Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-404 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-404
Radio Shack HTX-404 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199
Description: 440 MHz mini-HT, 200 mw output w. 2 alkaline AA batteries, 2 watts out with 9.6 volts external, 30 memories, programmable tones, discontinued in early 2001
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-404.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2012 09:57 Send this review to a friend
What a surprise  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This HT is a great example of how Radio Shack used to get things right. It has better audio than two different Kenwood models I own, both transmit and receive. In fact, listening on another radio to the local repeater I'm amazed at how good the transmit audio is. The receive audio is powerful as well. Reminds me of the super audio of the old Patrolman crystal scanners. (Yeah I still have one of those too and still use it.)

For the $45 I paid this is a home run.

N1WVQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2008 07:47 Send this review to a friend
The best 440 rig I have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my current 404 as a replacement for one stolen out of my car in 1999. I had had that one since 1996. Neither 404 have given me any problems. I have it so I can RX/TX between 430-450, as per the soft modification described in an earlier post. 5W of power, no D.C.S. but that's O.K.!

NP2EP Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2006 12:43 Send this review to a friend
So far, as good as it's 2m brother  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently acquired a 404 from Ebay in good shape. I have been a longtime fan of the 202 so I am not surprised at the quality and robustness of this unit.

So far, the only quirk I have noticed (this has already been mentioned) is that the CTCSS decode seems to lag a bit... when monitoring a repeater that is sending a tone, the squelch doesn't open right away, lags maybe a second or two. This doesn't really impact the overall usability much, it's only long enough to miss the first syllable spoken by the repeater user (or the first letter of a call, so I hear "...P2EP, this is K3ABC").

One other thing that surprised me is that the unit doesn't cover the entire 70cm band. Out of the box it covers 440-450, and you can do a "soft" modification (described in the manual) to open it up to 430-450. Since I'm new to this band, I'm not sure why this would be... but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Overall I am very happy, and would recommend the unit. My unit is missing the belt clip, so if anyone has an extra they would be willing to part with, please let me know!

AI4EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2006 16:20 Send this review to a friend
solid handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had about 4 htx - 202 since 1991, but this is my first 404. I bought it used, with no manual ( did not need it, since practically everything is identical to the 202 ).
I charged up the old small rechargable battery pack, and to my surprise...it HOLDS A CHARGE. I have no idea how old the unit or battery is, but I am a satisfied buyer. If you know any thing at all about the htx - 202, the 404 will be no challenge to operate.

AI4EP (Robert Hyatt )

W2RJL Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2006 03:17 Send this review to a friend
excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
THE TWO BRICKS OF AMATEUR RADIO (only the HTX-404's & HTX-202's units that were under production from Icom for Radio Shack with it's "REALISTIC" brand logo name before they switched the name over to "Radio Shack" logo)

I have not had any problems with my HTX-404 liked mentioned with the previous reviews. These are/were two really great HT radios from Radio Shack (or really from Icom): The HTX-404 and it's 2-meter brother, the HTX-202...

Keep all your wide-band radio's with their love for intermod and all those "birdies" - you can keep'em. Want a "better built and a commerical quality" radio then go buy a MOTOROLA!!!!

Can't beat the audio output from the internal speaker - those other newer fangled HT's just can't cut the mustard!!! And the transmit audio is right up there with that good Motorola sound quality, that's right, no BS!

Seems that some people below have written reviews to the other Radio Shack models (HTX-200, HTX-400)in here where the reviews for the HTX-404 belong. Do people read first or are these the same people that write Ten-Tec reviews under Kenwood TS-570 - DUHH !!!

Bottom line: it's a shame the Radio Shack does not make these two units anylonger. Ah, all good things come to an end. This was a good collaboration between Radio Shack & Icom. If you find them - buy them!!!

AB5CC Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2005 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these radios. I bought one brand new on a closeout for $150 and one was $30 at a hamfest and it had a bad backup battery (err3). I fixed the one with the bad backup battery for $1 and about 15 minutes work. These radios are fantastic. I have had 6 of them in all counting the four HTX-202s. Like I said in the HTX-202 review, if I had to stake my life on a radio, I would choose one of these. They have enough features, are not modifiable, do not have intermod problems and put out quite a bit of power. They are great for APRS too. Now they go for $30 to $45 and in my humble opinion are the best value in ham radio.

WB4QNG Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2005 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine on E-Bay about a year ago for $45. It works great. Glad I bought it there is not much activity on the band here so for $45 I am more than happy with it. If you find one for less than $50 buy it. Might save you lot a money not buying a dual band with nothing on 440
Terry
WB4QNG

WO4C Rating: 3/5 Mar 6, 2005 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Tough  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the Realistic HTX 404 for a long time and it still performs as always. Like most HT's of its era the ni-cads are dead but easily repairable - I bought the optional AA case and cigar plug so it is still usable. The draw back was the limitation within the band (440-450MHz), but found a fix but has been so long ago that I don't remember what it was - some button to hold on power up I think (it opened 430-450MHz).

Wouldn't recommend buying one, try for a newer HT with more features. I wouldn't sell mine though.

Tony - WO4C

KB2TES Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2004 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Brick S* *T House  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first amateur tranceiver.
Purchased new in 1995 and NEVER regretted it!!!
It is a radio that I can always depend on no matter what.
It has seen other radios of mine come and go yet I frequently come back to it.
Purchased 8.4vdc 1400mah & 13.8vdc 2700mah rechargeable batteries for the ICOM equivalent from W&W Associates and these batteries work well with it, although radio gets a bit warm with the 2700mah battery. I'll have to be a bit conservative with the big battery.

I'm hard on handhelds so durability and reliability are most important.

This radio does not owe me one red cent!!!

kb2tes

VE3SSQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2003 10:04 Send this review to a friend
HTX-404, the Good, the Bad & The ugly (but mostly good)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine new in late 1997. I've liked it quite well since then. One of its best features its excellent intermod rejection. Its not a Radio shack specific design, Its a modified form of another radio, although at the momemnt I forget the original model. This leads me to one of the radio's few shortcomings, The RS model has a slightly different battery retaining clip than the original so though the batteries from one will work on the other only the RS battery packs will lock in place properly. The only other real complaint I have is the internal battery used for retaining the memory presets. It's soldered in place on a pair of extremely flimsy metal tabs, its a real bugger to replace. A battery clip for that is a must that was omitted. Would have been easy to add as well since clips for the very common CR2032 batteries used in the rig are common.

Overall the radio is easy to use and works quite well. I've noticed the audio quality is great and the rig also works quite well with my Baypac BP-2 for packet radio as well. Luckily for me I haven't experienced the tone squelch problem on mine. I'm surprised this radio didnt catch on more than it did. Here in Ontario (Canada), RS lowered the price to $199 in late 1997 and kept it at that price until the radio was discontinued.