Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Mercury Paddle -Original N2DAN Key- Help

Reviews Summary for Mercury Paddle -Original N2DAN Key-
Mercury Paddle -Original N2DAN Key- Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $400.00
Description: Handcrafted Paddle by Ex European Machinist to the highest quality standards.

You can write your own review of the Mercury Paddle -Original N2DAN Key-.

K3PA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this paddle 25 years. It's great, and I'll keep it forever. This, much to the consternation of my XYL, since it has my ex wife's call engraved on it, along with mine. Oops....

G3VCN Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2010 12:08 Send this review to a friend
excellence.  Time owned: more than 12 months
n2dan made my chrome finish paddle for me in 2/94, s/no. 071.(if anyone has an earlier paddle with a later s/no he told me that is because he reserved some early s/nos for friends) I wonder if there is a list existing of s/nos to c/s.
As I am ex RN he customised it by putting a red magnet on the left and a green on the right. He said so that I would know which way to point it!! Quite a sense of humour. Have navy blue finger plates. I would have preferred a different design finger plate and Dan wud have done it for me but never got round to it. A superb machine, I can really push it and it just laughs at me. Never have to touch my original settings. Get an original if u can find one.Previously I had used samson keyers with inbuilt paddles. No comparison to this though. Been cw op for 46 years so guess know a thing or two about keys.
I have the mod fitted for memory buttons (four) which I have connected up to my samson etm 9cog keyer. Mercury also engraved by Dan with my call.
Will change the finger plates if I can find someone to manufacture to my requirements.Dan sent me details of his proto-type paddles, if anyone interested I can copy and forward. Hope this info useful.
paul

K6JPA Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2008 19:50 Send this review to a friend
A True Classic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one of these (#0193) several months ago after a long wait for one on to come up on the used market.

I have the Bencher Mercury version to compare it with, and am actually surprised as to how well Bencher reproduced it. Sitting side-by-side, cosmetically, they appear nearly identical. There are some minor differences in the adjustment knurling, and the magnet mounts are just slightly different.

Both versions are excellent keys. The operational difference, however, comes from the lighter feel of the original while using, and slightly tighter bearings controlling lever rotation with the original (there is a very slight amount of vertical play in my Bencher version, not present in my N2DAN original).

I would like to add that I have yet to personally experience the reported temperature-related setting issues mentioned by some regarding either of these key designs.

The N2DAN key is a classic, and is a wonderful testament to it's creator's love of the art.

AB4PP Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2006 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Awesom Paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my MERCURY from Steve/N2DAN when we communicated on 20 meters. He heard me using my old bug and persuaded me, with the help of Ursula/VP2MD to try an iambic paddle. I used a Vibro paddle for years in the miltary and as a ham and needed convincing that it was better. I have had the #158 since the early 80's and have had it on my desk since. I have some stories written about Steve in People magazine and from RSGB that I got when he made the paddle for me that others have asked about. It is an original in brass with silver rhodium contacts and silver screws. It has only been taken apart twice by me for cleaning and recoating. It has lost the original luster both times and I had to use some polish to get the luster back and then put a coating on it. Mine came with the cork bottom (circular) and a clear
plexiglass cover that has a piece of foam around it to keep it tight. I have rarely had to clean the contacts and when I do, I simply use a piece of kimwipe lintless paper and slide it over the contacts. An avid CW op I use my paddles all the time on the desk and have taken it to several field day operations to show off and when I do a QRP forum or demo I will take the MERCURY along for others to see, feel and enjoy.
They rarely if ever get changed and it is nice to sit down and operate without having to readjust my paddles like some others I have and have gotten rid of. If you have a chance to use and operate with one you will notice the difference. There are several copy cat models now available and after Steve's wife sold the patent and it was remarketed it came in a similar form and design. I have used two of those and they were nice but not the same.
JohnPaul/AB4PP, Raleigh, NC

K1AJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2005 06:18 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my N2DAN Mercury paddle for about 8 years I guess. I also own a March paddle, a Zedder, a Hensley (copy of the Merc), a Kent (use it mobile - best value I think), a Begali and a Schurr. Of the bunch the Mercury is still The Best. Heavy weight, heavy contacts, adjustments that stay put and no vertical movement of the paddle arms. A few years ago I replaced the plastic finger pieces with a pair made out of ivory (old ivory). Nirvana!

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2004 13:50 Send this review to a friend
A dream come true!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have wanted one of these for many years. It took me about two weeks to convince the original owner to sell it to me, and I am now the proud owner of #48, an unchromed brass version. It must have some sort of protective clear finish on it, as there is extremely minimal patina in a couple of spots on the brass. I will proudly use it whenever I have the opportunity! I have to agree with all the other reviews, this one's a keeper!

N3HQB Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2002 14:02 Send this review to a friend
QRQ with style  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago, I made the pilgrimage to Steve's shack in Port Charlotte, FL for an eyeball, and now own S/N 0152. During his retirement, Steve (N2DAN/4) kept improving the design, experimenting with different threads, paddle materials, cork base ring, and applied all of his experience from a life's work as a machinist and a CW op. The result is a genuine CW tool. Keeping up with the CW keyboards was impossible with other paddles (e.g., Bencher), but a pleasure with the N2DAN Merc. Beautiful, heavy chrome plating, smooth operation, precisely adjustable, right height off the operating table. Base is so heavy it rides my center console for CW/mobile. God is probably using one. Bless you, Steve.

KI6YN Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2001 14:10 Send this review to a friend
CAN'T BE IMPROVED UPON!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Mercury in 1991, serial number 126. It was everything N2DAN claimed it was. It is solid and responsive. I've read reveiws about copies that claim the original had temperature problems, no way have I experienced that. My paddle has remained 'precise' without re-adjustment for over 10 years of heavy use. It is a thing of beauty and a fitting memorial to a great craftsman. If one becomes available, buy it, you will have endless hours of pleasure using it.

K8XF Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2001 12:56 Send this review to a friend
A Paddle that launched many clones  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading K4TWJ's book back in summer of 1991, ''Keys, Keys, Keys''...I decided to get something better than the Bencher key that I was using for years. After returning home from the high seas (Ship Radio Electronics Officer) I called Steve N2DAN and after a landline qso decided to purchase a key. It was well worth the wait and expense. Very smooth sending, heavy chromed round base, top notch machining, and magnetic tension adjustment. What a sportcar of a Paddle..... Since N2DAN became a SK I have noticed many pretenders to the Paddle Palace. This shows me that his creation is a popular item to imitate. Glad to have an original item. I wonder if the others can hold a candle to the Masters creation?

Mike, K8XF