Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | ANTTRON 8010B Help

Reviews Summary for ANTTRON 8010B
ANTTRON 8010B Reviews: 8 Average rating: 2.4/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Multiband HF Vertical

You can write your own review of the ANTTRON 8010B.

N5CSU Rating: 0/5 Nov 30, 2005 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Just Awful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great idea but just an awful antenna performance wise. Love the simple setup, no radials and short length. But... 20 meters sounds like a dead band on it, but when I switch to the G5RV, the band comes alive.

KE4MOB Rating: 1/5 Aug 12, 2004 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Very expensive dummy load  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, maybe not. Dummy loads are easy to tune!

This antenna leaves a lot to be desired in performance. 10M was acceptable, 20M was marginal, 40 and 80...forget it. Trying to tune a ground mount, no radial installation is an exercise in futility. And once it is tuned guess what? The signals are down (WAY down). I switched back and forth between the Anttron and inverted V up 30 feet and was looking at 5-7 S units difference on 40 meters. The first time I used it, I actually pulled out a VOM to make sure it wasn't my feedline or PL259's causing the problem...then I shut off the rig's autotuner and went with a manual roller inductor model just to make sure it was really tuning. Still down on receive, and on transmit you might as well yell really loud in the direction of the station you want to work...they'll have a better chance of hearing you.

A Hustler 5BTV (same mounting) ran rings around this puppy (and didn't need a tuner). The band popped to life and the contacts started rolling once we switched over. It was really a shocking difference between the other antennas and this one. I don't know if it's tuner/feedline losses, mounting, or what...but this antenna got shoved to the back of our club's equipment locker real fast...and hasn't been out since.

WD5DOR Rating: 0/5 Mar 15, 2004 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Anttron Performance is awful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the antenna on the advice of a salesman(?) in a CB shop who had boughtout a defunct ham store's supplies. A dummy load radiates better. A signal that is S9 +20 using an inverted V won't even register on the meter when using the Anttron. It was fed with 30' of RG8X thru an MFJ 949E. Reports on my signal strength running 125 wattts were similar. USELESS as a ham antenna!

K0JJM Rating: 3/5 Jun 2, 2003 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Good for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna to use as a back-up, Field Day, and portable antenna. In Michigan it was used attched to a support on the back porch of our cabin. Made a number of contacts. It even made a 10 meter contact back to Kansas in the summer! For Field Day 2001 it was used in the middle of the Flint Hills of Kansas. Made a lot of contacts. I use it with an ICOM 746. The tuner is able to handle it (along with 100' of coax (per directions)) on 10 to 40 meters. 80 just never made it. Sent it back in for a modification (done by the company after notifying me) on 80. Don't know how effective that was. May try it again this summer. Construction is solid but as noted by another reviewer, it ends up somewhat off kilter. For use on 10 - 20 meters it works well, falling off at 40 and very poor at 80. I would not use it as a primary antenna but for back-up etc., it does a good job.

W9CEO Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2002 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Good Buy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to install. Mine is clamped to an eight foot section of tower on a fold over kit, about 12 ft. up. (Note: I wanted something up quick and this worked.) The antenna has worked great for not using radials or a gound plane. I'm using a FT 1000D and the antenna tunes easy on all bands including 160m. I have worked stations on 10m thru 40m...haven't tried 80m. This would be a great antenna for you RVers, it could clamp to the ladder on your RV. Paid only $99 thru WB0W.

AE4TF Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2001 11:09 Send this review to a friend
A good buy.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the 8010-B back in January of 2001. I live in a restricted development and have to take down the antenna occasionly due to hurricane warnings so the 7 lb weight and easy disassembly were prime factors. It is mounted on an aluminum pipe which has a few buried radials and is only 4 feet above the ground. An MFJ-949E is the tuner and it is fed with about 50 ft of RG-8X coax. I have had good results with dx and even worked the dxpeditions to Niger and Comoros on 3 bands each. The results on 30-10 meters have been very good but the signal reports on 40 meters have been poor even though it tunes up fine on that band. Overall, it is a good purchase for anyone in similar circumstances and it won't break your budget like some other brands of verticals.

WA8QZS Rating: 3/5 May 26, 2001 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Stealth Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased and put up my 8010B last December. It is mounted on 10 foot of mast off the end of my wood deck. I use an old MFJ 940 tuner, 100 Ft of RG8X coax in conjunction with a Kenwood TS 830 S. I agree with N7FAE's evaluation. While the antenna will load on 80 meters I cannot hear anyone to work. It loads fine on 40 also but the received signals are about 3-4 S units below a 40 meter dipole I have in my attic. On 30 Meters and above it compares favorably with the dipole in the attic also used with the same tuner. I live in a restricted developement but to date have had no complaints on the antenna or my operation. Overall my rateing of 3 is conservative and I would recommend it for those in similar situations.

N7FAE Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2001 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Good Stealth Multiband Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these as they are only 18' tall, slim white fiberglass profile, and no radials required. Mechanically, I would say good construction, went together very easily, the only complaint is that the 2nd section was glued when at about a 5 degree angle, so whole antenna is slightly cocked in the air. Performance-wise, it compares very well with a 33' 40m quarter wave sloper I had in the backyard. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 10 on 20m, an 8 on 40 and 15, a 7 on 10m, and a 4 on 80m (definately not an 80m antenna, although I have made some contacts). The good news is that I am feeding it with about 80' of RG8X with no radials, up on a 10' R/S mast in the backyard, and my Yaesu FT890AT tunes all bands easily, although it groans a little on 80m. I plan ofcourse to add some radials as time permits. Overall, I would give it a 4 out of 5, it's not the hottest antenna I've had, but I'm extremely pleased with it's stealth appearance and height, as well as the easy to assemble contruction.