WA4JA Rating: 1/5 May 21, 2001 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Bad experience!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a new SBB-5 with a mag mount. The mag mount is a good item, and even comes with a plug to cover the threads when the antenna is removed. Good thing that is included!
After using antenna for 9 weeks, I heard a "thump" when backing up very slowly from under a small elm tree. Expecting the entire base and antenna to be toppled like even Radio Shack's big whips do, I was surprised to find the antenna had developed a split at the top of the coil allowing everything above the coil to become horizontal. Inspection showed some earlier cracks. I suspect water entered, froze and produced the cracks. Contact with Comet was not promising, either. They stated if the antenna ever contacted a tree, their warranty is void. I suppose if you are on the moon, the warranty applies, but we do have trees in "4-Land." Even old Radio Shack antennas won't fall apart like this one. The base gets a 3 rating, antenna a 0 and Comet's stupid warranty terms a 0. At least the cap is useful since it preserves the base's threads to allow another antenna to be mounted on it.
Advice from the school of experience-save a headache and just buy Larsen.