Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Diamond HV7A HF/VHF Antenna System Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond HV7A HF/VHF Antenna System
Diamond HV7A HF/VHF Antenna System Reviews: 23 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: The HV7A has 5 band capability: 70cm, 2m, 6m, and 2HF bands through the use of loading coils. Foldover feature allows for easy access into low overhead buildings. Ideal for users of IC706 series and FT100 radios. <br> <br> Bands supplied: 10m/6m/2m/70cm <br> Opt. Loading Coils: 40m/20m/17m/15m <br> Power, P.E.P.: HF 120w/VHF 200w <br> Mount Connection: UHF <br> Length: 54 <br> SWR: 1.5:1 nominal <br> <br> Above info is from the product literature. For a better idea, check out on-line catalogs: ie. http://www.aesham.com <br> <br> Optional coils typically run between $33 and $40.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/mobile2.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond HV7A HF/VHF Antenna System.

KA4VAF Rating: 2/5 Apr 14, 2005 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Not Happy With This Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this antenna new last year and have yet to get it to load properly on 10M and 6M with my ICOM 706MKIIG. Be advised this antenna is very sensitive to a good ground. I sent it back to Diamond and they returned it saying it checked out OK. I've tried various grounding methods. I currently have the mount bolted to the rear bumper of my truck which is bolted directly to the frame. It's OK on 2M and 440 but I still get SWR spikes at 75 watts or better on 6M and cannot get 10M to load at all. I've decided to settle on working 6M, 2M and 70CM and just bought a Comet SB-15.

W8ATT Rating: 0/5 Feb 23, 2005 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Very poor performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have swore by Diamond antennas till I purchased this antenna. I could not get the thing to tune properly and I have an Antenna anaylzer which usully makes quick work of tuning. Don't waste the money on optional coils either like I did because the tuning is horrible. I tried different grounds to no avail. Ended up getting a Comet antenna which worked FB and sold the Diamond at a hamfest.

AA9HX Rating: 2/5 Jan 29, 2004 18:26 Send this review to a friend
great looks, poor performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
hello,

used to run a comet CA-HV for 5 years that needed updating...bought the good looking HV7A. Performance on 20 (with additional coil) and 40 less than before. Antenna detunes constantly while driving and when powered with 100 Watts. had to fix the elements with straps to keep it working while driving, without VSWR jumps from 1 to 3.
Recently bought an ATAS120, Jesus this one is good ! Left the HV7A in the garage for the last four months... Only use it when i want to impress people.

Don't buy it, go for the ATAS 120 !!!

N4KMA Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2004 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna for a few months and use it with my Yaesu FT-8900R. Tuned the antenna as the instructions advised and it performs great! On 2m, 440, swr readings are 1.5 or lower. On 6m and 10m it is in between 1.6 and 1.8. So if you buy one just read the instructions and you will have no problem. I am new to 10m and 6M FM and I am having a great time.

N4KMA
Juan

NA6DF Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2003 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the HV7A on my Ranger 4X4 pick-up for about a year or so. It's mounted on a heavy duty bracket on the outside corner (away from cab) of my tool box. Tuned up per instructions, works great. I use it exclusivley for 10/6/2 & 440 with my Yaesu FT-8900 Quad bander. It is a very rugged antenna, but it's heavy! You'll need a very substantial chunk of metal for a mount. I bought a "chicken band" mirror mount bracket at a truck-stop that is very heavy duty. I then drilled it out to accept the Diamond UHF style mount w/feedline, although you could use a long so-239 barrel with washers & nuts as well. Overall, very pleased. The perfect mate for my quad-bander!

W8ATT Rating: 2/5 Nov 30, 2003 17:29 Send this review to a friend
HV7A Diamond antenna-Not the Diamond I'm used to...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the HV7A with a FT-100D and haven't been too happy with it. If I use the 10 meter coil I can tune 70cm, 2m, 6m, and 10m. I bought the 40m and 17m coils and heres where the trouble started. I use 6m a lot and when I use any of the two optional coils my 6m swr goes high. I've tried to tune 6m with the 40m or 17m coils on but get the lowest swr at around 49.5Mhz. I've grounded the site to the body and rig to the body. I have a straight shot to the battery for power. I've owned many 70cm/2m mobile Diamond antennas and swear by them but the HV7A in my book is a lemon.

KD5HIY Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2003 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the HV-7A for almost a month now and I think that it works great. It wasn't really hard for me to get it tuned, but it took about 30-45 minutes of straight working to get it just right. Just like everybody else said, 2M/70cm work great with a 1.2, 6m is at about a 1.6-1.7 and 10m is at 1.1. Reception I think is amazing, I live in Arkansas and can hear 10M FM Repeaters with a 59 signal 90% of the time. Overall a very nice antenna.

Chris
KD5HIY

W7VI Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2003 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Read the direction while tuning the antenna and you will have excellent results. Use my HV7A with my new FT-8900 moble use. Had one 10 mtr fm contact and recieved a 59 signal report from PA.
SWR is 1:1 on 2mtr and 70cm, on 6mtr the best I can get is about 1.5:1. Everything is in range of what the directions recommends. Stev, W7VI REno

N7DK Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2002 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a ham for 40 years & just got back into the hobby with an FT-817 and an HV7A. I've been working the whole world on 10m and 20m right from the car. Japan, Chile, France, Mexico and about 12 states in today's 10m contest (12/14/02). I'm amazed at what can be done with 5 watts and this antenna. Strongly recommend antenna analyzer to tune this antenna ... it can be very tricky otherwise. Theory says top-loaded design should radiate the best, and results appear to prove it.

EI5HW Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2002 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Difficult to tune on 6M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just installed and tuned my Diamond HV7A Antenna. I used Anyenna Analysers to assist in tung. I found I am getting a 1:1 on 2m, 70cm and 10M, HOWEVER, the lowest I seem to get the SWR on 6M is about 1.7. I have the antenna properly grounded and am using the K600 boot mount.

Any ideas anyone ?