Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TW-4000A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TW-4000A
Kenwood TW-4000A Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$600.00
Description: The first Dual Bander for 144/440.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TW-4000A.

K1MBR Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2007 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Golden Oldie  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my 2nd fully synthesized mobile radio and my first dual bander! I picked this up at the Dayton Hamvention the year that Kenwood released it. (about 20 years ago, I believe). It was a great mobile and I installed the PL option and the Voice option as well. It has been used as a link receiver to tie repeaters together for special events and as a packet radio for events as well as my home.

About the only thing I have done to it in all these years is change the display lamps, add the options, replace the backup battery and modify it with a true discriminator hook up for packet.

Yes the word TANK is certainly appropriate. I still have this unit but have retired it due to the problem with multiable CTS frequencies in the area. It does have a great set of ears with the GasFET front end.

Larry "I'Gor" K1MBR

VA7CZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2006 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Great old dual-band rig  Time owned: months
I first purchased my TW4000A when it was "new." Well, actually, it had been gathering dust on VE1AI's store shelf for a while and I made him an offer. Turned out to be one of my better decisions. The radio has separate GaAsFET front ends for UHF and VHF and is simply the most sensitive receiver I've ever seen in a mobile FM rig. Mine does not have the factory tone board and is currently laid up due to some minor problems and the need of a memory battery, but over the years it has given excellent service, both as a mobile and a base radio. It's not the most powerful transmitter around, but its ears more than make up for that. On simplex, I'm able to clearly hear people who cannot make me out at 25w on 2m or 20w on 70cm. And, though we poured a cup of water out of it after hurricane Juan tore the roof off my home in 2003, it worked fine after I dried it out for a month!

KB1NHD Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2006 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Great performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this from the original owner who bought it new 20+ years ago with the factory PL tones installed.....a rarity then. I'ts used as a base radio an avg. of four hrs. daily and is rock solid, built like a tank and just keeps on doing the job. A friend was so impressed with it that he has since acquired two of them! My only complaint is being locked into a single PL tone unless I change the dip switches on the board but that's the nature of old technology and really isn't a big problem in a base radio application anyway. If you find one, don't be afraid to pay top dollar, maybe almost as much as a new, but lesser quality single-bander 2m rig...... the TW-4000 will likely be working long after the new one is gone. Jerry-KB1NHD

M3DPE Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2003 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Good basic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my TW4000a off a guy from the local radio club when I first got my Foundation Licence. It was cheap (think I paid 125) and dual band which was exactly my criteria.

Have had one problem with the microphone cable which I had to replace, apart from that it's performed flawlessly and with excellent audio quality. I understand from others that they make good packet rigs too.

As long as you don't pay too much for one, you can't go wrong. The only thing I miss is DTMF for a few of my local repeaters, although it does have tone burst so can get the majority.

W6PMR Rating: 3/5 Aug 3, 2001 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Try again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well always open to being wrong I went out to the garage and searched some boxes and lit up the TW4000.
WY6S says I can do 20khz spacing, well then lets try it!
Well my 4000 will not go to 5khz spacing on the 450 band, his does-mine wont. There is then some updating to the radio I am not aware of so if you are looking at one of these check to see if you can get 5khz steps on 450. I now live in Northern California and can use open 450 machines....what a concept.

W0VP Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2001 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Keep your eyes open for the TW-4100A also  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TW-4100A is an updated version of the TW-4000A (no PL dip switches to fool with). It's built like a tank and is very reliable. I used one in my packet station for years and (other than replacing the dial lamps) never had a single problem with it.

Nice radio!

KC
W0VP
Cedar Falls, IA

WY6S Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2001 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Great old rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got one for sale (to pay off my new FT-817), so keep in mind I could be biased <grin>. I absolutely love my 4000A, it's been with me through thick and thin and has always served me well.

W6PMR, with all due respect, the 4000A will work in the 20KHz bandplan. I use mine all the time. It's merely a matter of pressing the 'FS' button and walking through the band in 5Kc steps (maybe there's an issue with deviation, but I have yet to hear any complaints).

The one problem with the radio is the PL - you set one tone for each band through dip-switches on the bottom. In SoCal,
there is an incredible diversity of PL tones in use, so you have to make your choice wisely, or buy an outboard PL box like ComSpec's...

N7PZI Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2001 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Good Old Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I learned that I had passed my Tech + exam in 1990, I couldn't WAIT to buy a radio. My budget was such that used was the only way I could go. From a BBS, I found a TW 4000A for sale about 180 miles from my home. I asked some friends about this radio, and to a person they gave it pretty glowing reviews. So, I called the guy and said I am on the way! Before leaving, I bought a dual band mag mount and headed down the road. I purchased the radio, and at the first rest stop on the interstate home, I hooked it up. For the full 3 hour drive home, I tuned into everything I could find. It was fascinating in comparison the the scanner I had been using for listen only. I wanted so bad to transmit, but knew better! I used this radio both at home, mobile in the car and on board my boat for a couple of years until I could afford a new radio. Now the TW 4000A is in my home shack. While I primarily use it for packet, I still use it for voice fairly often. I like the bigger knobs - work better with my fat fingers! I guess the best part of the radio is how well it handles intermod. It still amazes me. All in all, a fine radio. I guess you could say "they don't build 'em like that any more"!

WOR7AVC Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2001 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you can find a good used TW-4000A radio these are excellent radios. They don't suffer from a lot of intermod and put out 25 watts on 144/440.
This would make a great packet only or backup rig for the car or shack.