Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Murch UT-2000a Help

Reviews Summary for Murch UT-2000a
Murch UT-2000a Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $136.00
Description: 2kw 80-10 Meter Tuner

You can write your own review of the Murch UT-2000a.

WD9DUI Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2014 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Built like a Tank!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these, just got rid of mine, it held up fine and worked well. The problem I ran into was the turns counter finally gave out after wear and needed repairs/parts. I had the tuner for over 5 years, I had obtained it at swap meet for $80. There have been other posts here about maintenance, yes you need to pull the cover off and oil/lube/clean it so things donít wear out. The one I had someone had installed a SWR bridge, which I really did not use.

KC6WPB Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2011 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna Match, quick and easy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews on eHam and finding one on Ebay for $57.00. I now own a Murch UT-2000A Antenna Match. I put it up on my MFJ1799 10 band vertical and tuned in 40m in 30 secs. with my Kenwood 820s. Can't beat that with my Kenwood AT-230 and MFJ-989c. I keep a Bird watt meter between radio and tuners because I don't trust the meters in these match units, so not having a meter in the Murch is not a problem. I will put in an antenna switch and life is good. When I get a linear I will have a nice clean match box for 1kw and beyond. I may by another one and sale my MFJ-989c.

KB2CPW Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2010 03:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Cheap Tuner..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

Picked one up needing work, the turns counter didn't work but the unit was in good condition. I cleaned everything up, repaired the turns counter with a spring from the hardware store an put it in line. You have to be careful not to bang the end stops or the wheel may jump off of the coil and you will have to remove the top cover and reset it and then have to re-zero the turns counter. I put little rubber O-rings on each end to cushion the stops, yet it will still tune the whole coil.

I use this thing from 10-80 and it works fine. There is a trick to using the T-Match, especially this one.. The first thing I do is peak the rx up with it. Once you have some noise coming in, you're close. Then tune it on AM or CW for the lowest match. If you can't achieve a match low enough for your tastes, rotate the center knob to the right a few degrees and then re-tune the input and output and it should come down.

Make sure you keep the inner workings clean and properly lubed.

The cons are the lack of a meter, only one input and output. You can modify it since there is plenty of room.

The plus is that they can be had cheap and they work all day long..

N4UM Rating: 3/5 Jun 19, 2009 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Lousy turns counter  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a tuner it appears to be fine. The meter isn't worth a damn and the turns counter dial is really a piece of junk. The guts (capacitors and coil) appear to be first quality. I gave up on the meter and use an external swr meter. Had to replace the turns counter dial assembly. It seems a shame that such a good electrical design was mechanically so poorly implemented.

K6PS Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 00:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner- Excelent Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really really like this tuner

Background - I have a LOT of tuners. I have been a ham for 40+ years and have picked up many many flea market tuners...rarely ever selling them. I have many superb home brews, the Drake MN-2000, LDGs, EF Johnson 275 and 1KW match boxes, Heathkit 2040 & 2060, Dentron MT3000, Swan/Cubic, Kenwood 230, TenTecs, and lots more. Why I even have an ancient WRL (World Radio Labs) tuner.

I have two of these Murch units. They are not fancy. They are very basic mechanically driven meter-less (MT2000A model) tuners. I usually use an MFJ 259 Antenna analyzer to tune the antenna through the match box, and then hit it with a transit signal.

The Murch is a classic design via Lew McCoy, and it really does the job. The inductor is aluminum and on some units I am told the roller may bind a little. I have not had this issue. I paid $50 and $100 USD for my two units.

If you can find one at a HAM fest....buy it. They do work, and they are very efficient. They are simple and very reliable. I know there are Palstars, MFJ, and more out there. I won't say that this unit is better than some modern SGC, LDG, Palstars, but wow...look a the price difference.

In the final analysis both will do the job equally well. I know the EF Johnson are very high efficiency. In the end.... hey for the money...you can't go wrong. The Murch 2000a has the blessing of SK long time QST editor Lew McCoy. You can't ask for a better endorsement.

I give it a 5. yes ...it is that good...IMHO....YMMV.

73 de K6PS

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2007 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid Build + Dependable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No frills, dependable and built like a tank.

Easy to tune and handles high power effortlessly.

All you need to do is add the SWR meter and away you go. Love this unit.

Steve, VR2XMQ

KC4WMS Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2007 03:48 Send this review to a friend
Basic 2KW tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Elmer has had his UT 2000a since new, his son in law also bought the one I have at the same time. I knew from servicing the 2000a it was well built, and when I was offered the son in law's UT 2000 A LX ( it also has a meter ) for $150 in mint cond. I dove on it.
Prior I was using a Dentron Super Tuner,a 1 KW tapped inductor that was a joy to use, it tuned anything I hooked to it well. I have not been impressed these past couple months with the Murch.

Issues I have are :

#1 there is almost NO literature on it.
#2 the meter as it stands is almost useless.
#3 it doesn't tune as well as my Dentron did.

what I've done:
#1 managed to find info on the UT 2000a & also the UT 2000b and merged the data.
#2 to correct the meter, I have decided to modify the tuner and install a basic SWR bridge inside.I
found some old paperwork on a Heathkit SWR bridge and am modifying it slightly to suit my needs.IF everything works out and it's accurate. I'll post the mod.
#3 not much I can really do but plan on a longer tune time.

All in all, I am not sorry I bought the Murch, I do feel I over paid for it but hey compairing it to what MFJ and others are selling for Lots more $$$ , I will learn to love the Murch and hey I also have a new project to play with while in the shack ;o)

it's not often these days you can actually get into a piece of equipment and do anything to it. This is my idea of FUN!!!

Don't be afraid to buy a Murch, they are bulletproof, and WILL handle that legal limit.

73 to all and Good Hamming!

K2GW Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2005 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Used Daily for 25 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Murch UT-2000A for 25 years. Still work great and will tune almost anything with very repeatable results.

After long term use, just lube the coil tap guide shaft every few years with a little graphite to keep things smooth and it just keeps on going and going.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2003 20:34 Send this review to a friend
HIGH quality components!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For it's time frame, had to be one of the best. Mine works great .... would still use it, except won't tune my antennas on 160M .... Quality built, though.

N1PD Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2002 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Great simple tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up my UT-2000A at the Charlotte hamfest this year and I am very pleased with it. It is in great shape both mechanically and cosmetically. I does a fantastic job of matching my Windom and my 600' long wire on all bands. I agree with another reviewer that said it would be nice to have a bypass switch and an antenna switch built in but who can complain for $70!