Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Ten-Tec TT526 6m+2m allmode IF DSP Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec TT526 6m+2m allmode IF DSP
Ten-Tec TT526  6m+2m allmode IF DSP Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $695.00
Description: 6m and 2m allmode IF DSP Radio
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec TT526 6m+2m allmode IF DSP.

W3ATT Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2016 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this little gem (along with a TT937 power supply, and mirage 6 and 2 meter amps) in a great deal. I have to say that this radio amazes me. I run an Orion (with no 6m) so I was trying to convince myself to get an Omni 7 just for the 6m capability. Then I found this 6n2 in great condition. I've been working 6m weak sig in these poor conditions and the radio hears extremely well. The CW QSK is just as sweet as any other Ten Tec! and the sidetone is wonderful pure sine wave. Absolutely NO clicking relays in the radio (completely quiet.) Unsolicited audio reports of "broadcast quality" on 2 meter repeaters using the simple stock hand mic. This thing is clear! Read the manual on setting the FM deviation. "To set proper FM deviation, adjust the mic gain control just until the meter begins to show an indication of power output on voice peaks." This gives incredible audio quality from the 6n2. Separate antenna outs and amp keys make switching bands instantaneous. Transverter out for possible VHF to UHF use. Memories, scan, and simple use make this radio a joy to have. If you're a Ten Tec fan, this is a must have for your collection.

KB1GMX Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Not leaving ever...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for a decade at least and its proven to be rugged and meets my expectations and needs.

On 6M the only thing the TT Eagle has I find helpful is the true noise blanker. Both being DSP radios and very good. However the DSP noise reduction does well very well.

I use it 90% SSB, digi and CW but for FM it serves as well as my FT1900R in the mobile and the 6n2 sounds better and fist on the desk nicer. It also allows me to run 6M FM.

The only yabut is 20W. However, it does 20W, no almost! After the decade plus of wrong antenna,
open cables, shorted cables its still doing it without fail. For some things I like to do thats fine (portable VHF Lowpower/QRP). For the reason I built two amps one for 6 and another for 2. The 20W output is adequate to drive any amp to the KW range if needed. One kudo here is the output does not have huge power spike on transmit that can be deadly to some amps.

Receiver, I have several to pick from and if the 6n2 can't hear it its time for more antenna. one hot receiver. For a VHF radio the overload capability is very good. I've used it on the local hill (commercial radio farms galore) without intermod issues.

At field day I can show a new user in minutes how to drive the radio effectively.

Th rear panel uses large and easy to get RCA connector not some mini-DIN horror for things like KEY or audio in and out.

I have a FT817 radio and its a good radio but not better for 6 and 2M. The 6n2 is far easier to use and the human interface is good, 817 not easy to master the menus.

If TenTec did it again... the add this list.
CW keyer
AM even if only 5W.
CAT interface.
TCXO

Summary, it stays here. If I wanted a FM radio with all the bells and extra whistles I'd get one
for that. As is this one has enough. For All the other modes its been a solid trouper and taken me through all the VHF QSO party contests
and as many field days. I don't consider the 20W a significant limitation as that more than enough for SSB when a good antenna. With outboard amps I'm not locked to what some radio vendor calls enough power. In the end if it was not a good radio it would have been gone and there are few radios that do 6 and 2 meters well enough and fewer still without layers of menus.

KB9TMP Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Kicking Myself For Selling  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ten years ago I wrote this as a review of the Ten-Tec 526.

"Knowing what I know now I'm not sure I'd buy it again. It's a good radio don't get me wrong, but when they say it's good enough to be your only rig that's true "just" good enough. The 526 is a sideband radio that also does FM, not the other way around. If your going to use it for mostly ssb it works great. If your going to use it for mostly FM it's just OK. It has a rather long squelch tail on FM. The receive is VERY sensative, so if you get someone very loud on FM it clips the sound very badly, but you'll hear people that others won't hear on the other hand. The 35 IF-DSP bandwith filters work very well, and this is without a doubt the simplest rig I've ever programed the memory channels on. With only 20 watts output you WILL need a power amp for each band to do any serious talking. For $180 more you can get an IC 706MkIIG with 70cm, 2m, 6m, and all of HF. Now you'll just have to decide what it is you want, for me I kinda wonder what if I'd waited and saved up a little more money. But the bottom line is the Ten Tec 526 is a good radio and well worth the price if you want 6m & 2m ssb with FM as an extra."

