Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit
Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: QRP wattmeter: 300 kHz to 54 MHz in 10W, 1W, and 100mW scales
More info: http://www.ohr.com/wattmeter.htm

You can write your own review of the Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit.

N5IP Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice kit and great accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just completed this kit. No missing parts, simple layout, with plenty of room on the board and an excellent manual. Alignment was simple with a digital VOM and a little patience tweaking the pot for voltage.

Scan earlier review for tips, including NR7F's clever idea for using hex wrenches to align the panel decals. They glided into perfect position.

This was a quality kit and I'm looking forward to opening the other boxes in my order and building the Oak Hills DD-1 Digital Display and OHR100S 40M Rig that were part of my order.

QRP kits and operation revived my interest in Ham radio. And, while building the simpler rigs I've learned more about the theory of radio than I ever did from preparing for the FCC tests.

KA0HVE Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2013 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My old SWR meter isn't at all accurate at QRP or QRPp power levels and I didn't like the reviews for other low power SWR/wattmeters. I've never built a kit before but I knew the WM-2 is what I needed. I ordered it.

I put the kit together the past 2 days and aligned it. Everything was very easy to do with the good instructions. I aligned it dead on with my DMM.

It works great! Now I can be certain of what power level I'm operating at and that my antenna is tuned up properly.

People mention the difficulty with the decals and that had me concerned until I figured out a simple way to do it. Turn the cabinet upside down on a flat surface, peel off the backing, and attach the decals using the flat surface for the top edge of the decals. They lined up perfectly.

I'm very pleased everything went together so well.

I've been using it for only a few hours now but it's exactly what I expected and does exactly what I want from it.

GW4OKT Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2011 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Rugged QRPp wattmeter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good quality PCB & meter. Takes about 4 hours or so to build and very easy to align. Looks a little 'vintage' but works well. It would benefit from having a strengthening bar between the front & rear panels to prevent bending inwards. the manual is very good and easy to follow. This is a good basic/intermediate kit.

WO4S Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2010 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Works great... a must for QRPp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The WM-2 has been indispensable for my Tuna Tin QRPp transmitter. Building it was straightforward, although the front and real panel decals are tricky. Use the utmost caution when applying them, as they are easy to misalign, and impossible to slide once contact has been made with the panel. When I messed up one of my decals, OHR sent me a replacement right away. As others have mentioned, the trim pots are touchy, especially R6. Although I initially built my WM-2 with the el cheapo 3/4-turn stock trim pots, I eventually ordered 20-plus turn replacement pots from Newark, which made calibration infinitely easier.

The WM-2 is an outstanding product, but I'd recommend three improvements to make it even more outstanding:
1) Some sort of alignment tool for the decal application
2) 20-turn or greater trim pots
3) Minor tick marks on the meter scales for greater precision.

Also, I did not notice any trace of tobacco smoke when I opened the package from OHR, and I'm very sensitive to that smell.

W0GI Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2009 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter of QRP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built my kit today, and it was a breeze. The instructions are very good. There are only two toroids to wind, and it isn't a big deal to wind them.

I read some reviews about it being flimsy for the money. I don't agree. The rotory switches, and other parts are high quality, as is the meter.

The only issue I had was adjusting the calibration voltage on R6. It is touchy as was mentioned, mostly on the 100mw voltage. However with a little work, you will get it set to the correct voltage. It really is a minor issue, it just adds a little time to the process. But once done, you won't need to touch it for quite a while.

On the alignment subject, I read a review, that stated you better get it right as you then clip the jumper and you can't align again. Not true, just put a glob of solder on the jumper for future alignments. Easy.

If you do QRP, this is the meter to get. For more accurate rig alignments alone, this meter is well worth the money.

5 stars as there is nothing else like it for QRP.

K6WHP Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2009 20:13 Send this review to a friend
A Revised Opinion and Good News!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would like to amend my previous review to (1) bring joyous news and (2) correct some bad math on my part.

Firstly, I made a grievous error when I said Marshall Emm was a[n] SK. The glorious news was that I was in error; Marshall (one of the finest you will find in this hobby of ours) is very much with us.

