Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna
Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $79.99
Description: Triband, 6, 2 & 70cm mobile antenna.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet SB15 Triband Mobile Antenna.

ZL2UFI Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2005 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna - but a tall one!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned this just over five months, but only had it on the vehicle for 3.

I have it mounted on the rear driver's side guard, of my Ford Mondeo. At this point, the antenna is over 3 metres tall; the feed point is about 1.5 metres above the ground. The antenna itself is about 1.5 metres tall.

This makes for a very tall antenna!!!

It works very well on both 2M and 70CM, and much better than the Diamond 770 I have. It pulls in signals from all over the place, and is at least 2-3 S points better than the Diamond. I haven't tried it on 6M's, apart to test the SWR which is 1:1.1.

The only issue is the size, which is a real pain when using underground car parks, or the garage or car port at home, then you need to get out and fold the antenna down.

A great antenna and I would buy another if needed.

W1CAR Rating: 3/5 Dec 31, 2003 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Decent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is great for what it's rated for. Six, two, and 440mhz. However, I'm used to monitoring the 162mhz band for NWS WX transmitters, and the antenna is so narrowbanded that I cannot hear them at all.

N1KET Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2003 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This puppy is awesome on 6 meters for mobile use. 2m and 70cm work great as well.

PHINEAS Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2003 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works EXTREMELY well for a shortened triband antenna.

Phineas
K0KMA

KU4VQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2002 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great with the Yaesu FT-8900 Quad Bander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Installed SB-14 due to height issues. Use this and a Larsen NMO-27 to provide mobile use with the Yaesu FT-8900 Quad Bander, Antenna works as well as the SB-15 on 144 and 440 and just a little down from the larger SB-15 on 50 mhz FM. Have made many local and a few skip contacts on 50 mhz. Would recommend either antenna if you can not use a single band mobile antenna.

George KU4VQ

KG4GSC Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2002 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Good performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up one at Shelby (NC) after having problems with my current 2/440 mobile antenna. Accidently got the UHF connector model (after picking out the NMO model...got swapped during the dealing) so waited until a visit to the TenTec store (great guys!) to get a proper trunklip mount. I run QRP SSB on 6m and have an old Alinco for 2/440 FM. Antenna works well... I use several 2M repeaters which I access up to 45 mi away during the morning commute. I can drop power down to 5W instead of 50W and still get full quieting. Only had a few 6M QSOs but the antenna works as well as the mag mount I normally use (company car...no halo mount possible). SWR on all freqs good. Construction is good....I've heard stories of bad experiences with other Comet antennas, this one seems to be as good as the Diamond (which was stolen). I ended up using some LocTite on the setscrews to keep one from getting loose. Only fault, and I've had that happen on other antennas. No problems with the foldover (newer style w/ferrule). So far, so good after 10K miles.

KB9YUR Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2001 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Effective mobile antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna was purchased a few months. Until this past weekend, it was used on the 2nd
floor indoors for mostly 2 meter FM/SSB (Until I get a base station antenna running).
During this time, I'm able to use all the local repeaters on 2 & 70cm with some as far
away as 75 miles. I'm using it with an Icom 706MKIIG and a mag mount.
This past weekend, I finally had a chance to take a road trip to Bridgman, MI. During my
stay there to visit the in-laws, I was parked on a hill about 150ft above lake Michigan water.
On Sat evening (5-26-01), the 6 meter band became very active and I was able to
work several states (NJ, KS, GA, PA, NY and CA) using SSB between 50.125 & 50.250.
The antenna is well constructed and should handle up to 120 watts with no problems.
This one is definately a keeper!
George KB9YUR