Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-1R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-1R
Yaesu VX-1R Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $100-125
Description: Ultra Compact Dual Band Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vx-1r.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-1R.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2009 19:55 Send this review to a friend
A WONDERFUL POCKET HT WITH MANY POSSIBILITIES !  Time owned: more than 12 months
HELLO, I HAVE HAD MY VX-1R SINCE IT CAME OUT SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

ITS ANTENNA DOES A GOOD JOB ON 2M AND A INCREDABLE JOB ON 440MHZ.

I UTILIZE IT FOR NOT ONLY SCANNING THE HAM BANDS,BUT ALSO PUBLIC SERVICE BANDS.

I USE THE MALDOL MH-209SMA FOR MONITORING BOTH.

THE MALDOL IS A GREAT ANTENNA THAT TRANSMITS AS WELL AS IT RECEIVES.

I USE THIS TRANSCEIVER EVERYWHERE I GO.

I FIND THAT A SMALL CAMERA POUCH FROM STAPLES WORKS WELL.

I ATTACH IT TO MY BELT AND USE THE SPEAKER MIC.

THIS IS GREAT FOR HAMFEST.

I HAVE USED IT AS A LOW POWER TRANSMITTER FOR A FOX HUNT.

JUST USE LOW POWER AND WRAP A RUBBER BAND AROUND IT AND YOU HAVE A FOX TO FIND.

I HAVE NEVER HAD IT GET HOT NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TOOK OTHER HAMS TO FIND IT.

THE BATTERY CASE THAT HOLDS ONE ALKALINE AA BATTERY IS REALLY NICE TO HAVE.

USE ONLY ALKALINE BATTERIES,RECHARGEABLES DO NOT WORK IN MY VX-1R.

THE ALKALINE BATTERY WILL LAST A CONSIDERABLE LENGTH OF TIME.

THE AA CASE IS STILL AVAILABLE AT UNIVERSAL RADIO.

THE YAESU CARRYING CASE IS A MUST TO KEEPING THE VX-1R IN GREAT CONDITION.

I HAVE COMPARED THE ANTENNA THAT CAME WITH MY VX-1R AGAINST THE ANTENNAS THAT CAME WITH MY YAESU VX-2R AND VX-3R.

THE VX-3R AND VX-2R ANTENNAS ARE THE SAME MODEL.

THE VX-1R'S WAS THE WINNER ON VHF AND UHF.

THE VX-3R AND VX-2R ANTENNA WERE ALMOST DEAF ON THE WX FREQUENCIES.

I USE THE Comet SMA24 WHEN I USE THE VX-2R AND VX-3R.

I WOULD HAVE LIKED YAESU TO HAVE MADE A EXTERNAL CHARGER FOR CHARGING THE VX-1R'S BATTERY PACK.

THIS WOULD MAKE THE RADIO ALOT MORE USEABLE.

THE DOWN TIME FOR CHARGING THE BATTERY PACK IS 2 HRS FOR A FULL CHARGE.

YOU CAN STILL PURCHASE THE VX-1R BATTERY PACK FROM BATTERIES AMERICA FOR 29.00 DOLLARS.

I CALLED YAESU AND OTHER ACCESSORIES ARE STILL AVAILABLE FROM THEM.

IF YOU FIND ONE ON E-BAY OR OTHER HAM CLASSIFIED SITES PLEASE PICK ONE UP.

YOU WILL BE VERY PLEASED WITH YOUR PURCHASE.

THANKS, CHUCK N4UED

WD4AOG Rating: 3/5 Feb 8, 2009 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Great features but fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pros: Price, fantastic features, compact.

I loved mine when I first bought it. It was the ultimate scanner that also allowed you to talk on ham radio. The audio on transmit sounded like a base station and receive audio wasn't bad.

Cons: Fragile

Main problem was the antenna connector. After a couple of years, it began to come loose from the circuit board inside. I had to repair this problem several times. It also developed logic problems that were beyond my expertise. Note that I did not abuse the unit but did use it often. (A friend of mine experienced the same problems about the same time into ownership.)

In other words, it was great while it lasted. I'd like to have one of the newer versions but I'm afraid it won't last long term. I bought a larger Kenwood instead and am very happy with that.

