Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-404 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-404
Radio Shack HTX-404 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199
Description: 440 MHz mini-HT, 200 mw output w. 2 alkaline AA batteries, 2 watts out with 9.6 volts external, 30 memories, programmable tones, discontinued in early 2001
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-404.

K4III Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2003 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Great w/o tone squelch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It is a great radio. However, if you plan to use tone squelch to cut out other noises and/or users on frequency, you may want another radio. There is a problem with the chip used and the tone squelch only searches every couple of seconds for the tone. I read somewhere that it is a programmed chip fault in the radio. In other words, one time it may open the receiver's audio right at the beginning of the person keying, the next time, open it 3 seconds after the person speaks. The same problem happens if you are using tone squelch to knock the repeater's squelch tail out.

This seems to be a common ham rig problem not found much on commercial gear, even with the newer rigs such as the early Yaesu VX-5 HTs!

Otherwise, if you don't plan to use tone squelch, (not Tone) it is a GREAT little HT that can offer a lot on UHF. The transmitted encoded tone works fine. (It's the decoder)

K4SDC Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2003 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Every Ham Should Have At Least One Of These!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
All I can say is that Radio Shack made a BIG mistake when they quit making these radios.. In my opinion they should have expanded the line to include a dual-band, a 220mhz, and a 6-meter; all to match the 404/202 rigs.

This is a solid radio with good output, excellent audio on both transmit & receive, enough features to make it a functional radio but not so many functions that you need a college degree to turn it on. I have 2 HTX-404s (and 2 HTX-202s as well) and have had no problems with either one of them. Perfect first HT for a new ham!

Now, wouldn't it be great if eHam would put all of the 404 reviews under one heading instead of two?

KD7BCS Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2002 18:31 Send this review to a friend
CTCSS prob?  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is for coment about the CTCSS:

We don't under stand what is going on with this tone problum. We have tested 7 radios on a IFR-1500s, over $20,000 service monitor and have seen no problums. I own IRLP node number 501 here in Southern Oregon our repeater needs 173.8 tone and we have no problums with that. Also, none of our PTT switches make any niose....????

I like the CTCSS encode cause they hold carrior for about 250ms after a unkey so a repeater that has not got a audio delay bord you hear no sqelch crash....

KQ6Q Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2002 00:27 Send this review to a friend
my only 70cm radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There aren't many open 440 repeaters here, so I only use a couple of the memories, no problem with the PL on the ones I use. Receiver is nice and tight - recent deployment inside a hospital, I could hear the F6A's on simplex, but they couldn't hear me. One of the other guys got another 404 out of his bag, we were in solid communication in a high-noise RF dense environment. I use it in the car with an external antenna and power from the cigarette lighter, and a speaker-mike - works great. Just don't think about trying to use the keypad or reading the display while driving at night!

VE6TXT Rating: 3/5 Mar 19, 2002 13:25 Send this review to a friend
But one significant problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agree with the other sentiments about the radio, it is a good unit for the price. It does have a significant problem with CTCSS encoding, and if you need encoding to access a repeater, you should make another choice for a uhf handheld.

See http://sbszoo.com/ve6sbs/projects/htx404/htx404.htm
for a detailed explanation.

KC0JEX Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2002 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the cash  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio used on eBay for around $80. I think I got a great deal on it with the 5 watts output on a 13.8 VDC plug. Good features, I like the DTMF components and other functions.

KD7BCS Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2002 15:52 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ht for high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio though made by radioshack i few years ago, was clearly one of their best. this is a must for a UHF buff. These radios can crank 5 watts all day long or 1/2 watt. Also there RX is awsome because they dont go out of band. RX is 430-450 thats it.... Great reject, no intermod, very solid like its bro (htx-202). awsome display very easy to read...

to have a good list ya must have a down side :)

Down side:
the only thing that i can say is that the keypad don't light up..(so what) they work to well.....

Side note. I hade some custom batt's made for it with big Mah for 12v so 5 watts is nooo brob.

to buy one is about $80-110 if more its to much

Chris KD7BCS

KC0JEX Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2001 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Superb Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio used and got it for a good deal. It comes with all the necessary features and covers 430-450 MHz. Runs 5 watts output on 12VDC, nice little 70cm HT, for a beginner or Advanced operator.

WD9DUI Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2001 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to return the first one that I found, it had no audio on TX. The 2nd one works fine, good reports and able to get into all the local machines. A good radio for under $50.

N1VLQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 2, 2001 15:21 Send this review to a friend
some more details...  Time owned: months
Since I work for RadioShack, I thought I'd give you a little more information. The HTX-400 is now closeout priced at $49.97, and if your store doesn't have one, they can quickly tell you which stores in their district do have them, if any at all. Tell them to check their "perpetual", short for perpetual inventory, which lists much of the merchandise in all the stores in a particular district of RadioShack stores (typically 20 to 30 stores). It takes literally less than 5 seconds to check that information. As for the power plug, I tried part number 273-1712 on the HTX-200 (the 2 meter version of the same radio) and it seems to fit nicely. There are a few different pigtails to attach that plug to, located in the same section (usually!). Hope that helps!
Bruce, N1VLQ