Reviews Categories | Microphones | Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone
Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Unidirectional dynamic vocal/instrument microphone
More info: http://www.audio-technica.com/guide/line/atr/ATR30.html

You can write your own review of the Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone.

K5RWD Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2016 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Superb in all Areas!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This microphone is fantastic!

I started using this microphone a few years ago just to see what it would sound like on my gear, and boy what a surprise I received. I have a good size mic locker with many good microphones (SM7B, AT4035, RE410, RE420,Mojave MA-002), but the ATR-30 seems to be magic when it comes to external microphones. I have now been using this gem for a long time, and will continue to use if for my HF audio needs. It consistently beats out all of the mics I have tried on it. It's proximity effect is awesome, and has the perfect frequency response range for HF rigs. Do yourself a favor, if you can find one get it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

K5RWD

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2015 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the Audio-Technica ATR-30 for almost 3 years with my Kenwood TS-590S. I consistently get great unsolicited audio reports and couldn't be happier with probably the best $30 investment I've ever made in Ham Radio equipment.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Good Tool for the Job  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ATR-30 microphone provides good, clear and punchy ham radio audio. It should require no equalization, and sounds good right out of the box. SSB uses very little speech frequency audio bandwidth, about 2800 Hz, so virtually any good quality microphone will sound good on pretty much any transceiver. Practically any microphone will be flat and linear across this frequency range. And so is the AudioTechnica ATR-30 - it fits this bill just fine.

This is a good, high-quality, inexpensive, well-built microphone for the task. I really doubt anybody needs any better microphone or that anybody's transceiver will really sound any better with a better, more costly microphone.

James / K8JHR /

EI2HPB Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2012 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Best 11 bucks worth ever!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked this up on ebay for 11 bucks!! Compared to all my other mics this one is head & shoulders above in terms of consistantly good audio reports... rich and full sounding, needs very little EQ to sound amazing with any radio.. tried it on Kenwood, Icom & Yaesu and it works great with them all... I currently have it hooked up to my old FT990 and I am told the audio is BBC quality all the time... what more could you ask from mic... cost 11 bucks but sounds like something much more expensive!

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Stunningly Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Waited a while to review this, as I wanted to try it on my 950SDX and my Flex 5000.
It's an absolutely amazing microphone for $30. People tell me it sounds at least as good as my Heil mics, and it gets even better when you close-talk it.
I've bought three more of these, and my Heils will be up for sale shortly!

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2011 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I liked this mic so much (see review below) that like another reviewer I bought 2 more! One for my TS-130SE, and one for a spare since they are discontinued and getting harder to find. I am still getting unsolicited reports of great sounding TX audio on both radios, and being asked what mic I am using. My MC-50 sits unused. I am very pleased with these mics! They even look good on the shack desk. If you have a chance to get one, don't hesitate!

HC2S Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2010 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent microphone, I sold my PR-781 that actually is also an excellent mic, but thinking in money for value the ATR30 won by far.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2010 11:03 Send this review to a friend
$25  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used a Heil GM-5 with a variety of radios for quite some time. For the last 10 months the GM-5 was used in conjunction with a W2IHY eight band equalizer/EQ Plus driving a Yaesu FT-950. On the air audio reports have been great. Leaving audio settings the same I replaced the GM-5 with the ATR30. Direct A/B on air comparisons between the two microphones indicate that both sound great, but that the ATR30 sounds more "dynamic" and has "richer" audio.

I can highly recommend the ATR30 to anyone who looking for a quality, great performing, inexpensive microphone.

W4RL Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2010 19:19 Send this review to a friend
One fantastic buy of a microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
After purchasing one, I liked it so much using it with my IC-756 Pro 3 that I ordered two more. One to use with my IC-7000, and one for a spare. I do believe this is the new version D-104 for today's modern day radios. And as most all of us know how the D-104 is still holding its own to this day. Sometimes I wonder if the audio engineer who designed this microphone was a fellow ham radio operator. I'd like to think so.

W7WX Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2010 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really struggled finding a mic & transceiver combo that sounded reasonably good with my voice. I wasn't after studio quality but just reasonably good. I saw the reviews on eham for this mic and for the price just had to try one. I picked mine up at BestBuy for $25 (+/-). By itself it worked well, but still lacked some punch with my voice (with/without the processor). I combined mine with a W2IHY EQ/noisegate and hands down that was the ticket for me! I now get regular very good (to great) unsolicited audio reports regularly. Most are pretty surprised at what I'm running, too.

For those who find themselves struggling like I did, this mic and W2IYH EQ is a terrific combo' to consider. At the end of the day, it still is cheaper than many of just the mics out there and can be used with virtually any rig.

One thing I had issue with (although not bad) was RF getting into the factory cable that's provided with this mic when running the amp (just a tad). I threw on a couple of ferrite beads and eventually just changed to the Heil cable which solved that problem completely. I think the factory cable isn't as well shielded, but still works okay with a couple of ferrite beads.

73's