Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner
Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: Follows analog Motorola I, II, I/II and GE/Ericsson (EDACS) trunked systems. 20 banks (50 channels each), 20 priority channels. Extended coverage: 29-54, 108-174, 216-225, 406-512, 806-960 (cellular excluded), and 1,240-1,300 MHz.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner.

W2OMD Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2014 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly surprised.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been into scanners for almost 30 years, and the Pro-94 was one that I never owned. I picked up a mint "B" model on eBay for under $40 recently to add to my collection. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. The radio works quite well. Frequency coverage is excellent. Audio is good. Sensitivity is good. Unlike how some people feel, I think the scanner is very simple to program by hand. Although it lacks many features of the current trunk tracking scanners, I really like the 94 "B" for the ridiculously low price I paid.

W5EI Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2007 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Gets the job done  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this scanner for six years. It is not a big problem to program it if you follow to the letter the instruction book. The audio is poor with the built-in speaker. I solved that problem by plugging in a little cheapie extension speaker that sounds a whole lot better than the original. A set of headphones will also yield reasonably good audio. It tracks the trunked systems I am interested in with no problems. If you can find for under $100 on ebay or at a swapfest, it's worth the money.

N0VKG Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2007 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Good one, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellant scanner. I have the PRO-94A model. The PRO-94B model supports PC control with a PC connector on the side of the radio. My primary complaint is the aweful sound of the radio. Even when monitoring a system with a strong signal, the audio still has a heavy amount of HISS and static. This HISS and static is not picked up on my other radios while monitoring the same systems. This HISS/STATIC problem is even worse when monitoring the 900Mhz systems. It seems to me that Uniden did a poor job with the NFM decoder on this one. 900Mhz systems are strictly NFM. There are a few NFM systems on the various VHF/UHF & 800Mhz bands. But also alot of normal FM mode systems, these do not suffer too badly on the PRO-94. Good radio scanning-wise. But, very poor audio with the high levels of HISS/STATIC even on a system that has very strong signals.

K0DRA Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2006 22:05 Send this review to a friend
very positive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not experienced the hiss that some buyers have. The speaker is a bit weak but not anything that I would not have expected for such an item. The manual I downloaded and printed was very helpful and wasy to follow and I found this somewhat surprising. I did purchase a aftermarket antenna from Radio Shack, an 800 mghz type and it seems to work just fine. I purchased my Pro 94 for $60.00 on ebay and am very happy with it. I did not find any overall negatives about the scanner and would indeed recommend it to others.

N3KMJ Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2005 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Decent for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the PRO-94 yesterday 11/25/2005 at the Black Friday price of $75, if you want to snag one they'll be on sale through 11/26...better hurry. I spent nearly half a day with the Pro-94 and there's a lot to like and dislike about this scanner. Yes, there's an annoying hiss in the audio but it's not nearly as bad as some decribe. It's mainly caused by the crappy speaker AND the amount of signal strength recieved. I'll most likely replace it with the one described on mods.dk (Radio Shack #273-092). Another annoyance is the half second squelch tail that never goes away even when the knob is turned fully clockwise, but this is minor compared to the next *easy* fix. First and foremost, don't bother connecting the supplied flexibale antenna. As a matter of fact, don't even take it out of the plastic...throw it away or give it away because it's equivalent to a rubber dummy load. It's SO bad I thought the radio was defective at first until I tried others, then the PRO-94 came alive! Sensitivity seems very uniform across it's specified recieving range and suprisingly enough does a slightly better job on UHF then my PRO-97 with less then optimum antennas. I can't comment on trunking because there's really nothing for me to listen to where I live except for conventional repeater systems, and it does an excellent job at that. Hypersan and Hypersearch is extremely fast, blows away every other scanner I own. The two banks of 500 channels doesn't bother me, I have a hard time finding more than 200 frequencies of interest to listen to at any one time anyway. While others find this a drawback, I tend to like it. If there's channels that you don't listen to very often or that aren't active unless there's a disaster, program them into the 500 channel "B" bank. The manual is typical for Radio Shack, kind of vague and gets you up and running with most of the important features...no surprise there, but you can find a wealth of information on programming the PRO-94 in the Yahoo Group or a simple search on Google. It's important to mention there are/were two versions of the PRO-94, an "A" version that couldn't be programmed via computer, and a "B" version that CAN be via the RS #20-289 interface cable. If you buy or bought the PRO-94 in the past year then most likely it's a "B" version, just look for the PC/IF jack on the side. Probelm is, the ONLY software I'm aware of to program it is ScanCat Lite. The choice is yours whether to spend the extra money on a cable and software or finger poke till you have blisters. This scanner won't survive the 800Mhz rebanding due to begin spring of 2006, so if there's a Motorola trunked system that's an absolute must for you to listen to, don't buy this, but I might add there are several new scanners that cost much more that won't either. If you're looking for a new toy, backup scanner or as some of us call "a beater", you can't go wrong with the PRO-94 especially at the $75 sale price even with it's quirks. However, I wouldn't pay over $100 for this unit due to the fact that much better scanners can be had for about $50 more and I'm sure those will soon have dramatic price cuts as Christmas approaches.