Secondly, Marshall informs me that my purchase of the WM-2 was after he took over the stewardship of Oak Hills Research and I had paid $89.95 + s&h in November of 1999. Using that as a baseline, the increase in price from that amount to the current $109.95 is more than reasonable considering the inflation we have experienced on "other necessities"..

..and, let's face it, a good QRP[p] watt meter *is* a necessity. That you can build it yourself and calibrate it very simply is a treasure beyond price. And, as I said, the WM-2 is a very good instrument -- especially when compared to a Bird watt meter or similarly higher-priced ones.

If I have any regret, it is that is that the OHR-500 is now an SK, ao to speak. I had built and used one of those and eBayed it so that I could purchase an Elecraft K-2. I miss that OHR-500, a sturdy and whisper quiet radio.

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2008 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Wattmeter_WM-2 is Truly QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wattmeter_WM-2 is Truly QRP

I have quite the story to tell about my very SPECIAL WM-2 wattmeter which I used for many years until I recently got talked out of it by a ... you gessed it... a QRPer!

One CHRISTmas many years past, NT5W/Atlee surprised me with a gift of a FACTORY WIRED WM-2. I believe he told me at the time he ordered it, he was the first purchaser to order it Factory Wired so you can imagine how long ago!

I went thru the QRP craze and when the dust settled, I felt no need to transmit Less than 15-25watts so my Special WM-2 sat in a zip-lock baggie on the shack shelf for a while.

When I opened the box my unit looked good cosmetically with no damage.

My WM-2 did not smell of stale cigarettes nor did it have cigarette ashes inside the box. Of course I was only too eager to compare this wideband unit with my Bird Model 43 with 5w and 10w slugs. Amazingly, the accuracy was the virtually the same! The current drain is very low and No R.F. got into it. I like the ole analog meter design too.

So, for design, execution, low power consumption, reliability & Factory built/tested for a fair price, my WM-2 easily earns the WV4R “FIVE” star rating.

73 es GOD bless…. murf/WV4R.

W8BBM Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2008 07:05 Send this review to a friend
QRPp Must Have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought and built my kit several years ago and it is an outstanding little piece of equipment. It went together just as the instructions said it would and I had no difficulties at all. Like building any kit, all one needs to do is take their time and double check EVERY step BEFORE it is made. None of it is rocket science and I would say that a careful 11 or 12 year old could easily do the work.

I love this little meter and if you are planning on doing QRPp, it is great to know, document and say with confidence that you are putting out a 20mw signal. The actual meter is nice, large, easy to see AND adjust. Next to accuracy, that is a critically important feature that even most full power meters don't offer.

This is a solid little piece of equipment that is recognized by the established QRP community as essential and accurate when built and calibrated to manual specifications.

Build and enjoy!

Peter W8BBM

IW3FZQ Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2008 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Wattmeter !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have 2 Daiwa meters and one Bird 43 but WM-2 is very funny to use! I've built it in some hours, if you read the included manual it is impossible to mistake or obtain bad behavior. It has a good nquality meter while all components are medium quality. Very low consumption, it works with 5 Volts too!!! I haven't found cigarettes ash inside like many HAMs !! It works until 70 MHz. After alignment, I compared it to my Bird 43 with a very minimum difference on HF and without difference between 28 and 70 MHz. OAK, well done! 73 de Enrico, IW3FZQ

N6HI Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2008 23:46 Send this review to a friend
See Link for step-by-step photos of kit construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter is a great kit building experience for beginners and a VERY useful accessory item for any QRP station or test bench. Before I built this kit I had no way to really measure the output of my QRP rig accurately, and had to "guess" at my output power.

The guessing game is over, and the WM-2 is a great addition to my station. I am a dedicated QRPer, and have not used more than 5 Watts on ANY band or mode in the last 12 years. I don't know how I ever got along without one of these meters!

As digital photography is one of my "other hobbies" I decided to photo-document the entire process of building the WM-2 Kit, and have published the results on my website. If you are considering building this kit, you can see exactly what the process will entail if you go to my website at at:

... then click on "The Joy of Kit Building"

I highly recommend the OHR WM-2 Wattmeter to all QRP operators!

"72" John N6HI