Reviews Categories | Microphones | Yaesu MD1-C8 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MD1-C8
Yaesu MD1-C8 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $>$100
Description: Deluxe desk Mic with tone control. Fixed 600 ohm impedance.
Handsome.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MD1-C8.

W2RS Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2017 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Stands the test of time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Yaesu MD1-B8 (not the C8) to use with my FT-102 about 30 years ago. Like the FT-102, it is a classic that has stood the test of time, even with modern transmitters.

Today, I use it with a Ten-Tec Orion II, for which I have several Ten-Tec mikes. The MD-1 is the best. Unlike the others, it is virtually totally immune to RF in the shack. I set the MD-1's tone control to Position 1 (-6 dB at 100 Hz) and fine-tune the frequency response using the Orion II's equalization controls. With my voice, I get the best results with TX EQ set to +2 dB (a slight bass boost) and LF rolloff at 150 Hz.

As a dynamic mic, its output level is relatively low, so I set the HW mic gain to +10 dB and the front panel mic gain to 60.

The audio sounds great, and I get lots of unsolicited compliments.

AB0YY Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great audio reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Yeasu ft 990 decided to go into retirement and I replaced it with a Kenwood 480, I have tried several microphones on the kenwood in which everyone told me it did not soound as good as the FT 990.
I ordered an adapter from the cwman on ebay which is a Yaesu 8pin round to a Kenwood modular and I have got great audio reports with the Yaesu MD-1.
Even with 10db compression is working great on 160m.
I glad I kept the MD-1 and gave it a try.
I even tried the Heil proset 3 and everyone said to through it away.
If you have a Kenwood, try the Yaesu MD-1 over the Kenwood MC60.
K0RON

WA7KGX Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Works with FlexRadio 5000A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked one up used. It plugs right in to my FlexRadio 5000A. Being a dynamic mic, it does not need phantom power which is not provided by the 5000A. After a few tweeks to the FlexRadio PSDR software everyone is happy with the audio.

I use this as a rag-chewing desk mic. It has both a push to talk button and a smaller locking PTT. It has a cardioid pattern so I don't have to hold it close to my mouth.

My only quibble is that it is somewhat larger than the ICOM SM-6 mike I picked up at the Seaside hamfest.

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Works great after 25 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine's the B version too, bought new for use with an FT-757GXII in the late '80s, and still going strong. Also works well with the Ten Tec speech processor.

W1PDG Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2014 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is the b8 version. What can you say. It is just a very good all around mic. Plus it looks much nicer than a lot of the modern stuff on the market today.

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 03:16 Send this review to a friend
All Time Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine is the B8 version, the difference being a three position tone switch compared to the two position C8, otherwise identical performance.
I had one years ago when I bought the FT-1000D, so I'm pretty familiar with the excellent audio this mic produces.
I wired it to my FT-950 with a little internal mod to enable the Up / Down buttons to work, set the rigs parametric equalizer and processor to suit my own ears, and not surprisingly the on air comments were very complimentary.
I would recommend this mic to anyone, even on rigs with no eq it will produce good clean audio.

KL2TC Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2011 23:47 Send this review to a friend
A Journeyman tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first got mine for use with a Yaesu 757GX. It worked swell. When I got my FT-950, I just plugged it right into the front of the radio. It worked without problems and no one has remarked that my sound is less than acceptable.

I do activate it with a push-to-talk switch that I built, and I no longer use the base unit, and instead have the mic suspended in a commercial microphone holder. This doesn't matter, it's just a mic and everything works fine. I have no need to go microphone hunting.

Al

EA3WR Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2011 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and simple mike  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got mine in a fleamarket some months ago to pair with my old and reliable FT-307 and I must say that on air results are outstanding. I never had so many unsolicited audio reports and I have met some colleagues asking what audio chain I was using. :-) Audio chain? no the mike is not chained anywhere, its just sitting on the desk and I don't think it will try to escape from my shack. Now seriously, I didn't expect such a good performance in combination with the FT-307 processor. No digital processing, no audio preamp on the mike stand, just a well done dynamic element conveniently matched to your radio and you reach to the conclusion that the simpler the better...
73 de John EA3WR
*////

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2010 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Great classic microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this microphone for almost 20 years. Thought it would be nice to write a review.

This is one of those mics that have been floating around so long, it has established itself as a good "go-to" mic when you need a hard-working, reliable "known quality". You know what you can expect from the MD-1 ... great audio!

I have used mine for years with both a Yaesu FT-757 and the FT-One. The MD-1 is a standard microphone, not requiring phantom power, so as the state-of-the-art progresses, I'm finding more of the Amateur transceiver want to use phantom power on the audio input line of the microphone connector. This means adding a blocking capacitor to some of these newer rigs. On a lesser quality microphone than the MD-1, this would mean right away that your audio quality will suffer with that cap in line. Not so with the MD-1! It's worked just as well with my Icom IC-746Pro as it did with my Kenwood TS-940.

The tone settings (3 of them) are a nice touch and with these new rigs that offer transmit audio contour adjustments on the rig itself, your possibilities for audio quality adjustment are almost unlimited. With its built in coupling transformer, you can select between 600 ohm and 50K ohm impedance .... you can even use the MD-1 with boat anchors that require those high-Z mics!

I love mine and I'm pretty confident in recommending one to anyone who needs an inexpensive desk mic. Out of production now, I've seen one or two on a hamfester's table in the last few years. Worth picking up if you need one.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2010 16:36 Send this review to a friend
very nice mike a real clasic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ive been told it is very good ive heard it on a monitor radio,i can say this is as good as you can get if you can find one i was lucky.
if you see on going for sale dont let it slip away you will be a very unhappy bunny if you do.
built solid not plastic feels like it will last till i peg out or the end of time which ever comes first..jeff..M6GLH..