Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1KFX Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1KFX
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1KFX Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $varies w/exchange rate - ¥18
Description: 1.2 KW HF Linear Amplifier

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1KFX.

KA4LKQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2004 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent product and outstanding company. Shipment of new amp from Japan was five days door to door. Second amp bought and would recomend their products.

G4MJA Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2004 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp is a superb piece of equipment. Top quality components & construction. The over size fan & ducted cooling system ensure the unit barely gets warm even after hours of continous usage. Simple 'no fuss' controls, excellent metering, inbuilt low pass filter, ultra clean signal, silent switching - what more could you ask for? If you are looking for a solid state amp with fool proof protection - look no further unless you need 1KW output in which case the HL-2Kfx is the one to buy.

AA7DG Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2004 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Won't Sell It Ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for a year and it has performed flawlessly. I concur with all the previous reviews. Nibuki is a gentleman and a genuine pleasure to deal with.

K4AO Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2004 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent equipment and customer service from the Tokyo Hy-Power folks. Amp was ordered on Sunday and arrived here on Friday. Well packed and no shipping issues to deal with. Overall performance has been what I was hoping to achieve and while the lack of a U.S. distributor makes it necessary to import it directly from Tokyo, that is not a problem. Highly recommend this supplier and their equipment.

W1FYI Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2003 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product and Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't throw 5's around when I review equipment, but I must say that this solid state desktop amp lives up to the billing.

Dealing with Nobuki, has been a pleasure. I ordered two amps and had them shipped at separate times to different addresses. Both arrived as expected, packed totally immobile in double boxes. It took me 10 minutes to get it on the air and I've been using it ever since. Full power output, very low nose, instant on, 8 amp load on SSB, only 30 pounds, 110/115/220/230 switchable on the bottom.

Ergonomics are good and the foot print is small on the desktop, it's like running a 500 watt PEP output radio in one cabinet. Ready to go on all bands 80-10, no distortion, clean products and no extraneous noise.

Only recommendation for change that I have so far is that the SO-239s are a little too close together.

Nobuki kept me up to date on the shipping status by e-mail, usually responding within a few hours.

There may be less expensive products out there, but this one is built like a Sherman Tank and lives up to all representations, with customer service that is a model for the other companies.

Buy this product, it's worth the price.

N4JA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2003 14:14 Send this review to a friend
best solid state amp I've owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the amp for 1 week and there was a problem with the fan. Tokyo Hy-Power sent me a new amp without me sending the old amp back. They had a problem with the fans from the vendor. They paid the shippimg back to Japan when I returned the old amp. It only takes three or four days to receive the amp from Japan. The second amp is running flawlessly. Best solid state amp I have ever owned and I have had two ALS 600'S

NR1SS Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2003 22:43 Send this review to a friend
Perfect DX Traveling Companion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Another very nice piece of gear from THP labs. Customer response and service from Nobuki is beyond outstanding. He is quite a gentleman, which is an understatment. The amp is user friendly, quiet, it's small size and mass is perfect fit next to the xcvr. Not a complicated amp, 4xMRF-150's, no tune with all the controls and indications you need. SWR meter built-in, adjustable ALC, remote keying (ground the STBY RCA to go on-air), excellent protection crkts. It is a pleasure to use. Plug it in, wind it up, and let it go. Typically wired for 115/230 selectable from a slide switch on the bottom. Remember to use 15A fuses for 115VAC and 8A for 230 (fuses provided). Doesn't take much RF input to drive to full output, around 50W or so. This would be a perfect amp to travel on a hamcation to Aruba or a cabin in the mountains. Another big bang for the buck (or Yen) from THP.

N5ACM Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2003 10:52 Send this review to a friend
This amp is the way to go  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Gang,

I've had the HL-1KFx for a couple of weeks, so I normally wouldn't post a review, but since many folks have been contacting Alan for further information I thought that I would address that by including some numbers here. I also want to pass along that there are english pages at Tokyo Hy Power's website. Go to "Home", then click the red "English Pages" text and you will gain access to a list of products and information.

At this point I am completely satisfied and then some with this amp. No RFI, well built, and I mean very well built with the same MOSFETs used in the Yaesu Quadra and ICom PW-1. The case, switches and meter has a high quality look that matches up with the current crop of transceivers in your shack. I am using it with an LDG AT1000 tuner with absolutely flawless results, putting out 580watts peak. You tune the LDG at a max of 100w which is easy to do with the HL-1Kfx.

Operating this no tune amp with its protection circuits is a pleasure. For those who are wondering if an amp is worth purchasing, some quick testing demonstrated to me that 2-300 watts makes the difference between an enjoyable QSO and one that isn't worth the aggravation (unless of course, you are dx/contesting).

I would also like to emphasize emailing Nabuki Wakabayashi at THP's email address for further info. He took care of me so well that I called him internationally just to personally thank him for his efforts. I had the amp one week after ordering and paying by credit card.

SPECS.

Freq.Band
1.8 - 29.7MHz of all amateur bands including WARC bands.
Mode
100W max
RF Input (DC)
1.2kW peak max.
RF Out.
500W PEP max. ( 250W for RTTY, SSTV, AM, FM )
Power FET
MRF - 150 x 4
Circuitry
Class AB, push-pull
In/Out Connectors
SO - 239
Others
Protections against over-drive, over heat, high drain voltage, and faulty band setting. ALC out. Remote TX control.
Cooling
Forced air
Dimensions & Weight
232 (W) x142 (H) x350 (D) mm, 9.1(W) x5.6(H) x13.8(D)inches, approx. 14kgs., 30.8lbs

I should have mentioned that the HL-1Kfx includes an onboard power supply with voltage input as specified at time of purchase. The voltage can be switched between 110/220, 115/230 etc by a switch on the exterior of the amp. Additionally, the power supply voltage pairs can be changed by the owner by a simple rewire procedcure if needed.

AGYOUNG Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2003 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Quality 500w Solid State Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No tune, solid state desktop amplifer that is superbly constructed. I received mine one week after placing the order. A friend also ordered one a day earlier; his also only took a week for delivery.
Have only had it on the air for a day or so, but it seems to put out about 550 watts on 20 meters ssb. The few reports I have had have been excellent audio with a "booming signal". No tune, with protection for any possible malady makes the amp extremly user friendly. I can recommend this amplifier wholeheartely to anyone looking for a 500 watt solid state amp. Again, the design and workmanship are absolutely 1st class. There is no competition. I had looked at another 500-600 watt solid state amp, and there is no comparison. Nabuki at Tokyo Hy-Power was an absolute gentleman to speak with as well as correspond via email. The price at the going exchange rate is about $1200.00 and priority shipping is about $180.00 Very well boxed (very thick double boxes). This may be the best value in ham radio I have made.

W2VQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2003 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a HL-1KFX and got it on the air. Its compact, great workmanship, delivered to my door step approx 1 week after I placed the order. Am curently manually switching it in SSB with no ALC line....getting 500-600 watts power out on SSB and getting great audio reports states side and DX. Also no TVI reports from elsewhere in the house. Drivng a Sigma 5 vertical with no matching network.

Purchased it due to my excellent experience owning an HL50B which I use with my FT817. This has to be the best product in its class! The fan is a bit loud, other than that you will be delighted with this product! Manual is in English and unit comes pre-configured for the line voltage you specify. Nabuki-san at THP can converse with you in English via email to get the product ordered and correct shipping information.