Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-1R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-1R
Yaesu VX-1R Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $100-125
Description: Ultra Compact Dual Band Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vx-1r.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-1R.

AE6GS Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2004 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Really a fun little toy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a VX-1 for nearly two years and it's still sitting on my desk, ready to go anywhere I go.

It's not perfect - It's a bit idiosyncratic, with its odd two memory banks that can only be switched by turning off the radio and restarting it, but it's a very functional little radio, more "great" than "good," hence the "5" rating.

It's outstanding on 440, passable on 2m with the stock antenna. Connected to a magmount antenna, however, I have had QSOs through repeaters 30 miles away.

Of course, the most amazing thing is that this is a radio you can always have in your pocket and carry anywhere. I can't explain why, but I like the feel of the VX-1 in my hand better than the VX-2; somehow it feels smaller and falls into the curve of my hand easier.

When doing public service work, I use my VX-5 as my "workhorse," but I carry my VX-1 as a secondary receiver (for instance, to monitor police or fire frequencies while the VX-5 is working the event frequency) and backup.

My favorite use of this radio (and, now that I have one, of the VX-2) is for moments when I don't want to bring attention to the fact I have a radio. I can conceal this radio in any pocket, even the "business card" pocket inside of my suit jacket. I use it with an earphone/microphone combination and it's quite stealthy.

I definitely recommend this as a second radio, as a backup, and for "stealth" purposes.

VA2DJX Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2004 12:53 Send this review to a friend
nice radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
this is a nice little radio or scanner
you can do everything with this one
If u looking for big power go to the next radio u see.
But if u want something you can carry anywhere
that s it your have the right one..

audio is cool
reception 4.5/5
maybe another antenna is needed.
voila

G4XTA Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2004 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Why did I wait to buy this?!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great piece of kit! Works fully- straight out of the box. After a few days with it, you can start activating the advanced features. But it's a total miracle that you get all this stuff in a radio sized like a matchbox, wow!
User-friendly, intuitive to control, and excellent quality. This rig looks and performs like a STANDARD. I wonder if Yaesu are still using their factory and design team? Shame that Yaesu's mobile 2/70 rigs aren't as easy to use, eh? I am delighted with this bargain! It never leaves my side.

G4REK Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2004 05:02 Send this review to a friend
nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
HAD MY VX1 FOR YONKS,NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
REALLY SMALL, BATT LASTS FOR AGES ON A CHARGE.

KB9VRG Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2004 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Nifty receiver that transmits too!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll prefix my review by stating that I primarily bought the VX-1R as a receiver. I live right next to a busy suburban airport and wanted something to listen to traffic as well as something that could pick up TV channels for listening.

I purchased my unit used when I went to my local amateur electronics dealer and noticed they had a late model one available.

I've been extremely impressed. The receive is excellent for what I am looking to pick up, and all the local repeaters sound as good as they do on my Kenwood TH-K2AT.

Programming is more difficult than my Kenwood, but not cumbersome. My two greatest complaints are that a memory channel can only be "masked" entirely from view, not just locked out for scanning. Additionally, there is no way to delete a memory, and scanning only occurs in your active band.

Using the 12V adaptor in the car and my external antenna received decent reports on the local repeater.

Receive improved significantly when I attached my Comet SMA-24 antenna, and transmit was tolerable as well.

Battery life is excellent, and the charge time is surprisingly short.

YO3FBC Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2004 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Great bug!  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 2 years ago, I owned a VX1R for 6 months... And I was in love with!.
Now, I own two of this little, state-of-art HT's.
One was in perfect shape, the second one looks OK but was spare part... It does nothing at power-up.
After a night of hard working on it, after a hard reset directly on main processor, the second unit was like a new one! Now, I have two at the price of one!
Anyway, It is great for urban-area use. The speaker is not big enough, but, hey! If u want a 20Waudio output, i recomand an audio amplifier! It works great with earphone and, especially in the summer it stays very comfortable in my T-shirt pocket!
About the battery: There is a lot of replacement Li-ion battery available from the GP batteries. You just have to open the original plastic case wich contains the battery cell AND the charging unit... (this one is for the guy who want to charge outside the radio the cell...). I make an external charger from the supplied wallcharger and a board of plexi. The whole charging unit is inside the cell, u just have to make some sort of current limiter , around 600mA to prevent the overheat of the charging unit.
I give a 4.5 for the incovenient use of the 3.5 mm multifunction plug. If it was a 2.5 plug, it was suitable to use a Motorola handsfree...
I have a lot of portables in a lot of years: Icom, Kenwood, Motorola, Alinco and I swap them a lot. These two little bugs are here to stay!!!

VE4KMF Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2003 03:47 Send this review to a friend
I LOVE IT !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently aquired my VX-1R, and i must say it is smaller than i expected. When i took it out of the box, i thought there is no way this thing is gonna do very much. I WAS WRONG Looks can be deceiving!!
I have the programmimg software and cable that came with my FT-50, so programming it was a breeze. As soon as i took it from the box and turned it on, i was able to figure out most of the radio and menu functions without looking at the manual (which i never do until i get stumped he he)I was very surprised when i switched to FM broadcast and my local radio stations came booming in! I wanted a compact handheld that i can carry mainly just to monitor, but much to my surprise i can carry on a QSO on all 4 of my local repeaters with no problems whatsoever on 500mw. This thing just doesn't stop amazing me.
Honestly.....i have not touched my FT-50 since i aquired the VX-1, with the exception of testing the VX-1.
I am now in the market for another, although i may have to buy another used one, because they have not been available in Canada for the past few months :(
I still like my FT-50 and won't ever get rid of it (need atleast one 5 watt handie....just in case)But i love the VX-1 and i'm sure it will see far more use than the FT-50.

My opinion, if you see one around real cheap, and don't mind having only half watt to play with, grab one, i have a feeling they are being discontinued.

P.S only con i can find about the VX-1:
Like most others have stated, the speaker is really tinny. But i can deal with that, nothing a speaker mic can't fix!!

KI4AOB Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2003 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Great First Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first rig and is great! I would suggest it to both new and experianced hams. Do not buy it if you live far away from the repeater you wish to use or have a bad location. You need a seperate AM broadcast antenna if you want to you that feature. The ACT2 band has a lot to listen to on. Very portable and smaller than the pictures make you think. Only about 2" to 3" tall w/o antenna. About 5" w/ antenna. You must know the frequency for the TV audio but most end in .750. Requires settings change for packet use (see manual). Supports DTMF tones dispite lack of keypad! Can pick up FRS signals on the UHAM band if you set step to 12.5 and tune above ham band to correct frequency.

ZZ2EAH Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2003 03:44 Send this review to a friend
Still surprising me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This li'l rig still surprise me. Recently in a travel, I was able to hit the repeater 60 miles out with 0.5 W, using a 5/8 wl antenna!! Full featured, nice audio quality, FAST scanning!

The cons I would set: odd antenna connector (that SMA connector gave me a headache), the receiver folds on a very high RF activity area.

Despite these, I consider myself a VERY satisfied VX1 customer.

KG6BRG Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2003 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Keeping in mind what it is and it's size, I think this little radio is a fantastic deal. I paid $129.00 about 14 months ago. I've had great battery life and not one problem as of yet. No, it's not the best HT around, but it just might be one of the best mico HT's around. The RX audio isn't perfect but look at the size of the speaker,in that light I think the audio is darn good. I paired it up with an MFJ ear bud / mic combo. Works great and you can hear the audio in the car even with the window down. Makes it quite stealthy that way. I think anyone in the market for a little HT will find this just the ticket. 73's