Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | DRAKE L-4 Help

Reviews Summary for DRAKE L-4
DRAKE L-4 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $no longer manufactured
Description: HF amplifier 80-10m

You can write your own review of the DRAKE L-4.

K0IO Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2008 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased used in 1972. Lost one filter cap, an AC switch, rf relay, and one of the 3-400Z's in the first 4 years. (Oh and the .82 ohm plate fuse when the 3-400 shorted) No more trouble after that and was still going strong when I replaced the 3-400Zs with 3-500s and then sold it in 2005. The rf deck is well constructed and there are conversions around for adding one or a pair of 3CX1200's. Had some minor arcing with the loading capacitor with the 3-500's so a word to the wise. Adding soft start circuitry to the power supply would be a good idea.

VR2AX Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2007 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Drake L-4 Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I saw my first Drake L-4 in action in 1969. Based on that first love I bought a new L-4B in 1973. Currently, I have a L-4 and a L-4B. The L-4, #492, has been modified to L-4B spec in most respects except for the vernier tuning. Agree fully with the last review. My switch is, well, like the reviewer. Have just upgraded with the bypass relay. When that goes I will find another workaround. Get one if you can and keep it. For $700 it can't get any better. One only of my 1983 GE 3-500z is producing 700-1000 watts, the other being duff. This amp will keep you going to the end of the contest and beyond.

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2001 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Drake L 4 Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very good work horse very quite runs well 1.5 KW otherwise will run bit warmer have to watch out for rocker switches they will go bad and there not available anymore. You should wire with a low voltage relay if yours our still good. The the originals were under rated and burn out. Power supply should be checked Best run 230 volt. I have serial number 007 the seventh L4 built in 1966. Also the biggest difference between the L/4 and L4B is the rotary stand-BY switch, you can wire in toggle in alc line for stand -By mode

ZL1DD Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2001 01:19 Send this review to a friend
Great amp, poor power supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran a Drake L-4 for about 10 years. Bought it cheap, fitted 3-500zs and a vernier dial to the plate tune capacitor. Voltage regulation of the original power supply was pathetic and it got alarmingly hot (50Hz mains here would not have helped). Built a husky custom power supply giving 3.2kV. Combination ran trouble free, tuned smoothly, gave bags of power for years. I liked the simple and logical design and the conservatively rated components on the rf deck. Only sold it when offered an amp with 160m capability at a price I could not refuse, otherwise would still be using it.