Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Borsch Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for Borsch Electronics
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Specializing in Kenwood Service

SK

You can write your own review of the Borsch Electronics.

WA7URV Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2016 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Joe Borsch, SK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Joe was born 12/24/1933 in Portland, Oregon.He graduated from Benson Tech where he studied radio. He knew his future was in the field of radio while still in grade school and built his first receiver at age 10. He became licensed in 1950 as W7PNS. He became the service department at Portland Radio Supply after being discharged from the U.S. Army. With two other employees, he purchased Portland Radio around 1960, and became the sole owner in 1970. He sold the business in 1993 and started Borsch Electronics at his home in Tigard, OR. He specialized in repairing ham radio gear and enjoyed working on "old timers" (tube gear) the most. He passed away 2/10/2016 after a 16-year battle with cancer. I first met Joe when I was 16 years old in 1967, purchasing some parts for a high school electronics project. Joe, may your rest in peace! - WA7URV

K7BVT Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2009 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Good repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had Joe repair a couple of TS-440s. The work was done within the time and cost of his initial estimate. I have known Joe since his days at Portland Radio, 40+ years. Knowledgeable and a straight shooter. Not sure what went wrong with the 830 posted here, I believe the 930s have a bad reputation for intermittent connectors which can lead to a repair nightmare.

NA7U Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2006 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Hallelujah! Top notch Drake repair locally!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was so glad to have found a local repair person for my Drake gear, but even happier with the results! Joe is only about a 40 minute drive from my QTH so it was easy to drop off and he is a very amiable and knowledgeable fellow. He performed a very difficult troubleshoot on my R-4C, which sounded like a PTO problem, but wasn't and his charge and thorough explanation of the problem was very, very reasonable. I won't hesitate at all to bring him other Drake rigs should I require help in the future. A+ in my book.
73, NA7U Casey Bahr

KD7UAK Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2005 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have nothing but praise for Joe Borsch. He did excellent, timely work in repairing my Drake TR7. I had bought the rig at a hamfest and used it for about a week, when it suddenly gave up the ghost. Because it wouldn’t power up, I first suspected the PS7 power supply, but testing proved otherwise. The person who had sold me the rig suggested I contact Joe Borsch. Over the course of a couple of phone calls Joe helped me track down what the likely problem was, namely a failed PA transistor, and encouraged me to do the repair myself. At this point I became a bit squeamish about doing this on my own, so I asked Joe to do it for me. About a month ago I personally delivered my TR7 to Joe in Portland, OR. I found his repair shop to be very well-equipped, and Joe to be a fountain of knowledge about radio and electronics. Furthermore, he was very personable. In the run-up to this first meeting, Joe and I had corresponded by e-mail and phone, and he always answered my messages promptly. Joe repaired my TR7 within the time he had originally estimated, i.e., two weeks, and the cost of the repair was very reasonable. The TR7 works great now, just like new. In summary, my experience with Joe Borsch has been 100% positive. I recommend him highly!

W7UIV Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2002 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Fast turnaround  Time owned: more than 12 months
My friend in the barren land of south central Alaska(KL7GLS)had been off the air several years with a dead TS430. Granted, due to family losses ham radio was all but forgotten. Recently in re-establishing contact he desired to get back on the air and was wondering about purchase of some new rig, but didn't want to get too much tied up in something and he likes the 430 anyway. I suggested he send the rig to Joe, and within less than a month he had the rig back and we were in QSO.

My experience with Joe probably goes back into the 1950s when he was the repair manger at Portland Radio Supply. I do recall that sometimes he could get behind on awaiting factory parts, which could disappoint someone wanting their rig back right away. I make no excuses, but I came to understand that aspect a bit better as I repaired equipment in the 1980s, dealing with various vendors. In frustration of getting parts for one piece of equipment the customer ordered that I send it directly to the manufacturer's repair facility where It took seven months (and nearly $8000) to get it back.

Although I have to agree some sort of explanation would be deserving in the case of the TS930 mentioned by one person below that took so long for repairs, and the other person who's repair cost went so high on a piece of equipment. I highly doubt any dishonesty involved here. Joe has too good a reputation established over his career to allow that prospect.

I would still like to know what's going to happen with the broken board I returned to "The Drake Shop" for replacement over a year ago. Emails and letters go through with no return answers.

KB7EFZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2002 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Fixed my rig right  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Joe fixed my dead Yaesu FT747 rapidly and correctly. Price was fair. Intend to have him service my two dead Yaesu mobiles (FT5200 and FT8100) if I'm unable to get them working right.
Sorry to hear the other gent's had communications problems, I haven't.
-Tom Walsh de KB7EFZ CN85ko

N7YW Rating: 0/5 May 25, 2001 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Big, big mistake  Time owned: more than 12 months
My five-plus months of dealing with Joe Borsch while he attempted to repair a TS-930 was undoubtedly the lowest point in my 43+ years as a ham.

WA2TED Rating: 2/5 May 25, 2001 02:37 Send this review to a friend
Lost my Rig to Borsch  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mr Borsch came highly recommended. When my 830S was sent to him I asked that it be evaluated to see if it was fiscally sound to spend a great deal on a radio worth 400. at best. He stated that a 35.00 bench fee would enable him to give basic idea to see what the repair would cost and I could make the judgement call from there. I did not hear from Mr. Borsch for two months,until a message left on my answering machine requesting payment of 335. for services rendered. Spend 335. on a 400. rig? No authorization for carte blanche repairs came from me, verbal or written. Never described the work performed on the rig! Improved communications, and no assumptions would have avoided this mess. Advice: Get any agreement/contract in writing.

KG4JBO Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2001 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Five Star  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent my TS-830S to Joe for service. He turned the repair around very fast. The rig looked brand new when it was returned and works great. If your Kenwood rig stops working, Joe's the man to repair it with 30 plus years of experience.
Joe Borsch