Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna
Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: The UHV-6 is Cometís 3rd generation HF ĖUHF mobile antenna, <br> and itís the best! Without the HF coils attached, the UHV-6 is a tribander for 6M/2M/70cm. The top of the element has a threaded socket for attaching the HF coil of your choice, now itís a quad-band antenna! <br> <br>
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/uhv-6_product_information.htm

You can write your own review of the Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna.

VE3LNU Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2014 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Great HF mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having recently purchased and reviewed this antenna, I failed to mention the issue that other reviewers have noted: you absolutely must use Loctite or a similar thread locker on the set screws for this antenna. I have done that and the antenna coils and set screws now seem to be holding together nicely. I still think this is a small price to pay for the performance I get from this antenna. Recent mobile contacts have included the Czech Republic and Ukraine on 40m, and New Zealand on 10m. No complaints. My original review comments are shown below.

Like a few other reviewers, I had been using mini-hamsticks mounted in the centre of the truck roof, running an IC 706MKIIG with an LDG autotuner. I finally decided I wanted multi-band operation but didn't like the idea of the heaiver, more expensive screwdriver antenna. This antenna has been the answer to my prayers.

I mounted mine on a Diamond K-400 mount fastened to the upper left of the rear hatch on my old 4Runner truck. Far from ideal for installing a mobile antenna, I thought. However, a recent 15m SSB QSO from Toronto to the Czech Republic with a 58 report suggests that the UHV-6 does at least as well as my previous setup. Reception and reports are excellent on 40m as well!

I was able to easily tune the 40m and 15m coils so that I can use my favourite parts of the phone bands without the antenna tuner. Bandwidth is more than adequate! Bonus: on 6m I can operate at both ends of the band (SSB and FM) without using the tuner, either. I will be purchasing the optional 20m coil soon. I may also get the 17m coil, but for now have found that I can operate on 17 with the 15m coil using the autotuner, and still get good strong reception.

I will not be worried about driving on the highway with the 40m coil up top and two additional (smaller) coils side-mounted. The antenna seems strong enough to me. Then again, if anyone has had their UHV-6 fly apart on the highway, I'd love to see a review on that. :)

73 and enjoy.

VE3LNU Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2014 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Great value, great performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

73 and enjoy.

VE6BGM Rating: 2/5 Feb 6, 2014 21:03 Send this review to a friend
My use is different  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had great success with 2 m and 70 cm use. But the HF bands have not been much more than poor. Mind you, I am using it as a base antenna without any ground radials. But I can't complain about 2 and 70.

K3XZ Rating: 2/5 Feb 6, 2014 17:54 Send this review to a friend
proformance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using this antenna for a year now. Once I cut the stinger to freq 10,15, 40 I was able to transmit with out tuning up. I have receive great radio report on HF band, but on 6 meter is set to 52mhz from the factor and way out of tune on 50.125 where every one hangs out, swr are to high and there no way I found to cut the antenna with out screwing up the other hf bands. On two meter has very very bad transmit. I can only reach repeater in a 5 mile range. So I think it sucks for 2- meter and 6-meter but work fine for HF bands, that my story and I;m sticking to it.

WX4BK Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2013 13:58 Send this review to a friend
A really good "Budget Antenna"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've run this antenna with a 2M/440 radio for over a year now and just now have tried it out on HF. A few friends and I were seeing how well we could work 10 Meters locally on a Saturday afternoon in October and I made contact with a gentleman from California who just happened to be on frequency!

It works great as a 2M/440 antenna, but I just noticed the SWR seems (now) to be a little lopsided and high closer to 148Mhz (1.1 at 144.5, 2.5 at 147.5). It was pretty flat when I first installed it, so it may be a cable/ground issue.

The fold-over feature is a really good selling point! Fairly fast to drop it going into a parking garage and just as fast to raise back up when leaving.

I'd recommend this antenna for someone who is looking for a good cost/performance compromise.

NB4M Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amazed at the improved performance over my Hustlers and "hamstick" type antennas, although half the size.
SUV rear hatch mount travels well utilizing primarily the 40m coil and, regardless of band conditions, I am able to make QSO's at will with 25w. Smaller, lighter - exceptional value.

VE4TTH Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2012 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I read the reviews of several mobile antennas, and settled for this one. I wasn't expecting much, actually, I was expecting it to be flimsy and prone to failure based on the reviews. What I have experienced, is far better than some of the reviews suggest.

First off, I have the antenna mounted on my truck, with a custom made mount that places the antenna at the front of the box, behind the cab, in the center of the truck. I have 4 coils attached all the time, the 10M, 15M, 20M, and 40M. I have noticed that the antenna does sway back and forth while at hyway speeds, but this was not a surprise. I made sure that all the lock nuts and allen screws were tight, and I added a drop of locktight to the screws just as an added precaution. So far, after over 9 months in service, I have not had to service this antenna one bit.

As for performance, I am using an Icom IC-7000 with the LDG tuner and a Comet diplexor. I have made contacts with all of N.A. and Canada, Australia, Kazakstan, Europe, and parts of South America. This is a "mobile" antenna, and obviously propogation conditions play a big role in making contacts. But the antenna does work, and works well. The band width is quite narrow, so an antenna tuner is mandatory if you want to use most or all of the bands. With my antenna tuner I have a seamless use of all the bands from 70cm to 40M, including the WARC bands. I have the 80M coil, but it is large, and I don't feel the need to push my luck at this point and travel with it on. When I am parked for a while at night, I have screwed on the 80M coil and the performance was acceptable but not outstanding.

