Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 76CA Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 76CA
Alpha 76CA Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2695
Description: Description: ALPHA Legacy Amp.
3 - 8874's
Same spec. as 76PA, but uses a 2.4 KVA Hypersil
Extra-Duty transformer.
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 76CA.

KB4ZGO Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2012 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Vintage AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only owned my Alpha for a few months, all I can say this is light years compared to an Ameritron 811. I'm not knocking the Ameritron but will say the ALPHA is built with be best parts and after 30 years it still works great! The only thing I fear is the 3CX400A7 ceramic tubes going bad. So finding a spare set is hard but not impossible. I could and may invest in an upgrade option at some point to the 3CX800A7 or 3CPX800A7 ceramic tube. Time and money will tell. If you can find an ALPHA of this vintage and spend $1500.00 or less grab it. If taken care of it will last you a life time.

N4NW Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Better than my Alpha 374 for output  Time owned: more than 12 months
After the Alpha 374, which I sold to a friend in the mid 70's, I opted for the 76Ca Alpha. On the front panel it noted just the 76 but the "C" designation was an indication of the 3 x 8874 final tubes and the 2.4kV Hipersil transformer made the 76Ca a more robust Aplha using the 8874 tubes.

I took this amp with me when I deployed to Africa and used it as TU2NW working thousands of DX stations. It earned me the 1983 Gordon Marshall CQWW SSB plaques with 4th place finish.

For almost 48 hours the my Aplha 76Ca lived the famous Alpha 'brick on the key" for that contest. Hams all over the world depended, as I did on the reliability of the Alpha 76Ca.

K6UJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 07:40 Send this review to a friend
A real workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have had my 76CA for 10 years now. Very reliable, it takes the abuse from accidental transmitting ont he wrong antenna, etc
If you watch the grid current this amp really lasts a long time.

AE4IQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2010 18:32 Send this review to a friend
JUST GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this Alpha 76 CA for about 10 years now and all I can say is what a great piece of equipment. From it's superb construction to it's "brick on the key" performance, it just can't be beat. As an Air Force MARS station and Training Officer for the state of Florida, I rely heavily on this amp. It has never let me down. It's ability to smoothly tune, even on MARS frequencies is just wonderful. The tubes may be expensive, but I have never had to change them!(They may be the original ones). Also, the parts and service department is just super, still being able to provide me a replacement switch assy (cosmetically damaged before I got it) as well as panel meter lamps. I HIGHLY recommend this amp. My 9 year old son, KJ4OIX, can't wait to upgrade and "take it over" hi hi.
I still have the ORIGINAL warranty card from 1979 that came with the owners manual, obviously, never needed. THANK YOU ALPHA!

N0EC Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 07:26 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this amplifier for over 25 years now. It still has the original tubes and is still like new. Very well designed. I've owned many other amplifiers such as Henry, Ameritron, and Icom. I've had good luck with all of them, but the quality of the Alpha products have always been above the rest.

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 17:55 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING AMPS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all u hamsters...We have had many Alpha's from a water cooled PA-70V, four 76's and now a Alpha 77SX two holer, also a Alpha 374A upgraded with warc bands and thrid tube..What more can we say about their products and service..Only going to get better with RFconcepts behind them now..

Just ordered a new Alpha 8410 and can't wait for this one..Cannot get any better than a Alpha

K4VUD Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 17:26 Send this review to a friend
76PAC is a work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Alpha 76PAC version, three tubes, Hypersil transformer, is the top of the line in the 76 line. Manual tune is smooth and reseting is easy with very fine graduated knob skirts. The amp will work great on the WARC bands by choosing the next closest band on the band switch (example choose 15 meters for 17 meters).
Three tube version will output above legal limit with less than 100watts of drive and that is continuous. Very rugged if you keep the grid current lower than 1/3 scale, and never more than a second at higher if you value your tubes.

The push button switches do eventually wear out and are a bear to replace. Alpha still has some replacements that are nearly the same for mechanical mounting (same electrically). The meter lamps eventually burn out and are not simple bulbs.

Alpha products simply WORK as advertised and once the 76 is loaded up, you can forget it. However, those receiving your signal will remember! Great on 160 and easy to get onto 10.

Read the mod web pages about the swamping in the input to decide to remove or not.

Enjoy, de K4VUD

HI8HH Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 18:31 Send this review to a friend
The best all arround Power Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
WHEN IN 1988 I WENT TO THE ETOS FACTORY I WAS INMEDIATELY HOOKED WITH THE 76CA. FLAWLESS WORKMANSHIP INSIDE AND A BEAUTY ON THE OUTSIDE. ALL BUTTOMS, DIALS AND LIGHTS ARE EASILY SEEN AND ACCESSIBLE.
I HAVE WON SEVERAL CONTEST MAINLY IN THE 160Mts BAND. ON OTHER BANDS AS WELL. WHEN YOU BECAME PROFICIENT ON THE UNDERSTANDING OF THE 76CAS CAPABILITIES, YOU WILL DISCOVER THAT IT WORKS ON ALMOST ALL THE WARC BANDS!!!!!!!!
HIGHLY RECOMENDED: HI8HH ( FORMER HI8VMA)

P/S: KEEP THE GRID CURRENT AND DRIVEN POWER AS LOW AS POSSIBLE. MY ORIGINAL TUBES ARE 21 YEARS OLD AND STILL FRYING THE BANDS!!!!!!!

PA1K Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2006 17:45 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an like new Alpha 76CA.
Fantastic amp with smooth tuning.
The only thing is that the tubes (8874) are hard to get, but i have a few new ones, so no problem.
If you can buy one, do it.
Keep the grid current low, and the tubes will last a life time.
It's an Alpha!!!

Bert PA1K

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2003 00:50 Send this review to a friend
new front panel  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this amp for 14 years and just got a new front panel from Alpha...it took just a few minutes to install and looks great with the new Black smooth panel...amp works very good and have only re-tubed it once in all those years...I use it for dx and contests..if you find one, you won't be sorry, I still like to see the needle's move up and down hi...