Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip
Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$54.99
Description: 2m/440 whip antenna with PL-259 type connector, 3/5.5dB gain

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB5-PL 2m/440 mobile whip.

KE6TMQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2004 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the SBB 5 with the Diamond k-601 mount on the back of my 2004 cavalier for about 2 months now. I've been using an old Icom v21at handheld with a max of 5w, but can get into any repeater that i can hear. I love the black finish, it doesnt look all cheese-ball like some of the antennas i've had on my other vehicles. it is very low profile and has excellent performance, which doesnt ruin the sporty look of my new car.

the antenna easily handles mach 10 on the fwy without folding over. also, a problem ive noticed with some mobile whips is a whistle created by wind noise somewhere around 60mph, this doesnt do that, it's silent the whole way through.

can't beat the price or the performance. i would recommend this antenna to anyone, i consider it one of my better investments during my 10 years as a ham.
KE6NFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2001 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the SBB5 for a little over a week now and have already thrashed it up pretty good. However, I have no complaints about its performance or finish. Much better than the mag mount mini antenna I had before. All the local repeaters hit beautifully. I can simplex with a friend that lives about a mile away with low power while still registering 5x5 (we live in the city with buildings and such). I like the fold over feature (for garage use). I am using the Comet RS-720 mount and a Diamond C211 cable kit on an Alinco 605TQ. I'll try and add updates as I continue to use it.
WA4JA Rating: 1/5 May 21, 2001 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Bad experience!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a new SBB-5 with a mag mount. The mag mount is a good item, and even comes with a plug to cover the threads when the antenna is removed. Good thing that is included!
After using antenna for 9 weeks, I heard a "thump" when backing up very slowly from under a small elm tree. Expecting the entire base and antenna to be toppled like even Radio Shack's big whips do, I was surprised to find the antenna had developed a split at the top of the coil allowing everything above the coil to become horizontal. Inspection showed some earlier cracks. I suspect water entered, froze and produced the cracks. Contact with Comet was not promising, either. They stated if the antenna ever contacted a tree, their warranty is void. I suppose if you are on the moon, the warranty applies, but we do have trees in "4-Land." Even old Radio Shack antennas won't fall apart like this one. The base gets a 3 rating, antenna a 0 and Comet's stupid warranty terms a 0. At least the cap is useful since it preserves the base's threads to allow another antenna to be mounted on it.
Advice from the school of experience-save a headache and just buy Larsen.