A little common sense when installing the antenna is mandatory! Use locktight on the screws and nuts! This will prevent them from backing out from the vibration and abuse it will see as a mobile antenna. If you do this, you will greatly reduce any issues.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2010 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Yet more feedback  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have to say some more about this antenna, even though I've written twice. I built a quad-band (70 CM/1.25 M/2 M/6 M) antenna which was a bit of a bust and a couple of j-poles at my base station, which are only marginal and which I have had connected to LMR-400 (BTW, I wouldn't go with any other coax (unless it was a thicker LMR), especially at the higher frequencies) at my home QTH. In a last ditch effort to get some HF out of this, I put it on my roof (on my swamp cooler, which serves as a ground plane and which surprisingly gives me no electrical noise when the cooler's on), so it's about 40 ft. up (I used a tri-mag mount to keep it from falling over in the wind, which it did up there once on a single mag). I gave up on my other base station VHF/UHF antennas and gave up on using this one for an HF, opting for a Butternut, which could still be improved upon.

When I used this antenna with the expectation of a VHF/UHF antenna only, it was brilliant! I live in Layton, UT and can hit the Mt. Logan repeater, all the Provo/Orem area repeaters with 5W, across mountain ranges and you name it. Basically, I can hit 2-3 times as many repeaters with it up there than I did before. The SWR was lower than any antenna I have ever hooked up to my radio before on 2 M and 70 CM. Maybe the height is the main factor here, but I would buy this antenna again just on the basis I've named - as the best UHF/VHF base station antenna I've ever had. Maybe I could do even better with a yagi, although I doubt I would need a yagi (I already hit almost every single repeater around me within a 90-mile radius and can do simplex across huge distances also.) So I've found a good use for it after all.

N4KC Rating: 3/5 May 25, 2010 19:27 Send this review to a friend
It is what it is  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted a quick, easy way to get on HF mobile for the first time in my 47 years of being a ham. I enter a parking deck every day and have to use others--including one particularly bad one at the airport--on a regular basis. That made a typical screwdriver or a large mobile antenna impractical. Then a friend recommended the UHV-6. I ordered it and a 3D5M coax assembly, plus the optional 17M loading coil from Universal.

The coil was backordered but the other items arrived and it was a quick install on the rail of my Dodge Dakota pickup, once I was able to get that 5/8-inch hole drilled for the mount. About 45 minutes with my antenna analyzer and I had the various coils/stingers trimmed and tuned for the portions of each band I expected to be using the most.

Plusses: This appears to be a pretty good 70CM, 2 and 6 meter antenna as is, and that is the way I leave it most of the time. The various coils are quick to install, and perfect for my typical use...sitting under a pine tree on my lunch break, listening and making the occasional contact. The antenna and its accessories appear to be quite sturdy and well made. When I get to a parking deck or on those rare occasions when I wash the old beast, it takes me five seconds to unscrew the antenna from the mount and put it in the back seat. I could, of course, use the tilt option, but frankly, it is just as easy to take the antenna off completely.

Negatives: Maybe I'm just nervous, but I could not imagine doing much driving with more than one of the coils installed, and NEVER with the 40M attached. The antenna is quite stiff with little play and that puts a lot of stress on the point where it screws onto the mount. I did "guy" it in one direction with a length of rope to the tie-down in the truck bed to brace it against the wind when driving and it seems to make it much more stable. I have driven quite a bit with the 17M coil attached and it seems to do okay. I also screw the coils into the antenna horizontally, which is a neat option. I cannot tell any difference in performance results between that configuration and putting them on vertically. Still, I don't think I would ever put more than one coil/stinger on at a time if I was going to be in motion. As expected, it is very narrow-banded on 40M, and only a little better on 20M.

Overall: OK. I don't have anything else to compare it to, but it allows me to listen, and I have made some decent contacts. But I take pride in my home station antennas and typically am able to make contact with anyone I hear. Not from the truck! Still, it does exactly what I wanted it to do, and pretty much what the manufacturer says it will do, though nothing psectacular. I'm willing to accept some compromised performance in exchange for convenience...and the alternative would be no HF in the vehicle at all.

(By the way, I cannot imagine anyone would use this antenna for a stealth base station setup. There are many far better solutions.)

Don Keith N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

KG6TII Rating: 3/5 May 24, 2010 16:41 Send this review to a friend
so so  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this antenna on my (big rig) truck and my jeep (now permanently attached).

It is extremely flimsey as designed. The various vertical elements are too small in diameter so they just whip about. I suppose it could be drilled out and a larger metal rod inserted to stop it - but it problably will whip around also.

MY SOLUTION:

I cut a piece of 1/2" "electrical PVC" (grey stuff) to just fit from the top "spider" to the bottom connector. I beveled the ends to make it more compatable (no sharp edges). I also wrapped electrical tape around the middle coil to fill the space in the PVC. This keeps the antenna from moving inside of the PVC. Even not tied down, this really stopped the whipping around down to a minor problem.

When I put it on my jeep, I used the PVC untill I put up my rack, then I removed the PVC and tied it off to the rack. I put a rubber "bumper" on the upper coil to act as a shock absorber as it whipped around (its tied off so the whipping is only inches). It now works just fine.

I have the L-7 up top and 3 more radially around the spider.