Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-820S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-820S
Kenwood TS-820S Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $5000.00
Description: 160 meter through 10 meter HF radio
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/kenwood/ts820/ts820.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-820S.

XE1GXG Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fun to own, operate, repair and aesthetically pleasing. Everyone who sees it says: "THAT'S a ham radio!" Original s2001 tubes and a new driver in 2007 and still puts out a full 100 watts. Very fine CW rig and quite good for PSK and SSTV, too. My FT 450 is great, too,like a reliable Toyota (of yore ha ha) but the 820 is like a Mercedes Benz.

W8JBV Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2010 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Great old rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
What bad things can you say about this radio, can't think about a single one. had mine since 1973, never did a thing to it, still pumps out 120watts with same tubes. She is my backup rig now I just got lazy and got a Ten/Tec Jupiter with all the bells and what ever.love both radios.The old girl still works great.W8JBV just will not sell her she is like an old friend.

VU2YK Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2010 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine in battered shape from a friendly ham who thought I could use it for parts. Apparently it had fallen off the roof. Nevertheless after some coaxing, it worked and showed about 50 watts out with original tubes. With supplied MC-50 microphone I received glowing audio reports. My friend VU2DK thought the transmit audio was very nearly broadcast quality. A lover of hybrid radios, I was very fortunate to start out my hobby with HW-101 followed by the venerable Yaesu FT-101ZD in 1980, a radio I still use every day. Bought another 101Z and finally a TS-530S while on a short trip to the US braving huge odds from the TSA. I own several other Icom and Kenwood radios , but end up using hybrids most of the time. The large tuning knob may have something to do with it, or is there something more ? Awesome radio. Rahul/VU2YK

W5XTL Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2010 21:36 Send this review to a friend
The pinnacle of the Kenwood Hybrid Line  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-820 and the later TS-820S was the pinnacle of the Kenwood Hybrid line. Kenwood switched to a quieter single conversion RX in the 820, changed the IF frequency, and added features such as IF Shift, the adoption of the DG-1 internal digital display and an RF speech processor.

Electrically, the only difference between the TS-820 and the TS-820S is that the original 820 had the DG-1 digital display as an optional accessory while the TS-820S had it as standard equipment.

Physically/mechanically, the original TS-820 had the metal/plastic composite band switch coupler between the coil pack board and the remaining switch in the PA compartment. The TS-820S came with the infamous plastic coupler that is one of the headaches for later hybrid owners. Ken, K4EAA, now has replacement metal couplers for the 820S that will work and last a life time just like the original 820's couplers.

The DG-1 is often pointed to as one of the failings of this rig. True, there are some troublesome spots, but all can be corrected easily with patience and diligence. First area of issue is the plated feed through holes on the counter unit. To repair these, and bring them back to full functionality, one only has to use a short piece of wire in each hole, and solder both sides (ensuring the solder flows through the hole) with high quality solder. It's a one time fix that will last a life time. Second issue is crud, oxidation, and in those particularly bad "smoker owned" rigs, tar and smoke residue buildup on the interconnecting pins and sockets between the two boards that make up the counter unit. Simply remove both boards, clean the sockets and pins with high quality electrical cleaner, and follow up with a good electrical connection lubricant, reassemble/disassemble several times to ensure good contact, and then assemble everything back up and button her up. Should be good to go for quite a while.

The TS-820/S represents the end of the battleship built Kenwood Hybrids. The later 530/830 were smaller, lighter, and boards were combined to reduce cost (engineering/fabrication/repair costs). Those later hybrids are great rigs, but the build quality leaves something to desire for those who own the earlier hybrids. The 820/S quite possibly is the heaviest of the Kenwood Hybrid line. It is also quite possibly the most complicated in design and layout, but is built well, designed with perfection in line, and a properly aligned and maintained 820/S will beat the pants of most rigs out there in both RX performance as well as TX quality.

K0PF Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2009 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Classic Kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a TS-820 new in about 1980 and I still use it. It has one of the best receivers, sensitive and quiet, I have ever used. On cold winter evenings it's nice to smell the warm tubes and it has a comfortable "feel" about it, reliable and just enough power to contact almost anyone you can hear. It's not at all difficult to tune: Dip the Plate and Peak the Load. It does not have a digital synthesizer, so it does not have synthesizer noise in the receiver like so many newer (less expensive) rigs. By the way, it was not $5000 MSRP, more like $1000...

K6LO Rating: 3/5 Oct 23, 2009 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Decent choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love older Kenwood HF gear, and I wish I could say enthusiastic things about the TS-820S. I have owned two of them. I kept neither for more than a couple of months. Nice radio. Rugged, reliable, but I found that both my examples had annoying cicuit hisssssss.... on the audio. Never could solve it. It always colored the audio. I am very sensitive to that noise - pickier than most. If you are not, then the radio is a reliable choice. I love my TS-520S. Blissfully quiet.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2009 23:31 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for its time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I as going through the review section here on EHam and noticed that I hadn't posted a review om Kenwood's TS-820s.