Well ten years later I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of that radio. I have learned so much over the years and now realize that the 6N2 was a great radio that had a so-so operator. After writing that original review I contacted Ten-Tec and found out there was a FM weak signal mode. It could be turned on and off by pressing func then scan. It did stop the clipping audio on strong signals. It's a darn shame I had to call the factory to find that out instead of it being in the operators manual. I miss the 6N2 so bad I have a Yaesu FT-817ND with extras, that I would trade even for one right now. BTW I'm now saving up and eying either the Eagle or the Omni VII as my next HF/6m radio. What I will say for sure is the next Ten-Tec radio I own will leave me when it's pried out of my cold dead fingers!!!

NR7N Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired one of these in great shape. It gives me 6M SSB and 2M FM in one small package. The DSP, while a bit dated for 2012, works great and is easy to use. It puts out 20W as specified. Despite other reviews saying this radio is deaf I found just the opposite. I measured the sensitivity with a very good calibrated signal generator and found that on both 6M and 2M a 1 uv signal is S3 and it hears down to 0.2 uv. 50 uv is almost exactly S9 on both bands. They either had broken rigs or something else was wrong. Audio repots have been excellent. Multiband and miultimode coverage in a small form factor

WD9CMD Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2010 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent US made Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Recently purchased and used a TT 526 as well as a TT Scout 555 while on vacation in the Bahamas. Using a TT 715 processor, and a favorable 6m opening, I was able to work most any station in the US from coast to coast. All this with 20w and a small portable antenna. Granted the 715 made it more like a 100w rig, it performed flawlessly. TR audio was reported fb by all, and most were unsolicited.

The small hand mic that comes with these rigs may not be best for fixed use. I tried both the stock hand mic and a TT 705 and the 705 is by far superior in tr audio. The only issue you may find with these radios, is the meter. Seems to want to stick at times. After calling TT I understand this was a common complaint. I do want to thank Gary and Larry at Ten Tec for helping me get the two rigs as well as the 715/705 ready for my trip. The 6n2 is now back home and living the good life.

I find the egronomics of the radio to be excellent. The dsp filter is a jewel to use, as well as the other control settings. Very intuitive to use. Receive audio is pleasant to listen. ALC is easily set by lifting the cover and setting the alc to exactly 20w with a known good wattmeter. It will go higher, but you must be carefull since the onboard meter only goes to 25w. Best to keep it at the spec. All board components are extremely well laid out. All surface mount technology, so any repairs will take a delicate touch. Best to send to factory if a problem.

For those wishing to own a dedicated 6m/2m all mode radio, this is an excellent AMERICAN MADE product.

W8IDL Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2010 06:47 Send this review to a friend
A Really Great & Unique Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Though I had been concerned about reports of poor receiver performance, I bought a Ten-Tec model 526 just because I really wanted a 6n2 meter transceiver in a small size. After getting it installed with a small supply on hand, my worst fears came true: geez - the receiver was almost dead! I took it over to the test bench, and both the 6 and 2 meter receivers are HOT: well under half a microvolt for full quieting on SSB. To make a long story short: the old switching supply was very RF noisy and was desensing the receiver! With a different (good) supply, the Ten-Tec 6N2 has exceeded what I though possible: this is one GREAT radio!

I will enthusiastically agree with all that NC2F says in his review: it could not be better stated. This little radio is a dream come true. It does everything I need on both 6 meters and 2 meters, and is a real "keeper."

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2009 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Remains my favorite 2M/6M all mode rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
No longer in production, and that's a shame really. A victim of the times maybe. I've owned two of these since their debut some 8+ years ago (bought one new and later regretfully sold it when I remodeled my shack). I was fortunate enough to just recently find another ham (through a reflector solicitation) who was willing to part with his TT526 "6N2" 'station' (transceiver, TT937 PS, TT external watt meter and original incidentals) for a really good deal. While I do use 2M and 6M for accessing local repeaters, I mostly enjoy using 2M (& 6M) SSB and CW.

