Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit
Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: QRP wattmeter: 300 kHz to 54 MHz in 10W, 1W, and 100mW scales
More info: http://www.ohr.com/wattmeter.htm

You can write your own review of the Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP Wattmeter Kit.

K2JJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit with a few construction caveats.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wouldn't recommend this as your first kit but if you are reasonably careful and have some help it could certainly be done. A few construction hints. Clean the PC board solder side carefully before you begin to remove any oxidation. This will help solder flow quickly and cleanly, The lands on the board are not uniform and only have a small area for the solder to stick in some places. A brown paper bag material is abrasive enough for the job, add a little contact cleaner to the paper if you wish.

On the external power/battery switch solder the wires to the switch BEFORE you mount it to the rear panel. The terminals on the switch are small and are easily shorted together or to the retaining tabs on the switch. This will allow you to inspect it easily. Very hard to see after it is mounted.

If you are not familiar with winding the coils get some help or use the the OHR contractor to do it for you. It is very important that these coils are wound properly.

Inspect the board carefully for solder bridges after installing each component particularly the 2 IC's. This step will save you trouble later as it is not that easy to remove the board for troubleshooting after it is installed.

Other than that everything goes together very easily. Alignment is easy but the pots can be a bit touchy to get the exact voltage you need. The meter works very well and is quite accurate as compared to my HP-436A power meter. All in all I think you'll be very satisfied with this product

NU4B Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2007 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great kit for QRP'ers. My kit had all the parts. The instructions were easy to understand. Everything went together well. Alignment was also easy to do. I ended up with a nice looking piece of equipment that has already come in handy measuring milliwatt levels. If your running QRP or QRPp you will enjoy this kit.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Must have for the QRPer!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am not an experienced builder but the WM-2 was a great experience. It was no problem to build it and it works very fine. A very useful tool in the QRPers shack. Highly recommended!

AE6CP Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2006 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Must have for kitbuilding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not much to say, the kit is well put together. Worked fine the first time. Makes TX alignment a snap.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2006 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent QRP Accessory!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built and have used my WM-2 for nearly 5 years now. It is accurate, and great for the price. I will add that when I built mine, not only the box smelled of tobacco smoke, but the components themselves also had the odor. Aften a month or two, the odor finally dissipated. It has worked great all the time I've owned and used it.

AI4IK Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2006 18:35 Send this review to a friend
You'll like it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great wattmeter. I also like my heathkit qrp wattmeter but it doesn't read down into the milliwatts but is very accurate.

As for the cigarette smell in the box???!! I want to take you hunting with me and I'll leave my dog at home. You got a better nose than she does.

You girlie men need to get a life. People have to put up with the smell of your nasty alcohol habit. At least you don't see smokers with their head in a toilet throwing up like drinkers. Now that's a nasty habit!

Get one of these wattmeters. You'll like it.

POOBA53 Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2006 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All kit parts were present, instructions were for the most part easy to follow, and the finished product looks nice and performs as it should.

What more could ya' want?

KD6WD Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2006 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Great-a must have!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are into QRP you must have one. I feel its mandatory to have one if your going to claim 1,000 miles per watt. It beefy enough not to slide off the bench and has an excellent size meter for interpolation.

By the way to the guys who complained about cigarette smell. Get a life! Those comments were (in my humble opinion) just politically correct crap. It kind of reminds me of a fellow engineer who used to smell his armpits several times a day. Finally I said,"Take a shower daily, use some deoderant and you will not have to worry!"

I personally do not smell every box I receive from a supplier. In many cases everyone uses newspaper from neighbors or other recycled material to protect what you get from shipping damage. Personally I hate those damn plastic peanuts that go all over when you open a box. Also I do not care if the UPS guy smokes as long as he doesn't throw my deliveries on the porch from the end of the driveway like the US Postal Service does. So in rebuttal I just sent the wife out to get me a Monte Cristo cigar.

Enuff said on P.C. stuff.

Because it easy to forget to turn the meter off, add one of those little chip kits for switching off the battery automatically after 45 minutes or so. It will save you replacing the battery unnecessarily. In conclusion, its a very welcome addition to anyone getting into QRP. Get a kit, build it and enjoy. Its really a one of a kind setup you will find diffcult to find elsewhere if at all.
Over the years I have built quite a few Oak Hills kits and have never been disappointed with the performance. All in all its just plain "cool".

NR7F Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2005 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Nice meter, could be improved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's been about a year since the last review of this product, and I just built it, so I'll add my two cents....

I wanted to build this wattmeter primarily because I know of no commercially available QRP wattmeters that are accurate and measure at this level of detail. Based on reviews here and the opinions of several QRP’ing friends, I felt this meter would be a valuable addition to the shack. I think the solid reviews this product gets are warranted based on my experience. I personally could not build it in a few hours (as others have), but I just build slow and carefully. When I take that approach, the products typically work without a hitch, as this one did.

I will add a few criticisms. These gripes do not “make or break” the product, but I think they are valid points to consider. I would buy this product again, but I’d still wish for a few improvements. First, the quality of the materials is nothing great for a $100 item. The cover and the chassis strike me as, maybe not flimsy, but not high quality (jagged edges, fragile paint). The black paint on the cover was already chipping off at the corners when it arrived. The circuit board is adequate, but I suspect it will take very little in the way of abuse from correcting errors, so solder carefully. It does not solder as nicely a clad-through boards, but hey, it works. A previous comment among reviews here about the product arriving with the smell of cigarette smoke was also what I experienced. That was annoying. I swear there was cigarette ash in some of the packaging. The vinyl adhesive covers for the front and back panel must be carefully applied or you end up with a cockeyed-looking panel. I avoided this by placing hex wrenches through several panel holes, taping them into place (on the back side of the panels, and then using them to guide the adhesive cover right into position (ie, bring the adhesive down toward the panel, letting the hex wrenches come right through the appropriate hole in the adhesive, and you're aligned right on target).

That said, the end product looks nice, if maybe a little “retro” (not necessarily a bad thing). It aligns well, and as far as I can tell, it is accurate. It is only because of some of the materials issues that I give this product a “4”, rather than a “5”.

N7KZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2004 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Kit!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The OHR WM2 is a good looking little meter and a fine addition to any QRP shack. The kit went together without a hitch and has been rugged and reliable so far. Pictures and more comments on my website http://www.qsl.net/n7kzz/wm2.html