VK3JME Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 04:39 Send this review to a friend
I'm in love!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found my VX-1 at a flee market, I paid $5 for it!
It didn't come with a charger, so it was a bit of a laugh when I paid $20 for a charger for it.
I didn't actually need to buy a charger for it as most Nokia mobile phone chargers will suit it too.
That makes a really cool radio as you only need to take one charger to charge your phone and radio when you travel.

I am really impressed with this little gem as after I have modified it, it has allowed me to to TX on 477Mhz UHF CB bands here in Australia.

Since I purchased this radio, it goes every where with me!

Cons: The stock antenna is not much more than a dummy load.
The AF audio is a little weak and tinny, but what would you expect for such a tiny radio. I'm not complaining!

The menu system used by Yaesu is hard to get used to especially when all my other radios are Kenwood.

But I'm learning how to use it, and it is giving me nothing but joy!
I will never sell this radio!

KA9DFI Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2008 11:38 Send this review to a friend
More than I had expected!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this little h.t. on ebay. I found the features really cool. Also, for some reason, it not only transmitts on the two ham bands. It also transmitts on the air band, marine band, and the police and fire frequencies. It also transmits on uhf and vhf t.v. bands.
I didn't modify it. It just came that way. I asked the seller, who sold it to me brand new, said he didn't modify it either.
What did I get, a European model?

ALPHA1 Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2007 06:49 Send this review to a friend
YAESU VX 3E  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the new VX-3E Cracking little radio so much better that the 1r and 2e small and tx is much better a great radio ill be keeping this one.

JA7UDE Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2007 15:41 Send this review to a friend
A nice little bug  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my VX-1 for more than ten years. It works all the time as expected. It can be powered by an AA cell. Nice feature.

G1YRV Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2006 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad, but not perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its not often that a good all rounder comes along in small packages. This set does have some odd programming ways about it, but putting the one-band-at-a-time scanning aside, it is still worth considering buying for all the features it has and how well it performs at the job in hand. Firstly, throw away the supplied rubber duck, and replace with a Comet or Watson item, also, to help speed up programming, download freeware software, get any programming interface cable and stick on the 4 conductor 3.5 jack and you will be away. Yes the set has been replaced with VX's that dont have the odd things the VX-1r does but they are now getting quite cheap on the secondhand market.Another bonus if you are lucky to find them is the batteries are exactly the same as used in Sharp Minidisc players of a few years ago.

W5TD Rating: 2/5 Jun 15, 2006 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Get the VX2 instead  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these HTs in a trade recently. Get the VX2R instead. It has more power, better audio, and is easier to program and use.

G0FVT Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2006 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Fiddly but Fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had mine about a year, my other handy is an old Icom IC32E which is more powerful, easier to use etc etc...however..IT IS NOT HANDY!

The little VX1 was given to me a while ago by a friend that had bought a VX2, I must admit I have not settled down to read the manual but it has been a useful little set... one of the most endearing features is the small size, it fits into a pocket readily and therefore does not get left at home.

I still find it wierdly fascinating that if you remove the battery and stand it next to the radio it seems to be just as tall!

All in all a tremendously useful little radio, the power output does not actually prove to be as much of a limitation as people expect.

The transceiver is "fully loaded" despite it's size, the versatile receiver is very handy, the medium wave receive is predictably a bit dire particularly on the supplied aerial, band 2 receive is usable.

The radio has somewhat harsh receive audio and I personally find it a little fiddly to use, but WOW it is such a small set, battery life is also good.

KF6HCD Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2005 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Petite and Sweet...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought first one back in '96 when I got licensed... Destroyed it within six months because I carried it every where as a towing driver. Dropped it many times because I am a klutz. That's what killed it. Got another for Christmas 2002 (tnx, XYL), have had it ever since. No problems because I learned to treat it a little more gently. Its small size makes it perfect for pocket work. Got an aftermarket stubby Comet dual band antenna, and it hears better than the stock.

Receive audio is a little down, but what else can one expect of such a tiny speaker? No way around physics. Transmit audio is reported to be excellent, but this requires the op to speak directly into the mic. If off axis, audio falls off drastically, but this is okay if you are using it in a high ambient noise area.

Transmit power is about as high as you can expect for a rig of its size... Again, physics have laws, and will not be violated.

Unit fits nicely in my hand, and the buttons are easy to figure out. Over time, I have learned to operate it without looking.

This is the smallest radio I have ever owned. Can't think of another brand I would buy, but based on my experience with this rig, I would buy a VX-7 if I could clear it with the family accountant...