Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron SS-25/M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron SS-25/M
Astron SS-25/M Reviews: 21 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $131.60
Description: 25 Amp Switching Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Astron SS-25/M.

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2009 19:02 Send this review to a friend
No problem, long use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think I got this when I got my TT Jupiter, so it has been around since 2000-01? in my shack. Ran the Jup. fine with no complaints. Sets there and does it's thing. Fan will come on occasionally, either in TX or RX mode, almost like regardless of load or something. Last year I bought the TT OMNI VII. They suggested that the Astron would not be enough to run the VII and I was fearing that I would have to plunk down Big $$$ for a new supply. But the Astron runs the VII no problems, just sets there quietly and does nothing to draw attention except when the little fan kicks on for a few min. I consider the fan noise a fair tradeoff for the small size and weight. Does not have to go on the floor or out of the way. Not a really loud fan or anything and just runs a few minutes. Big deal.

KD5TVF Rating: 2/5 Sep 27, 2008 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Not reliable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the same RFI problems with the Astron SS-25 as others have posted.

First, it was on 20m. I had the radio stacked on top of the power supply to save space on my desk.

I could TX on 80, 40, 10, and 2 meters without problems. Go to 20 and it would start buzzing and my FT-857 would shut down.

I rearranged my cables, and now the problem is on 2m.

My other power supply (from a different manufacturer), when connected in the same exact configuration (cables) works flawlessly.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2008 05:27 Send this review to a friend
No problems with several units  Time owned: more than 12 months
While I admit, there may be a problem with RFI, I have never experienced it with any of a half dozen various Astron switchers I use ranging from their little SS-18 up to the SS-30M's. When powering my PRO III, the fan comes on for a minute or so about every 4 - 5 minutes and I have never had any switcher interference in the receiver. I have had the SS-18 shut down from over current (my fault), but the others work fine powering any 100 watt rig I've used them with. By the way, the only difference I can see between the SS-25 and the SS-30 is the bigger fan and slightly taller case so, if size is important, and you do more listening than transmitting, the SS-25 will work fine.

WB4TJH Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2008 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Needs to be RF proofed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the 20 amp switching supply without the meters. It works well in the shack, but recently I used it for portable HF operation near an antenna. On 40 meters, I had no trouble, but when I tried to use it on 20 meters, it shut down each time I keyed the mike, obviously getting RF into it. I plan to add some ferrite beads on the AC input leads and on the DC output leads. I hope that will cure the problem. But I think Astron needs to do some serious trouble shooting on this power supply and eliminate the RF problems.

N4SJW Rating: 0/5 Jul 26, 2008 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Shuts down on TX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Same problem as below, occassionally the PS shuts down when TX on 2M even on lowest power setting. I have a mag mount antenna on the other side of a metal cabinet. This is a base station for a hospital - simply not acceptible.

VE2FAB Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2008 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Problem with RF on 2m  Time owned: more than 12 months
When TX on 2m, the power supply shutdown until you turn the power switch off then on. Turning the radio off will not reset the power supply.
No problem if you move the antenna far or if you used a dummy load.

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2006 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and Portable: ...and get the meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a SS-25M to go with my Yaesu FT-897D. The SS-25M is rated for 20A continuous and 25A Peak. At a full 100W the Yaesu 897D draws 22A, so the SS-25M is up to par without having to step uo to the slightly larger case of the SS-30/M. The SS-25M is also a nice match to the 897D and both fit nicely into a Pelican case for storage/transport. By using the exteranl supply, it keeps my 897's internal battery compartments free for use with the battery packs.

I have other Astron power supplies as well and they are all top notch supplies. And if you asking yourself if you should spend the few extra dollars for the meters, I say do it. Seeing what is going on with your supplies' voltage and amperage is key to maintaining your expensive radios.

G3VGR Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2004 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the SS-25 vanilla model without the meters which I bought from HRO. It's been in continuous use for about 4 years, living under the desk in a not too well ventilated area. As well as being 100% reliable, it doesn't generate any noise that I can notice either. Astron certainly know how to make power supplies.

K2XH Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2002 13:05 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been in light duty use for a couple of years, the fan used to come on about every 10 minutes weather I was Xmitting or not. I have since moved it to a more vented spot, that seemed to have cured it. Mine also has a lighted power button. Its a good quiet (RF) supply. But the next one I buy will be a rs35.

N7HRR Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2001 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Steady!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really stable little supply. Takes 20Amps pretty easy. Well built inside, but had to adjust trimmer to 13.8v, down from 14.7v when I first recieved it. Also required slight Volt meter adjustment, (easily done by built in trimmer, a plus) Amp meter is right on, by Fluke 87. Rock steady operation once adjusted. Have yet to have the cooling fan come on, so I can't say if it is quiet or not. Positive terminal is now red, and it now has an illuminated power switch. Gave unit a four due to lack of schematic and no illumitation of the meters (I have a thing for well lit meters). Solid supply, would definetly recommend.