Reviews Categories | Microphones | Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone
Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Unidirectional dynamic vocal/instrument microphone

You can write your own review of the Audio-Technica ATR30 Microphone.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2009 10:06 Send this review to a friend
ATR-30 Great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As all others I was a long time user of the PR-40,nothing wrong with it except that is over 300 bucks,so a friend of mine told me to try this Audio Tecnica mic because he tried and it did worked better than everything else he had,so I gave it a thought and oh well even if don't work better than my PR-40 I was going to lose just few bucks and I find it at for only $22.50 so it arrived and because the rear XLR connector is wired the same as the PR-40 it was an easy swap,when I heard my self on the ProIII monitor I almost fell off the chair,there was no difference at all with the PR-40,same lows,same mids and even better highs,wow I said,how come a "cheap" mic sounds so good,then I tried it on my Elecraft K3 and wow it made it sounds terrific as well.Now I get also a yaesu FT-2000 and guess what,it sounds super now with this ATR-30,oh well,there is no need to say that my 3 years old PR-40 is gone to another home,I sold it for 200 bucks and I don't think I will spend again what I did in a mic like the PR-40.Now I ordered another ATR-30 from the same vendor to have one on each radio,its very easy to equalize the mic with the radios builtin EQ,it sounds very natural and the lows even close talking don't distord your audio,great good looking mic and also very afordable,after all that's what all want in these tough times,right?
Great product.
Lake Worth,FL
SV2BWM Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2008 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Sounds good...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Low-priced, dynamic microphone good for ESSB and heavy-duty constructed. You don't have to worry about background noises, just speak closer to the microphone than the studio condenser you have...
KC2FTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2008 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Up !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was gonna shell out mucho-dinero for one of the 'other' studio mics, but I figured I'd give the ATR30 a shot on the advise from a fellow ham. I paid less than $30 for it new at out of New York City. Currently, I'm running the mic through a W2IHY 8-band equalizer and toggling it between my 756PRO and my 706MKIIG rigs. Well... I've had nothing but unsolicited "Excellent audio" compliments on HF, and "You sound like a radio station" or "The best audio on VHF FM that I've ever heard." And yes, I've received great reports without the EQ as well. But if you do happen to have an EQ, this mic REALLY shines!
NA1A Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2008 18:52 Send this review to a friend
The One and Only  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up on my last review back in 2004. Until this day, I'm still using the ATR-30 mic. I did have several other mics since 2004, including the Heil PR-40, Electrovoice RE-20 and many other expensive mics but always came back to the ATR-30.
One other mic worth mentioning that I've found thus far which I like better than the ATR-30 is the AT-2010. This mic is also manufactured by Audio Technica (see my review here on eHam about this mic). I only like it better because it is a hand-held condensor mic, thus has just a tad better lows and crispier highs. Other than that, the ATR-30 is still very hard to beat.
N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2008 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Audio-Technica, WOW!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading the reviews I decided to check this thing out for myself. I've owned and used many of the Heil michrophones from the HMI, handi microphones, and GM5 on up to the PR-40. This microphone is very comparable with the GM-5 mic. and the HC-5 wide range element directly into my Icom 756 pro III. In some respect it's also very close to the PR-20 except the PR-20 is smoother around the high end edges, but still gives it a good run for its money.

If you plan to use EQ gear this microhpne really shines. I get glowing reports with just the W2IHY 8 Band EQ with out my EQ Plus. You can not tell to much difference between the ATR-30 and anything up to the PR-781. It will even give the PR-40 a decent run for its money.

I'm very happy with the ATR-30 using my W2IHY EQ's and don't need to spend rediculious money on anything else. If I were to run any microphone of same caliber straight into my Icom 756pro III it would be the Heil PR-20. Really awesome sound!

KA2ZNI Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 22:21 Send this review to a friend
One tremendous Microphone!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using the Microphone above I can tell you with all the solicited audio reports nothing compares to date! The thing is tremendously clear and articulate with a broad range of sound being reproduced!

I paid $22.99 for this Mic and it will surpass the Heil PR40, I cannot believe that you can find a Mic of this quality for this price, It's almost a crime!

Get yourself one today, and if matched properly to your rig and everything is set-up correctly, be prepared to sit back and enjoy hours of delightful comments on your audio.

It is terrific!

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2008 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Superb value Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Flexradio SDR-1000 Software Defined Radio with the Delta 44 soundcard so this Mic plugs straight into the soundcard breakout box and needs no outboard audio gear the mic works a treat what a fantastic mic for the money
rgds Ian
K2VI Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2008 17:51 Send this review to a friend
awsome audio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wish i would have known about this mic before i plunked down 280.00 for a pr-40.This mic sounds as good as the pr-40 but at j&r music world i paid 32.00 with shipping included.I bought another and have a backup mic.i highly recomend this mic if your looking for hi-fi clean audio.
WD2I Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2007 19:31 Send this review to a friend
SUPURB FOR THE MONEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used both condenser and dynamic microphones costing $300 or better, and the Audio Technica ATR30 mike for ham radio cannot be beat. I purchased mine from J&R Music in New York for $22.00, what a find for price and quality, as well as Audio reproduction. Again it out performs microphones that are substantially more expensive.
K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2007 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Sold my PR-40  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like Heil mics, and I hated to sell the PR-40, but the Audio-Technica ATR-30 cabled into the rear panel mic jack on my FT-2000 is really sweet! For my voice, the PR-40 had just too much low end. The ATR-30 with a RadioShack foam windscreen is just right for me. Now do the math: +/-$40 for the ATR-30 (check or $300+ for the PR-40; easy choice for me. The Audio-Technica product is very well built and attractive; no compromises that I can see or hear.

73 de K6SBA