Here are some of the highlights of the specs for quick reference:

-SSB, CW, and FM transceiver operation on both 6 and 2 meters. Extended receive range from 136-174 MHz on 2 meters.

-35 built-in IF-DSP bandwidth filters.

-100 memories; repeater splits, CTCSS tone encode are all built-in. Memories retain mode, tone and split information.

-Scanning (memories) w/ Lock out option.

-Two SO-239 antenna connectors, one per band, allows you to leave antennas for both 6 and 2 meters connected.

-Separate amp keying lines allow connection of separate linear amplifiers for each band.

-1 thru 20 watts output power, front panel knob adjustable. Front panel meter does double duty as S-meter on receive and power output meter on transmit.

-Separate low level drive connection from 144 MHz for UHF and microwave transverters.

The '6N2' for my expectations is the perfect rig at the right size. Is it perfect for everyone or have all the the bells and whistles? No. But I've owned other All-mode 2M radios like the iCom 271H and such, but didn't get the satisfaction I did with the 526. The 526 at under 5 lbs (I think 4.5 lbs is close to the actual spec.) makes it a light and smaller footprint too. I don't think many will agrue with it's quality audio (rx/tx) and typical built like a tank chassis. Speaking of, the receiver in the 526 when I had them side-by-side outperformed my iCom 746's receiver on both 2 and 6 meters. The iCom 271's receiver was more on par with the 526 (all using the same antenna of course), but the audio quality didn't match the 526. What the 526 doesn't have is 100W of rf power, but that never caused me any concern or problems. Some say 20W is not enough, and with the powerful receiver in this unit, that indeed could cause the scenario of you can hear them but they cannot hear you. That hasn't been enough of an issue for me to seek a 2M amp, but you can go that route if it's a make/break choice for your use.

What the 526 is however, is a very straight forward transceiver that is easy to operate even and appeals to those who don't like radios that have hundreds of functions buried in a deep sea of menus. Mate it to a quality antenna set-up properly and you have a no excuses rig in function or performance.

The satisfaction of the Ten Tec 526 for operation, performance and pure radio character is why I sought to keep one in my shack by seeking another. It's size is just right too. And with the 6M sunspot openings occurring, it's a great time to have one on the air.

Antennas I use with this:

-2M & 6M Arrow J poles.
-2M Cushcraft Beam
-6M M2 Beam
-Dawia Antenna switch to control both 6M and 2M from their respective connectors from the back of the 526.

I also own an TT 516 Argonaut V which is the perfect match for the 526 '6N2', and other under rated/under the radar rig from Ten Tec. If you have the chance to buy one of these should a current owner actually be willing to part with theirs, I would act before the seller comes to their senses and reconsiders and keeps it ;-) . Seriously though, I would like to see Ten Tec one day offer another 2M one day and even venture into the larger VHF/UHF segment. Especially now since they're focus is on SSB according to the latest ads.

One thing is certain, I won't make the mistake again of parting with my latest '6N2' as I find it is more than satisfactory and offers a great deal of pride in ownership of quality.

K5RIX Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2008 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Low-price all mode  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 526 is just fine. It never cost a K$, and the CW is perfect. I despise talking into a mic. Lotsa filters. GREAT receive audio. You can work satellites. Otherwise, buy a surplus FAA radar.

VE6AAO Rating: 3/5 Dec 22, 2007 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Qualified OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ten Tec is my first choice in amateur radio, so I thought I'd like the 526 model. Somehow it doesn't quite meet expectations. Purchased on ebay, arrived in great looking condition, but audio not always good. Sent to Ten Tec for tune up, which found basically nothing wrong, but in comparrison, the 526 is not the high quality product Ten Tec normally delivers. Ten Tec service is still as good as it gets.

N3TEE Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2007 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best 6m & 2m radio I ever owned!! The performance is better then the Icom-706MII2G. It receiver is hot. I can hear weaker signals easier then on the Icom-706MIIG. The DSP- IF filers are far more superior the Icom crystal filters, and the QSK operation is better then Icom's relay chattering. It only puts out 20 watts but if you need more get a amplifier.
I have had this Ten-Tec Gem since July 2005 and have had no problems with it.

It is out of production now. When they are sold on ebay, they go for more that the new price. They sold for $695 at then ten-tec on ebay I have seen them go for $800+