First a little history with the 820s. When I first got back into the hobby in late May of 2003 after a 5+ year layoff of the hobby and being a tech for 8+ years I received this radio as a gift for passing my general class test. Actually I had received the radio sans the mic so I could listen to the ARRL CW practice and on the 40 meter sub band. Any how on the day I was to take my test I was talking to my friend Richard who had initially given me the radio, asked if I was going to pass the tests this evening. I replied in the affirmative and he stated that he would bring the mic to our weekly brunch.

Well obviously passed, and once I had passed and had everything to get on the air, Richard came over a day or so later and showed me how to dip and tune the grid for best operating conditions. I was a quick study and Richard had me show him that I could do the required tasks on pretty much every band. Being that it has none of the WARC bands didn't faze me at all. I was on the air!

I had this rig and and a MC-50 mic and an amplified D-104 mic and my antenna at the time was a GAP Challenger vertical. I will say ths about the radio, it is huge, something like 37lbs, it does have an internal PS which was a plus for me at the time. I was getting a good solid 120 watts out with that rig. But once bitten I had to upgrade not only the license class but the rig/s.

A lot has changed in the shack over the past 6+ years. I am now running an Icom 756 Pro III, with a 75 Pro as a second rig, and a Kenwood TS-570D/G for my special events/field day/ scout rig. I now have a 50' tower with a Mosley TA-33 classic, I also have an AL811H to help with the bad band conditions. Our club had 2 tables at last years Orlando Ham Fest, we had an 820S on the table. Could of had it for a song, it was absolutely pristine, unfortunately it had nothing else, no cables, no power cord, no mic. Seriously thought about it but figured I'd better not, really don't have the room for it on my desk. Yea I could've picked up what I needed, but at that time I really didn't have the $$ to have a complete operating rig. I still have fond memories of the 820s, had a lot of QSO's with that rig, which stayed in my shack until about 3 years ago.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

YD0NSI Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2009 21:44 Send this review to a friend
A great 1980s classic !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got mine from Ebay about 6 months ago for less than US$200 and I believed I am the 3rd owner..Have it shipped from the second owner living in California, USA to Jakarta, Indonesia..The seller was kind enough to separate the Finals and the Driver tubes in a different packaging while in transit..Put the tubes back and after some Contact Cleaner on the pots, the TS-820S sprang out to life like new using the MC-60 mic via the connector adaptor..I later added a TRIO SP-820 ext speaker bought from a local Ham and I really enjoy the mellow sound coming from the ext speaker. A pleasure to my ears for local rag chewing on the 80m and the 40m band..Receiver is very sensitive and its selectivity is great..A bit of drift in the first 5 minutes and then the VFO stabilizes..Output is about 90W at 80/40/20m band and lower at the 15/10m..not bad for a radio almost 30 years old..Reports I've got from my fellow ham have been excellent with solid n full sounding modulation without the compressor on and loud to bright modulation with the compressor on..Looking to complete the set with the ext VFO 820 and the tuner AT-200..The TS-820S sits handsomely next to my FT-901DM..Back to hunting on eBay..lol..
All in all, the TS820S is highly recommended for new or seasoned HAM looking for a hybrid system at very reasonable price..73, de Joy/YD0NSI

KC8QNO Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2009 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Quality built excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a new ham (less than 10yrs) and am 30 yrs old. I am not an expert on radios. I have owned a few radios (all used) including a TS-430S, TS-440S, and a TS-120. I bought this off a good friend who no longer needed it and it was broken. It had all the filters and was very clean and I believe I paid about $200 for it.
I searched the web and discovered the Yahoo TS-820/830S group which is full of info on the Kenwood hybrids. I read it for days and decided to try to fix the radio myself since all those guys were able to do it. I opened it up and I found a burnt out tube which I replaced both for about $10 of ebay for a matched Phillips Set. I cleaned the VFO, cleaned all the plugs, relay sockets, and grounds.
I finally aligned it according to the service manual and put it back together. I turned it on and to my amazement it was alive and kickin'. I tested the finals and I was getting 115watts. I made a few contacts and everyone reported excellent audio. I was extremely pleased with the radio and my overall experience has been excellent. The TS-820S is an antique radio from my perspective and most likely does not even compare to any of the new digital rigs out there however I found it very enjoyable to be able to repair it myself. The tubes are very fun to play with and its very simple to operate and has the digital frequency readout. The rig is heavy and is built very well like all old stuff was back in the day. You can buy a nice used one for about $250 these days and I can personally tell you that the TS-820S is a nice piece of equipment and will get the job done. I even used it on PSK31 with excellent results.
If you are looking to spend a lot of money you probably will want a newer modern rig. If you are like me and do not want to spend much, the TS-820S is a great choice. It can be repaired at home and it works very well. If you see one for sale at a good price buy it. You will not regret it.

GM1FLQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2008 01:22 Send this review to a friend
Solid reliability.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Looks, feels & sounds nice. Only negative was the optional digital frequency display that can be troublesome - the first thing I did was remove it (it is simply a plug-in module) and toss it in the bin. That reduced noise on receive at same time. Nicer standard analogue display to better than 1khz.
Works well with Shure 444 mic.