Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner
Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: Follows analog Motorola I, II, I/II and GE/Ericsson (EDACS) trunked systems. 20 banks (50 channels each), 20 priority channels. Extended coverage: 29-54, 108-174, 216-225, 406-512, 806-960 (cellular excluded), and 1,240-1,300 MHz.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-94 1000 channel Dual Trunking Scanner.

DANG000 Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2004 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Frustrated In GA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not really qualified to leave a review. I'm asking for help. This is my first scanner. I have had it for over two years. I have just about given up trying to program it for use in "trunking mode" The instructions aren't clear enough for me. Anyone have a good tip for me. I would also appreciate a good source for frequencies.

NOBRAKES15 Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2004 02:57 Send this review to a friend
fun radio!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the scanner on Christmas to replace my 20 ch RCA 6100. It is great. The only thing I dont like is the speaker. It is too quiet. Other than that it is awesome.

I cant figure out how to get the 5 digit codes into the scanner though. Will someone please email me at Hydrothunder1232@comcast.net with instructions?

Thanks in advance

Aaron

HIKER44 Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2003 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this for about a year if not more and it has been a good radio. If it had a high quality speaker in it I would of rated it highly.
But other than the speaker it is a great radio. I
bought mine off of Ebay brand new for $50.00, I got
really lucky.
It is really not that hard to program if you're a
scanner nut like I am. The only thing bad is RS does
not sell the leather case for it any more, "Bummer"!
I am looking for a Leather Case if you can help me
email me at: hikerdude44@yahoo.com (Pro-94 Case)

LEFTYSTRAT Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2003 13:44 Send this review to a friend
excellent first scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not having a lot to compare it to, I like the unit. Great having all those channels. Got a nice deal on Ebay. No serious complaints.

Things I'd change:
1. make all 1000 channels accessible at the same time
2. option to turn backlight on until you want it off
3. alpha tags... oh God.. alpha tags
4. better speaker (phones can deafen you)
5. ability to scan trunked and non-trunked at the same time

I didn't have the difficulties others experienced with the manual. There are excellent resources online for frequencies and trunking.

Next time I'll get one that interfaces with the computer.

This will all be moot when my county goes digital, so it might be for sale soon :)

HIKER_44 Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2003 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad Scanner over all.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If the speaker was better I would give it a 5. I'm
sure you can put a better speaker in it. It wasn't at all hard to program but would be for someone who has never used a scanner it will take you alittle time to figure it out.
I'm now trying to locate a Leather case for it since Radio Shack doesn't have one for it. Anybody have any luck finding a Leather Case for it "Please" email me at; hikerdude44@yahoo.com
Over all this is a good Scanner(Except for speaker).

SCHENCKB Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2003 02:05 Send this review to a friend
First Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent first scanner. I just got it a few days ago (from ebay, used) and I have no complaints. Since I have no prior experience, I can't argue with the audio complaints I have heard about. I can agree with them a little, though, as I do believe that a better speaker could be installed (there is a mod out there to do it with part 273-092 I believe). I am now finding myself browsing the net looking for as many Rochester, MN frequencies as I can (gorey details from Mayo Clinic are kinda cool). Hope this helps!

KA5S Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2002 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Good basic trunking  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why, when there are much better handheld trunking scanners, would I use a 94? And yet, I find myself taking it on trips and keeping batteries in it. No alpha numeric display. A channel arrangment like two separate scanners with 500 channels each. No computer programming. No CTCSS capability. Needs all channels entered, not just control chanels.

Because it works. It's not spectacular. There's no bells and whistles. Plug in the frequencies, set the trunking mode, and listen. And the odd channel arrangement lets me program the home end in one 500 channel side, and the destination in the other.

Or I can put all my "suspicious" Secret Service, FBI, DEA, Air Force, Airport Security (etc.) in the hidden side - and innocuous ones in the visible 500. (heh!)

You can easily beat its price; it cost too much for what it does. But it just keeps on plugging away.

W0HYS Rating: 0/5 Sep 10, 2002 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Just enough for the city.........  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
And definitely not for use in the pristine countryside.
This P.O.S. Radio Scrap scanner has the most god-awful hiss and low audio anyone could never want in a radio, at any price.
Just turn it on, and read the measily book that comes with it. The illogical scheme, and pidgeon English will confuse anyone with even the most literate capabilities, just to get it up and hissing.
The "1000" channel capabilities it touts are actually 2 "500" channel capabilities, neither of which can be run continuously at the same punch.
The number of memorized talkgroups per trunking system is only 50, half of the typical 100 or more you find on more intelligently layed out trunked scanners.
Radio Scraps must have a riceboat load of these P.O.S.'s, because all I have seen for the last six months in their monthly flyer has been this howling dog!
Save your money; look elsewhere.............

KINGC Rating: 0/5 Sep 9, 2002 22:35 Send this review to a friend
What did you say?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not attacking anyone who proudly owns a RS Pro-94, but in the past month, I have tried to justify keeping one after purchasing it 4 different times. I was thinking the 4 AA battery solution was far superior to the BC245XLT shrink-wrap battery pack scanner I own, but every time, the inferior performance of the RS unit shown through.
1. It has just terrible receive audio; low and overdriven to distortion and flat-topping upon turning the volume almost up all the way , just to hear. It was also very 'hissy'. Just miserable, even after trying the add-on RS lapel mic. Perhaps a larger speaker, like a nice Motorola mobile speaker would be the cure here, but on a hh scanner for carrying around use?
2. Compared to my BC245XLT, receive was not as good, in fact, if the squelch was turned up just barely past initial threshold level, the signals from my local system control channel would go in-and-out. The poor receive signal combined with the audio hiss and distortion was just too much to take.
After trying four seperate units I have decided that the RS Pro94 is not a radio I could ever live with, not even for the $150 it has been on sale for at times in the past.

Steer clear away from this dog!

A2276 Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2002 18:04 Send this review to a friend
THIS IS A GREAT DEAL  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAD ABOUT 5 SCANNERS ALREADY AND OUT OF ALL OF THEM I LIKE THE PRO 94 BETTER THAN THE OTHERS. WHY? WELL, IS A TRUNKING SCANNER (even though i dont use trunking) 800MHZ AIR BAND. I USE IT MOSTLY TO TRACK DOWN AIRPLANES IN MY LOCAL AREA. THE PRICE I GOT IT WAS EXCELLENT!!! (less than half of what it cost) even though the suggested price is still good. if u have a chance to buy it, go for it. ps....i have a lot of frequencies from my local area if you need some, email me.