Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron SS-25M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron SS-25M
Astron SS-25M Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $131.60
Description: 25 Amp Switching Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Astron SS-25M.

KD5OM Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2013 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Hash on 40m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I actually don't owned this PS. It's on loan because the piece of crap-o-la MFJ supply lost it's filter caps. The only complaint I have is the RF hash on 40m abt 7.260~7.270. The noise moves around. I added a couple of ferrite core chokes to the output leads and that took care of abt half of the noise. You'd thunk a fine company like Astron would spend another 2 bits to add a little filtering. But, it is a switching PS and show me a switching PS that has no hash.

KI6JPE Rating: 3/5 Apr 10, 2011 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Small & Light / some noise from the fan on HF  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have this power supply in my shack. Being an apartment-dwelling ham I have limited space to construct my shack, so all the radio gear is on my desk in close proxmimity.

First the plusses, mainly because I've used another power supply manufacturer before (tripplite) and been very dissatisfied with rf hash from it etc. I've always, almost exclusively (save for the one other brand previously mentioned), gone with Astron.

It's small - doesn't take up much space and in my shack that's critical. Powers my gear very well. I've never felt the case become overly warm. Great performer.

Cons:

Fan noise part A. The fan on the back is so noisy that I'm probably going to retrofit it with a quieter fan, if I can find one. I'm not concerned about voiding warranty.

Fan noise part B. While some say the PS doesn't throw off any RF noise on HF - this is true while it's sitting there without the fan running, however when the fan is on (as it periodically cycles) I have heard noise on 80M that I've determined is coming from the fan itself. Looking to see if I can shield it.

If I can't resolve the noise issues (A & B) I will be replacing it with a non-switching Astron 30 or 35 amp PS and then selling the SS-25M - lightly used.

W8MPX Rating: 3/5 Jan 26, 2011 19:09 Send this review to a friend
no plobem but noisy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
IF YOU ARE USING THIS UNIT IN YOUR SHACK FOR 2 METERS OR HF AND YOU HAVE A ANTENNA IN THE SHACK IT GOING TO SHUT OFF, IF YOUR ANTENNA DOES NOT HAVE A GROUND IT GOING TO SHUT OFF YOUR RADIO IS GOING TO GET HOT. YOU NEED TO PUT THE ANTENNA LIKE 10 FEET OR MORE AND A GOOD GROUND I READ SOME REVIEW SAYING ABOUT A ANTENNA IN THE SHACK BIG MISTAKE. OK I RUN A KENWOOD V271 60 WATTS 24/7 NO PROBLEM, MY DON'T TURN OFF SOME RF AND THE FAN IS NOISY. I GOING TO SELL IT AND BUY A ASTRON VS-70M. SO WORKS GOOD BUT NOISY

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2009 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Like a rock!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I work this tiny supply hard -- TOO HARD! So I recently decided to replace it with an MFJ-4245mv... What a mistake that was!! The MFJ is junk in comparison. This little jewel keeps me running while I'm pushing it's current limit to the redline. Read my review regarding the MFJ supply. I do need a bigger supply -- but you can bet yer bippy it will be another Astron!

KF9OK Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Just works, year after year...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I haven't used this on an HF rig, as my HF has a built in power supply, but it's sitting about 6" from the HF rig providing power for the 2m/440 radio, scanner, VHF commercial rig, and whatever else happens to be hooked up at the time. And it's worked reliably for 7-10 years, I can't even remember when I got it. During that time it ran for almost a year as a battery charger/maintainer hooked up to several auto and tractor batteries.

My only complaint is the noise from the fan, which will turn on at intervals even with an extremely low load on the supply. For a time my "shack" was in my bedroom area and the fan turning on at night was annoying even though it wasn't especially loud.

I couldn't detect any RF noise from the unit in the HF bands, which I tested extensively after I got it due to concerns over switching power supplies.

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2009 19:05 Send this review to a friend
addendum  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just realised they were talking the M version which has the meters. Mine is blank faced, no meters as I guess I was a cheapskate. Not required but I suppose they would be nice to have.

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2009 19:02 Send this review to a friend
No problem, long use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think I got this when I got my TT Jupiter, so it has been around since 2000-01? in my shack. Ran the Jup. fine with no complaints. Sets there and does it's thing. Fan will come on occasionally, either in TX or RX mode, almost like regardless of load or something. Last year I bought the TT OMNI VII. They suggested that the Astron would not be enough to run the VII and I was fearing that I would have to plunk down Big $$$ for a new supply. But the Astron runs the VII no problems, just sets there quietly and does nothing to draw attention except when the little fan kicks on for a few min. I consider the fan noise a fair tradeoff for the small size and weight. Does not have to go on the floor or out of the way. Not a really loud fan or anything and just runs a few minutes. Big deal.

KD5TVF Rating: 2/5 Sep 27, 2008 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Not reliable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the same RFI problems with the Astron SS-25 as others have posted.

First, it was on 20m. I had the radio stacked on top of the power supply to save space on my desk.

I could TX on 80, 40, 10, and 2 meters without problems. Go to 20 and it would start buzzing and my FT-857 would shut down.

I rearranged my cables, and now the problem is on 2m.

My other power supply (from a different manufacturer), when connected in the same exact configuration (cables) works flawlessly.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2008 05:27 Send this review to a friend
No problems with several units  Time owned: more than 12 months
While I admit, there may be a problem with RFI, I have never experienced it with any of a half dozen various Astron switchers I use ranging from their little SS-18 up to the SS-30M's. When powering my PRO III, the fan comes on for a minute or so about every 4 - 5 minutes and I have never had any switcher interference in the receiver. I have had the SS-18 shut down from over current (my fault), but the others work fine powering any 100 watt rig I've used them with. By the way, the only difference I can see between the SS-25 and the SS-30 is the bigger fan and slightly taller case so, if size is important, and you do more listening than transmitting, the SS-25 will work fine.

WB4TJH Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2008 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Needs to be RF proofed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the 20 amp switching supply without the meters. It works well in the shack, but recently I used it for portable HF operation near an antenna. On 40 meters, I had no trouble, but when I tried to use it on 20 meters, it shut down each time I keyed the mike, obviously getting RF into it. I plan to add some ferrite beads on the AC input leads and on the DC output leads. I hope that will cure the problem. But I think Astron needs to do some serious trouble shooting on this power supply and eliminate the RF problems.