Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | Extra Class Help

Reviews Summary for Extra Class
Extra Class Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $14.95
Description: Exam preparation by Gordon West, WB6NOA. "Everything you need to upgrade to Amateur Extra Class the quick and easy way!"
More info: http://www.w5yi.org/catalog_details.php?pid=64&sort=7

You can write your own review of the Extra Class.

KG1F Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2010 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Thanks Gordo  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I passed both Element 3 and Element 4 with the help of the Gordon West Audio CDs, listening to them on my commute to and from work every day for a month or two. Gordo helps with all kinds of tips and mnemonic tricks and a real easy to understand teaching style.

Thanks, Gordo!

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent learning materials!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Gordon West Extra book 2008-2012 version, with the W5YI practice exam software. The book is laid out in an easily understood manner, grouping similar topics is brilliant, the explanation of correct answers & extra insights is great. VERY GOOD now as to W5YI ... well read my review of them...
PS: Gordo was informed of W5YI's apparent lack of customer concern!!!!

VK4TJF Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2009 02:55 Send this review to a friend
excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
with Gordo's help the book and the set of 6 CD's that I played in my car I passed the extra exam and missed only 2 questions. I studied very far away from the test session in Australia where I live now. I took the exam in Hawaii while on a family vacation and I only had one shot at the exam. the CD's did everything that a ham class would expect to do. the book also helps heaps. thanks Gordo. KC8CAM

AA4OQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Very Usefull  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This book helped me a tremendous amout! I was able to read through it a few times and thanks to his little critques of each question I was able to learn the questions and answers pretty effecently... The reason my review is only a 4 is the fact that on some of the more technical issues coverd in the book he gives you an answer but does not fully explain how that answer was reached, granted some questions may require extensive background info but I would have liked to have that info available. I will be buying ARRL's Extra manuel in a short time just so I can now go back and acctually learn how I got the answers I did on my test.

N1FFF Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Great tutorial - helped me pass the test  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Gordo helped me pass both element 3 and element 4 - I credit him with helping me get both my General and Amateur Extra classs license.

I listened to the CDs for several months while traveling to and from work for several months, and worked through many of the questions in the accompanying book.
With that effort, combined with many hours of drilling through the practice exams on QRZ.COM, I passed the tests.

Another trick - when working on the QRZ.COM tests, any time I would run into a question I could not answer I would look it up in the book. I'd finish the test, and then do it again till I would get 100%. Then I'd do another version of the practice test the same way.

AD7DB Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2004 17:31 Send this review to a friend
The book helped me make Extra  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used just the Gordon West Extra Class book for my study. After 2 months or so of study, I passed my exam with only 3 wrong answers. Be careful, the book has some wrong answers. On one question (at least) he gave the wrong answer letter with an explanation that was totally unrelated; it must have been meant for another question.

KB0VVK Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2004 23:40 Send this review to a friend
book&tapes  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used the book and tapes too pass the Extra test also used the ARRL book
His Light and easy way of talking on the tapes makes a dull subject interesting.

WB6SAT Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2002 00:00 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good book, but..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

Both I and my wife have used the book for study up through Extra class. She is just about done with her's. She found at least one incorrect answer, (E2C08), in her book, ... the one which expires on July 2002.
Never-the-less, we like the layout and presentation.

KG4PWC Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2002 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Helpful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I passed all the exams from Technician to Extra in less than 5 months. The Gordon West texts were easy to use especially since I only had 15-30 minutes of study time per day. The ARRL books did help in filling in the details left out by Gordon West Books. The Jerry Ziliak code tapes I found to be more useful to listen to while driving than the Gordon West tapes for the 5 wpm exam.

W7TDC Rating: 2/5 Feb 9, 2002 22:43 Send this review to a friend
ARRL  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ive read the Gordon West books and didnt like them. I just like the way the ARRL books are formatted. They are much better. I passed with a 48 out of 50 so id say the ARRL book works pretty well.