Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Ten-Tec 1300 series QRP kits Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 1300 series QRP kits
Ten-Tec 1300 series QRP kits Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $119
Description: Fine CW QRP transceiver; covers 60-70 KHz of band; with case
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/kits/Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 1300 series QRP kits.

K4VNQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2014 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Improved Tuning  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built and used the TenTec 1340 QRP kit for years just as it was, then got the idea to change the tuning pot to a ten turn pot. This mod makes a world of difference in tuning. The holes have to be re-drilled about 3/8 of an inch above the original in both panels in order to clear the toroid beneath. This mod is very easy to do. I don't know why I didn't do this years ago. I guess this is the last of the QRP kits from TenTec so maybe I should have got ones for the other bands also.. It seems the trend now is computer chip control, tiny surface mounted stuff that can not even be repaired.

AULDWILLY Rating: 2/5 Jul 15, 2014 14:14 Send this review to a friend
S-O-S  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine is as dead as a hammer, does anyone have trouble shooting info?
billpaul@ij.net

K4YAB Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2013 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Correction on previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found the main large Diagram hard to read .
I just noticed that the diagrams of the same ckts in the assembly book are much better to read.

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Judge for Yourself  Time owned: more than 12 months
Building one of these Ten-Tec CW transceiver kits is like a course in RF electronics (although much cheaper) and besides the fun of learning, you end up with a quality QRP rig that is an absolute blast to use! I was talking with my friend Ken the other day, impressed with the signal he was producing with his T1340, then Don called me on his T1340! If you wonder what their little low powered signals sounded like, take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCBB550CC261C5EA6
Judge for yourself - you might be surprised!
73, Lynn/NG9D

KU4UV Rating: 0/5 Jul 11, 2013 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Do not purchase a QRP kit from Ten Tec!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Folks, do not buy this kit. Save yourself the frustration and headache and spend a few more bucks and go with something like the Oak Hills Research kits that will actually work after they are assembled and not have nearly the problems during assembly or alignment that the Ten Tec series kits have.

KU4UV Rating: 2/5 Jun 15, 2013 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the price or headache to me.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Ten Tec 1320 kit directly at the Ten Tec store in Tennessee. The kit itself isn't all that easy to assemble, and there isn't a whole lot of room on the circuit board for errors should you make a mistake. This definitely isn't a kit for a first-time kit builder. At a bare minimum, you need a good VOM meter, and a frequency counter to properly assembly the kit. I found there were several places on the board where there is the possibility for component leads to touch. This caused me to have to use heat shrink wrap on several component leads. The kits also are known for having problems until you perform the proper modifications on them. This includes such as things as hiss in the audio output, popping in the sidetone, and having to rearrange the outpout coils to prevent having problems. I found I had to go to N5ESE's webpage to correct some of the problems on a 1340 transceiver that I had purchased already assembled on Ebay.
Now for another issue. It seems that Ten Tec is currently out of the PCB boards for the 1300 series kits. There is a part number listed in the assembly manual for the kit, but Ten Tec informed me that they are in the process of redesigning the circuit boards to support SMD components, so who know when, or more likely IF the circuit boards for the 1300 series kits will ever be produced again. I found that Ten Tec parts department was slow to answer e-mails when I asked about ordering a replacement circuit board that I needed for one my 1320 kits. I simply received a response stating that they were currently out of the circuit boards for the 1300 kits, no other explanation given, even I called the parts department directly. So, keep in mind that if you ever need a replacement circuit board for one of the QRP kits, you are basically S.O.L. and will have to order a whole new kit. I don't feel that this kit is worth the $130 price tag, especially when you can order one of the OHR kits for the basically the same price, and probably not have nearly as many problems during assembly and testing. If Ten Tec ever closes out the kits for around $80, I might considering taking another gamble with one, but most likely not. For these reasons, I can't and won't recommend that any purchase this kit.

W8GND Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2013 03:58 Send this review to a friend
Dandy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built one of these about 7 or 8 years ago, and then foolishly gave it away.

Got the itch again, and just ordered the kit.

Only comment is that you have to be very careful about positioning the final section toroids.

73 Jerry W8GND (jwodell@comcast.net)

KA8YRV Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the 40 meter kit early on and no problems whatsoever. Went together beautifully, receives like a rig should and in short, I love it. I work only QRP CW and get great reports, enjoy the stability, and use it more than any of my other rigs. Thank you TEN TEC !

VE3GNU Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful 1340  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was only the second kit-radio I built after a long hiatus since the days of Heathkit and it came together without a hitch! The manual supplied at the time was a spiral-bound copy---which I found to be complete, instructive, and clear-to-understand. I concur with what others have said about the 'hot' receiver, but it is the famous Ten Tec QSK that 'takes the cake' for me---pretty well confirming what has generally been said/written---a real joy to experience! The receiver-sound is pure analog, a nice treat for the ears! I've removed the speaker and use the Sony MDR-7605 instead. I also might add that I've not experienced any of the issues that have irked some others. In short---a highly recommended quality kit, and affordable. Good job Ten Tec.
73---Ernie

N5KIG Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2012 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Good experience building / operating Ten Tec 1340  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently finished building a T-Kit model 1340.. It was fun to build, but as I am 66 years old, I had some difficulty verifying the part numbers, etc. I triple checked each step before soldering. I made only one mistake that was easily corrected.. All of the progress tests were done successfully. I would not reccommend this kit to a beginner, unless you can find an Elmer that can work with you.

This may not happen again in a hundred years, but I kid you not, I connected the rig to a dipole and called "CQ" and was answered on the very first call.

Similiar radios from other manufacturers are listed for about twice the price .. Have some fun,, Go for it!