Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna
Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $79.99
Description: Triband, 6, 2 & 70cm mobile antenna.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna.

KC9NCS Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2015 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna 2m/70cm/6m  Time owned: more than 12 months
Replaced a Larson 150 that I used with an ICOM V8000 with a Comet SB15 and a Kenwood TM-732 and an RCI-5054DX.

Very happy with the performance of the antenna on 2m/440 with the TM-732A. Performance is "acceptable" on 6m with the RCI-5054DX. Compared the 6m performance of the SB15 to a 6m Hamstick and didn't really notice much of a difference.

Not sure if that's saying something positive about the SB15 or something negative about the 6m Hamstick. Either way, that's all I had to compare it to. Either way, it works on the local 6m nets here around the Chicago area.

W7PVA Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2013 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought theSB-15 as a replacement for my UHV4. The antenna seemed to be an improvement on 2M and 70CM. The antenna was mounted on a FJ Cruiser on the hinge mount of the rear door. It did not seem directional and TX was as good as RX, if I could hear it I could talk to it.
The only bad thing was I could not adjust SWR on 6M.
Would I buy another? You bet!
The product is very well made. I forgot to tilt it down for garage parking a time or two and the thump reminded me. The antenna also took some abuse while in brush and wooded areas. It held up very well. The only reason I took it off my FJ was I repaired my UHV4!

W6QE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2011 08:57 Send this review to a friend
VERY good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think this antenna is great! Those folks that rate it poorly because they have to clean it every now and then, or that it bangs on tree's, or they have to collapse it for a parking garage...that isn't the antenna's fault.
It is a bit pricey, but you know what? You get what you pay for. If you're looking for a cheap hobby, amateur radio isn't for you. Try bird watching.
If you have an application for a 6m, 2m & 70 cm antenna, this one is fantastic.

RAINS Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2011 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Good solid antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I mostly use mine on VHF but man it works great. I've made contact with the space station with it! I've also cleanly talked into a Canadian FM repeater from SE of Eugene Oregon. That's 386+ miles away! With only 50 watts! Sure there was ducting but still this is a great antenna. It's rather stiff so your signal tends not too flutter much when mobile. The only issues are length and stiffness.Meaning it's not such a great antenna in the brush. A 5/8th whip is better of just fold it over. Still it is a tough antenna. I plan to keep it around for a long time.

KG6BIW Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't hardly ask for more!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna for about 9 years now. It has been mounted on the roof rack of my Jeep Cherokee and has seen over 100K miles of on and off road. Have checked it periodically to make sure the set screws remain tight; never had them come loose. It has struck many tree branches, one which broke the mount but the antenna held up perfectly.

Performance is great...but, to be honest, I don't have much to compare it to. On 2 meters it seems to get out better than most. I many times loose the QSO before the other end, in spite of where it is mounted. I only use the UHF for x-band repeat with my HT. I have rarely used it on 6 meters.

It has been outdoors in everything but snow in all those years, including 100 deg plus for at about two months out of the year. The traps are looking rather weathered and I wonder just how brittle they may be getting but they take the ocasional stress of dragging the top element, which has a bit of a kink in it now, under overhangs with no problem. Always seem to forget to fold that thing over.

One of few items I can smile about spending the money on.

God bless
jb
kg6biw

AC0Y Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2008 16:07 Send this review to a friend
SB15 over time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a SB15 now for about 8 to 9 years. I checked it with my meter the other day and found that it had 2.8:1 on 2 meters and even worse on 70 cm. I have had to replace both upper most coils in the past due to the fact that they are made to break instead of "hurting some one". I found that the entire antenna needs to be cleaned up after a while. It became a pretty good antenna again after a few hours of cleaning.

N4CQR Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2008 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this paired up with a FT-8900R in a service truck mounted on the left side of the hood. Performance has been excellent. Mobile for Berea KY to the 146.640 repeater in Adair county 65+ air miles is a common occurence.

KD5XB Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2008 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned one of these for some 6 years now, and I've used it on several 18-wheelers. When on the 18-wheeler, the base is usually 9 feet up, plus or minus a couple of inches. Works well on 2 meters, and 70 cm, but I've only rarely used it on 6 meters, since I have a Hustler setup for 20 meters and the Icom 706 puts 6 meters on the HF connector. I used it a bit on 6 meters today, just listening, and heard several stations in 8-land and 7-land, and even a KH6 signing "Aloha" with somebody. Only complaint so far, is one of the insulators/phasing contraptions has loosened up to the point that the top 2/3 of the antenna is about to be lost! But after 6 years on an 18-wheeler and several hundred-thousand miles, in hot, cold, snow, sleet, high winds, and everything else, I'd say this is one tough antenna that works well on our three most popular VHF/UHF bands.

7 3

N1IIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2007 07:35 Send this review to a friend
An Awesome Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had it on top of two successive Yukons for 8 or so years and 100k miles and it has been used with an IC-706 MKIIG and a Yaesu FT-8900 with excellent performance. I have has this antenna mounted with a magnet and also a drilled permanent mount. It has a UHF connector.
I started with an older spring loaded version of the fold over, which one of the tabs broke. After 6 years and being knocked over who knows how many times, and minding the trees and bridges that were hit, that is good longevity in my opinion even with such a poor fold-over design. I did replace the base coil (the new version and a much better design) for a reasonable price from Comet.
I haven't had any problems with the setscrews or hearing the NWS transmitters.
I knew this antenna was tall when I bought it, I don't know how anyone can fault it for being tall unless you have problems with reality.

KR6AUL Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2007 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna, parts are bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The only problem is that is is really tall and living in Los Angeles, there are lots of parking garages. I now have it mounted outside the window on a air conditioner and it works.