Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron SS-25M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron SS-25M
Astron SS-25M Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $131.60
Description: 25 Amp Switching Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Astron SS-25M.

N4SJW Rating: 0/5 Jul 26, 2008 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Shuts down on TX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Same problem as below, occassionally the PS shuts down when TX on 2M even on lowest power setting. I have a mag mount antenna on the other side of a metal cabinet. This is a base station for a hospital - simply not acceptible.

VE2FAB Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2008 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Problem with RF on 2m  Time owned: more than 12 months
When TX on 2m, the power supply shutdown until you turn the power switch off then on. Turning the radio off will not reset the power supply.
No problem if you move the antenna far or if you used a dummy load.

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2006 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and Portable: ...and get the meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a SS-25M to go with my Yaesu FT-897D. The SS-25M is rated for 20A continuous and 25A Peak. At a full 100W the Yaesu 897D draws 22A, so the SS-25M is up to par without having to step uo to the slightly larger case of the SS-30/M. The SS-25M is also a nice match to the 897D and both fit nicely into a Pelican case for storage/transport. By using the exteranl supply, it keeps my 897's internal battery compartments free for use with the battery packs.

I have other Astron power supplies as well and they are all top notch supplies. And if you asking yourself if you should spend the few extra dollars for the meters, I say do it. Seeing what is going on with your supplies' voltage and amperage is key to maintaining your expensive radios.

G3VGR Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2004 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the SS-25 vanilla model without the meters which I bought from HRO. It's been in continuous use for about 4 years, living under the desk in a not too well ventilated area. As well as being 100% reliable, it doesn't generate any noise that I can notice either. Astron certainly know how to make power supplies.

K2XH Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2002 13:05 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been in light duty use for a couple of years, the fan used to come on about every 10 minutes weather I was Xmitting or not. I have since moved it to a more vented spot, that seemed to have cured it. Mine also has a lighted power button. Its a good quiet (RF) supply. But the next one I buy will be a rs35.

KD7DYV Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2001 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Steady!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really stable little supply. Takes 20Amps pretty easy. Well built inside, but had to adjust trimmer to 13.8v, down from 14.7v when I first recieved it. Also required slight Volt meter adjustment, (easily done by built in trimmer, a plus) Amp meter is right on, by Fluke 87. Rock steady operation once adjusted. Have yet to have the cooling fan come on, so I can't say if it is quiet or not. Positive terminal is now red, and it now has an illuminated power switch. Gave unit a four due to lack of schematic and no illumitation of the meters (I have a thing for well lit meters). Solid supply, would definetly recommend.

W6CQA Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2001 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this power supply for about 2-1/2 years with no problems. Have never heard a hint of RFI on any band from 160 thru 2 meters. Regulation is pretty good though not as good as their boat anchor power supplies. The lack of a positive red terminal is no real problem for me. Positive terminal is the upper one and it is stamped in the case, though a little hard to see. The supply has had no problem providing fully regulated power for three different 100 watt rigs that I have used it with, even on FM. The fan does come on whenever I'm running 100 watts FM but not until I've been on my soap box for a while. I have two nit picks. There is no pilot light to indicate when the supply is on. Yes, this one has meters on it but they are not eye catching like a panel lamp. I installed a nice red panel mount LED just above the power switch. It looks nice and is effective. Second, there was no operators manual or schematic with it. How "cheap" can you get? True, it doesn't take a highly skilled electronic tech. to connect two wires and flip a switch but it would be nice to know what the specks are and at least a little schematic for those of us to use in case of a failure. Other than that, it's a great little supply, attractive and small.