KG0WX Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2004 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was hunting for deals and found a Pro 94 at a pawn shop for $169.95 with a condition 7 out of 10. I found a second one with all docs except the manual but with batteries for $89.95 that was a 9.8 out of 10.

I went home and checked eBay and eHam to get info. Found several on eBay for $80-$100. I also read the reviews here.

I called the $169 store and asked them if that was thier best price - yep. Went to the other shop and talked them down to $80 plus they have a 30 day waranty. Walked out with a nearly new '94.

Addressing some issues posted here:

"hissing" - minor issue. Really not bad if you consider that it *is* a handheld.

Speaker volume - mine's fine! It's loud enough to hurt your ears if you crank it up and put the scanner next to your head.

Alpha Tags - Yep - no tags. That sucks! Main reason it gets a 4 instead of a 5....

PC interface - none. Also sucks but the rig is easy & quick to program - I had 300 channels, 2 trunking systems and 75 talkgroups programmed in about 90 minutes.

1000 channels - this is NOT a 1000 channel scanner! It's got 2 seperate memory/mode banks, each with it's own settings & 500 channels.

Reciever performance - Sensitivity is great but the front end overloads if you hook up to a high gain antenna close to downtown - completley normal for a handheld, IMHO.

Backlight - Yep, you can't turn it on and leave it on *but* you can set the scanner to turn it on everytime a signal comes in. Just as good, IMHO.

WX Alert - Rig does do SAME weather alerts but IGNORES the SAME area codes and goes off if your WX freq broadcasts an alert for ANY area.

Battery life - The manual says it draws MAX 180 ma. Baloney! It drains AA batteries WAY to quick for that value.

Users Note: There is a Yahoo group for the Pro-94. It's called: "pro94owners" - last time I looked it had over 1,200 members!

Lot's of great help & info there.

KF6GOM Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2004 23:58 Send this review to a friend
great price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just picked one of these at a local RadioShack
for $99.00. loaded 4 AA batteries and it sounded great.scanning rate is really fast and the coverage of Bands is great.owners manual should be read cover to cover.overall really happy with purchase, will check if they have 1 more to buy.
this one will replace my BearCat 350A.

FIREFORCE1144 Rating: 2/5 Apr 5, 2004 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Needs a LOT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am looking at the New Pro 96, but this isnt a BAD scanner.. Just REALLY Needs Alpha Tags, for having 1000 channels. TO make it a little bit easier, I made a paper with what districts were what channels, example.. 1-50 is my county, 51-100 is Lucas co.. and so on.. its the only way I can distinguish the channels... :-(.

The radio, is the ONLY one, that dosent have programming software. Check out www.starrsoft.com for programming software for everything but this scanner.

N2ERN Rating: 3/5 Feb 28, 2004 16:09 Send this review to a friend
It's OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine on closeout at RS for 129.95.

Once I figured out that the thing "toggles" between BANK and LIST when you press the scan key, I had it made. My original problems were that I was scanning in LIST mode and didn't have any talk groups entered. DOH!.

The manual stinks, but I'm pleased with it (at the price). I bought it to receive my county EDACS system, and my power company's 900 system, and it does that just fine.

RS sells a 9V wall wart for the unit, which I recommend if you're going to use it at home, or you just might have a 9V 300 ma supply lying around

Lots of things could be better, but at 129.95, I couldn't be happier.

KC4MERK Rating: 3/5 Feb 10, 2004 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Decent basic scanner, could be better.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've give this a 3.5/5 if I could. I'll start with what I don't like.

No alpha tags.
No PC interface.
Did not come with an AC adapter or battery pack.
High initial learning curve for programming.

I have over 250 frequencies stored, and keeping track of just what is what with no alpha tags can be difficult. There's no PC interface, so it's manual programming all the way. I would have liked to have at least seen a AC adapter. That said, on a full charge it will last about two days on four Radio Shack NiMH AA's. The programming of this thing gave me the biggest headache initially.

That said, for the money, I couldn't find another scanner with this set of features. The programming is probably the biggest headache initially, and the manual is horrible. Once I figured it out, though, it was pretty easy. For those of you that have trouble programming the trunking ability, make sure trunking mode is off. Then press prgm, trunk, and select what bank you want it to go in by pressing the corrosponding number and E. After that select which trunking system your city uses (using the up and down arrows) and press E again. Now you'll see the first channel in the bank you selected. Put the first frequency in and press E. Now here's where I messed up. Don't go back to step one, press the prgm key again, and it will take you to the next channel, put the next trunking frequency in, and repeat until you have all the trunking frequencies in. Then press scan and src you should be scanning away. You can scan non-trunked signals as well, but it's kind of weird to do. Basically, you have to turn trunking off, then press scan. Select your trunking and non-trunking banks using the number keys, and turn trunking back on. Now you're scanning both.

Overall, it's a good scanner, but it's let down by a lot of small things, and its abysmal manual and arbitrary programming functions. I'm going to be getting my ham license soon, so I'm likely to take it back to Radio Shack and use the money for a nice "beginner" two meter mobile or hand-held. I'll probably wait 'till I have some more money to pick up the Pro-95, which has alpha-tags and PC programming.